Getting ripped off on engines!!!!!!! >

Getting ripped off on engines!!!!!!!

Notices

Getting ripped off on engines!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisasche
thanks guys, and oso wont give up any info on that, i have tried to sent several emails to them, but no good leads as of yet, gonna keep tryin
This statement that OSO will not give up info that might help track the guy down is disturbing to me, especially if there was a police report filed. If I am following the thread correctly several people or at least one other person was taken by this guy through the OSO classifieds, so why don't they help. I know it is naive but often Ian and I will pay up front or a ship a part without money first because the deal was done via OSO.

Chris, I don't mean to suggest you were wrong, because my husband and I could have easily had something like this happen to us, but the thread has got me thinking of ways to avoid this without having to drive or fly cross country before buying something. Perhaps OSO owes it to us, but I think they should do more to insure the identity of the person that advertises a high ticket item is on the up and up. What about asking for a copy of a drivers license number or passport, have it faxed before excepting an ad for anything over $500.00 or $1,000.00. Us buyers should also get in the habit of doing something like that as well, or have a someone check it out for you. I realize that there might be a way of fabricating a license but it will still weed some of the fraud stuff out.

Did OSO give a reason they would not help, that's why I miss the old days when Steve was around, ten to one, he would have helped. Good luck, Donna

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 06-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
This statement that OSO will not give up info that might help track the guy down is disturbing to me, especially if there was a police report filed. If I am following the thread correctly several people or at least one other person was taken by this guy through the OSO classifieds, so why don't they help. I know it is naive but often Ian and I will pay up front or a ship a part without money first because the deal was done via OSO.

Chris, I don't mean to suggest you were wrong, because my husband and I could have easily had something like this happen to us, but the thread has got me thinking of ways to avoid this without having to drive or fly cross country before buying something. Perhaps OSO owes it to us, but I think they should do more to insure the identity of the person that advertises a high ticket item is on the up and up. What about asking for a copy of a drivers license number or passport, have it faxed before excepting an ad for anything over $500.00 or $1,000.00. Us buyers should also get in the habit of doing something like that as well, or have a someone check it out for you. I realize that there might be a way of fabricating a license but it will still weed some of the fraud stuff out.

Did OSO give a reason they would not help, that's why I miss the old days when Steve was around, ten to one, he would have helped. Good luck, Donna
I went over and talked to my neighbor about this, who is a State District Judge, and he said that you can get an attorney to file for a supena and OSO will have to cough up the information. He also said that if push came to shove...charges could be filed against OSO also for hindering and if you wanted to get cute...aiding and abeding could be tossed into the pot against OSO. He said it might not stick, but money will be spent on their part for defense and if this has happened on this site numerous times...that will NOT look good in court towards OSO. With todays courts, OSO could also be held liable.

As far as having everyone certified...sorta speak...sounds like a good idea, but the best solution would be to go look at whatever it being sold...but it right then or walk away...especially if someone balks on you coming out to see whatever it is. If you decide to buy it right then...then pay for it, load it, and take it to a storage facility until you cango home and get whatever it is that you will need to go get it. Better yet is to bring it to a fellow OSO'rs place and leave it there. I have stored stuff for several people that bought stuff out here and they went home and came back after it...no problems. Good luck on whatever you do.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

OSO, now or then, would not have helped someone, especially against an advertiser. The only option would be a court order for the ISP. Most likely the police will say that it is a civil matter and not press fraud charges, this is what happened in my case against a then oso advertiser, now just a member, which among other things involved purchases a pair of engines. Paid in full for them but then never received them.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
I went over and talked to my neighbor about this, who is a State District Judge, and he said that you can get an attorney to file for a supena and OSO will have to cough up the information. He also said that if push came to shove...charges could be filed against OSO also for hindering and if you wanted to get cute...aiding and abeding could be tossed into the pot against OSO. He said it might not stick, but money will be spent on their part for defense and if this has happened on this site numerous times...that will NOT look good in court towards OSO. With todays courts, OSO could also be held liable.
Hiring an attorney is expensive, probably at least $1,000.00 or more. The guy is already out a bunch of money and something tells me, that like I, he does not have money to burn.

OSO is not Craigs list or Ebay, it's a forum based on membership, albeit it has changed and many of us gave up paying when things changed, be it it is still more of club, than about selling items. I think when the intention of the seller seems to be to committ a fraud, then OSO hould help however they can. Didn't OSO/Steve help when Gino go taken for money with Big Scotty.

Am I missing something about the fact OSO will not help. Don't you need a cc or paypal account to place an add, can't info be gotten from that.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
OSO, now or then, would not have helped someone, especially against an advertiser. The only option would be a court order for the ISP. Most likely the police will say that it is a civil matter and not press fraud charges, this is what happened in my case against a then oso advertiser, now just a member, which among other things involved purchases a pair of engines. Paid in full for them but then never received them.
Was your deal in the classified section or with someone that had a banner ad.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiring an attorney is expensive, probably at least $1,000.00 or more. The guy is already out a bunch of money and something tells me, that like I, he does not have money to burn.

OSO is not Craigs list or Ebay, it's a forum based on membership, albeit it has changed and many of us gave up paying when things changed, be it it is still more of club, than about selling items. I think when the intention of the seller seems to be to committ a fraud, then OSO hould help however they can. Didn't OSO/Steve help when Gino go taken for money with Big Scotty.

Am I missing something about the fact OSO will not help. Don't you need a cc or paypal account to place an add, can't info be gotten from that.
I asked for the IP and registration info for the as placer several times and here were the responses

The IP was not traced. It was removed with the listing.
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Christian Kentling <[email protected]> wrote:
Do you have the IP info from the poster so it can be back traced?

Thanks

Hi,

No we don't since we removed the listing.
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Christian Kentling <[email protected]> wrote:
Well dang… Thanks I appreciate it. Do you have any of the registration info from when they registered to post the listing?

Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2010 11:28 AM
Old 06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

In the classified it says call Kenny offshore.

I did not see what payment method was required to place an ad, but I would assume either visa or paypal, can't they give that info to the police or FBI or whoever else this rip off scheme has been filed with. I would also think the authorities if they were trying to solve this would have asked for that info already

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 06-07-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

I agree with Griff. That is very fishy. I would've never done it if I was there. Wonder why

Full Ride scholarships

Easy scholarships

Strange scholarships

Hero scholarship

Last edited by rifat1100; 08-06-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Registered

Was your deal in the classified section or with someone that had a banner ad.
They were a paid advertiser. They had a banner and still are a popular member. OSO office has a copy of the judgement for 80k, still have not seen a dime.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

hi there,

Just to inform you that we have taken down these ads and we have IP banned this guy. We do not have any private information on this person , but even if we had ,we are not legally allowed to share such things on the boards. The best thing is to contact the police , who can contact paypal if they have to -and work with them on tracking him down.

Good luck and keep us posted on any updates!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.