Key West Impressions >

Key West Impressions

Notices

Key West Impressions

Old 11-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts
Key West Impressions

Well, we had a great time in Key West....the only people that I ran into that still remembered me was Pepe from Pantera, Larry Smith the Scarab designer from the West coast, Bill Gazell ...... I never got to see Al Copeland, but that was about it from my era. Talk about feeling like a stranger in paradise.

A couple of impressions ......The race course is very restricted and cramped as compared to the old days. I really give the guys a lot of credit for handling the speeds and the tight turns they are required to do, especially with the handling of stepped hulls.

Since the conditions within the harbor were quite calm, I was surprised at how many boats broke, either with mechanical problems or hull and deck problems.

I know the canopies are the safest thing to come along in quite a while, but I really miss seeing the people working at their jobs, driving, throttling or navigating.....some boats didn't even have a compass, so I guess with the short course there was no need for anything but the GPS units.

I'm not saying the old days were better or worse, just different from what they are doing now. But racers will race anytime anywhere and that is still very much evident with the current group. They put on a great show.

We did meet a banana 24 owner, who was also acting as a safety boat in the harbor. He was a very enthusiastic owner and loved his boat and how well it handles.

I could see some areas of the sport that are not being addressed and my son and I feel that we should go to the next step in our discussions and see where that brings us....as usual we are proceeding slowly.

So as my first post with my new membership, I want to thank you for all your kind words and encouragement.

Charlie Sr.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Key West Impressions

Let me be the first to say Welcome, and I hope you brought some pics to post from Key West.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Key West Impressions

Heatbuzz....thank you. No we have no photos, both of us forgot the cameras thinking the other would have one.

I did get a pebble in my shoe though from Pepe.....can't stop thinking about it......do you guys know about the race next June from Miami to Nassau to Carolina Beach, To Atlantic City and then to New York???

That is the kind of thing that appeals to old guys like Pepe and me....you know old age and treachery will win over youth and reflexes every time. We both know how to build a boat for the long run, one that will stay together for 1500 miles or so over 5 days of racing....now to just find the right sponsor!!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2004, 04:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome back Papa Banana...
Old 11-23-2004, 05:13 AM
Registered

Welcome Back, That sounds like quite an interesting race. Can't wait to see what you guys put together for a boat!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Charlie, You can not imagine what a great time it was talking about "OUR" old days!
It was like being there all over again. We have both been blessed w/ having wonderfull sons.
Now, for the business @ hand: " Miami - New York" We may have a last hurrah to show the young ones what men were made of back in the old days! Oh, those big seas, I love them, a place to show a different kind of skill called "cojones" Take care and stay in touch, Pepe @ Pantera boats.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Registered

Hello Pepe,

Your Pantera boats kick ass...

Welcome to the Banana Board.

Chris
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Chris, I had a wonderfull time reminiscing w/ MR. Top Banana. Later, Pepe @ Pantera.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Registered

Charley, It is because of guys like you, Pepe, Bill. etc that I grew up idolizing, that I am involved in this sport. It was an honor to meet you in Key West and I look foward to seeing a Banana out ther again next year.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Registered

Pepe

Yes I remember that skill that you speak of. I remember one race in San Francisco that we went out under the Golden Gate bridge and headed for a checkpoint somewhere way out in the ocean.

We started running into fog banks and as we entered the first bank I remember thinking that I would take a chance and keep the throttles open so when we came out the other side the guys next to me would be gone due to their slowing down in the fog.

Well, through the bank we go and seconds later, which seemed like an eternity, we come out the other side and I look around and on one side was Bill Elswick and on the other was Joel Halpern....nobody had cut back in the fog we just kept going porked.

A little while later coming out of another fog bank together I looked up and saw a big gray cliff in front of the boat and heard this weird noise....I was totally disoriented I couldn't figure out where we were with a cliff..... this was the middle of the Pacific ocean. And this noise was really weird even over the roar of the race engines. All this happened in a few seconds.

Then we all realized what was happening, and we started turning the boats as fast as we could. The wall was the side of an aircraft carrier, and the weird noise was our helicopters climbing for the sky trying to avoid hitting the side of the carrier. The navy was out there doing secret exercises and race control and the Coast Guard didn't know about it.

Thank God we all turned together and not into each other. Combine that with a rainy, foggy race in 6 to 8 footers at speed....it's a good thing we were young and didn't know any better.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Key West Impressions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.