Getting ripped off on engines!!!!!!!

Notices

Getting ripped off on engines!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IBsteph
hi there,

Just to inform you that we have taken down these ads and we have IP banned this guy. We do not have any private information on this person , but even if we had ,we are not legally allowed to share such things on the boards. The best thing is to contact the police , who can contact paypal if they have to -and work with them on tracking him down.

Good luck and keep us posted on any updates!
you say you IP banned him, then why does the email from OSO state that the IP address was gone when the ad was pulled.

If you/OSO wanted you could set the rules anyway you want when accepting a classified ad, you could write in the contract or whatever the classified advertiser signs or sets up prior to running an ad that if there is reasonable proff that the ad was intended to defraud then you will turn over any and all personal information on the advertiser to the person that lost money. Possibly it would nip the fradulent classifieds from being posted. Like I posted earlier this is not ebay or Craig's list, this is a forum based on members with a hobby and I think you owe the board a little bit more protection in this type of matter.

I also feel that it is differnt when working with business advertisers, I think you cannot police them the same way since their ads are more general and does not cover one patricular sale like a classified ad does.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i got screwed also from him i did a wire transfer and never got the motors.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant hardly beleive the response this has gotten!!! Thanks so much to you all for your positve comments and ideas!!! The power of this thread shall go as far if not further than I imagined, It was my very first thread I started on this board and I have never commented on anyone elses, I am a newbie on OSO and I did this on a whim, hoping someone would take interest in following it, and low and behold it worked!!!!!!! I cant thank all of you enough, this case is far from over, I just cant belive how well this seems to be working I am in debt to you all, THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chrisasche
I cant hardly beleive the response this has gotten!!! Thanks so much to you all for your positve comments and ideas!!! The power of this thread shall go as far if not further than I imagined, It was my very first thread I started on this board and I have never commented on anyone elses, I am a newbie on OSO and I did this on a whim, hoping someone would take interest in following it, and low and behold it worked!!!!!!! I cant thank all of you enough, this case is far from over, I just cant belive how well this seems to be working I am in debt to you all, THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!
As I suggested, the IP address is direct line to him ... Get the police to get warrant for the IP and track him like a hungry bloodhound.

Looks like a bunch of folks got ripped off by this scum bag and with the success he's had here ... he WILL BE BACK to strike again! This must be stopped here.

You are welcome and BTW ... Welcome to OSO dude! Not many have come here, phucked with one of our own, and gotten away with it Scotty Free ... (pun intended )

Chris
Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
As I suggested, the IP address is direct line to him ... Get the police to get warrant for the IP and track him like a hungry bloodhound.

Looks like a bunch of folks got ripped off by this scum bag and with the success he's had here ... he WILL BE BACK to strike again! This must be stopped here.

You are welcome and BTW ... Welcome to OSO dude! Not many have come here, phucked with one of our own, and gotten away with it Scotty Free ... (pun intended )

Chris
He wont be getting very far at all. There is a warrant out for his arrest in this matter. If all goes well, he will get hung out to dry in the legal system!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us know how it goes, I wound up getting a thread deleted over your situation. I would like OSO to change their policy regarding the classified section so that they would give more protection to buyers who are often members. But instead of hearing what the membership had to say, they asked me to delete it my thread, since I did not act quick enough they deleted if for me
Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 798 Likes on 260 Posts

Play nicely when you biitch, it's a big no no to name call members.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Sun, sand and sea!
Gold Member

I don't typically get into these threads but I have to make a couple of statements. First, the way that some people do "business" these days is reprehensible and not "business" at all. Second, to lose that amount of money to most everyone is a hard blow to take and I feel for everyone that has lost money to these types of people. Especially after having come justthisclose to being taken in January over a transmission.

If you have to do business over the 'net, let me sum up some guidelines:

1. Do your homework, know exactly what you should be getting.
2. Pictures, LOTS of pictures, preferably date stamped. I realize this can be manipulated, however, some digital photos have metatags embedded and there are enough pros around here that might be able to get that info for you.
3. Do your absolute best to actually lay eyes on what you are buying. If you can't, post here asking if there is someone in the area that will do it for you. And take photos. We have ALL seen the stories and I believe most anyone here will do what they can to help a fellow OSOer NOT get ripped off.
4. When in doubt, ask. Put up a post asking if anyone here knows or has heard of the person or company. This community is a hard place to hide in. The long arm of OSO is a hard thing to escape.
5. Get everything you can in writing. What you are getting down to the nuts and bolts, the dollar amout for the item and shipping, when shipping will happen, tracking number, you name it.
6. Use Paypal or some form of payment that gives you recourse should something go wrong. A wire transfer alone gives you nothing. As far as the bank is concerned, you are just a generous soul that decided to give some money to their customer. Beyond that, I won't say they don't care, but they have nothing to do with the item-for-cash transaction part of it. They simply accept the transfer into their customer's account.
7. Google is a wonderful tool. Make use of it. Google that address, look at the map, use sattelite view. Don't send your money to the address of a vacant lot. Again, research!
8. If, sadly, you do get taken for your hard earned cash; RUN not walk to your nearest police department and file a report. Also get in touch with the police department in the town of the seller. Laws are not the same everywhere, you have to know what applies to your situation. Much can be done without hiring an attorney.

No one here WANTS to get ripped off. As decent human beings, we want to trust in our fellow man. The sad fact is, sometimes that trust is misplaced. It happens to most everyone in some way at some time. The fact that it happens when you try your best to prevent it doesn't make you that sucker that was born in your minute. I certainly don't want anyone to think that I am saying that, far from it.

Now I am going to get to the second thing that burns me about this. Offshore Only has a long history of making every attempt possible to help members deal with this sort of situation. Why in the world would anyone even think that this is not the case this time? Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, perhaps full knowledge is needed. OSO did NOT handle the transaction, merely provided the forum for it to take place. This does NOT make them responsible for the transaction. As a matter of fact, OSO had no more information on the person that posted the ad than the buyer did. Yes, the information was shared. It is kind of hard for OSO to give information they don't have, now isn't it? The actual ad was deleted when the swindle was made known. Your moderators took care of that. However, there is only so much they can do. IB had to take care of banning the IP. Which they did shortly after, as IBSteph indicated. You can only get so much information from an IP address to begin with.

Now, when a member is asked to delete a thread, it is done for a reason. When that member chooses to not do as they are asked, then it is the moderators job to handle it as they see fit. They don't make random requests with no reason. Frankly, I find it offensive that anyone would think that OSO would not help in any way they can. Perhaps if that is what you think of the owners and moderators of OSO then maybe this isn't the place for you.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered

you say you IP banned him, then why does the email from OSO state that the IP address was gone when the ad was pulled
Good point.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ange
I don't typically get into these threads but I have to make a couple of statements. First, the way that some people do "business" these days is reprehensible and not "business" at all. Second, to lose that amount of money to most everyone is a hard blow to take and I feel for everyone that has lost money to these types of people. Especially after having come justthisclose to being taken in January over a transmission.

If you have to do business over the 'net, let me sum up some guidelines:

1. Do your homework, know exactly what you should be getting.
2. Pictures, LOTS of pictures, preferably date stamped. I realize this can be manipulated, however, some digital photos have metatags embedded and there are enough pros around here that might be able to get that info for you.
3. Do your absolute best to actually lay eyes on what you are buying. If you can't, post here asking if there is someone in the area that will do it for you. And take photos. We have ALL seen the stories and I believe most anyone here will do what they can to help a fellow OSOer NOT get ripped off.
4. When in doubt, ask. Put up a post asking if anyone here knows or has heard of the person or company. This community is a hard place to hide in. The long arm of OSO is a hard thing to escape.
5. Get everything you can in writing. What you are getting down to the nuts and bolts, the dollar amout for the item and shipping, when shipping will happen, tracking number, you name it.
6. Use Paypal or some form of payment that gives you recourse should something go wrong. A wire transfer alone gives you nothing. As far as the bank is concerned, you are just a generous soul that decided to give some money to their customer. Beyond that, I won't say they don't care, but they have nothing to do with the item-for-cash transaction part of it. They simply accept the transfer into their customer's account.
7. Google is a wonderful tool. Make use of it. Google that address, look at the map, use sattelite view. Don't send your money to the address of a vacant lot. Again, research!
8. If, sadly, you do get taken for your hard earned cash; RUN not walk to your nearest police department and file a report. Also get in touch with the police department in the town of the seller. Laws are not the same everywhere, you have to know what applies to your situation. Much can be done without hiring an attorney.

No one here WANTS to get ripped off. As decent human beings, we want to trust in our fellow man. The sad fact is, sometimes that trust is misplaced. It happens to most everyone in some way at some time. The fact that it happens when you try your best to prevent it doesn't make you that sucker that was born in your minute. I certainly don't want anyone to think that I am saying that, far from it.

Now I am going to get to the second thing that burns me about this. Offshore Only has a long history of making every attempt possible to help members deal with this sort of situation. Why in the world would anyone even think that this is not the case this time? Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, perhaps full knowledge is needed. OSO did NOT handle the transaction, merely provided the forum for it to take place. This does NOT make them responsible for the transaction. As a matter of fact, OSO had no more information on the person that posted the ad than the buyer did. Yes, the information was shared. It is kind of hard for OSO to give information they don't have, now isn't it? The actual ad was deleted when the swindle was made known. Your moderators took care of that. However, there is only so much they can do. IB had to take care of banning the IP. Which they did shortly after, as IBSteph indicated. You can only get so much information from an IP address to begin with.

Now, when a member is asked to delete a thread, it is done for a reason. When that member chooses to not do as they are asked, then it is the moderators job to handle it as they see fit. They don't make random requests with no reason. Frankly, I find it offensive that anyone would think that OSO would not help in any way they can. Perhaps if that is what you think of the owners and moderators of OSO then maybe this isn't the place for you.
good read till the last paragraph
nice attitude get over yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.