Dead beat engine builders >

Dead beat engine builders

Notices

Dead beat engine builders

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
Thank you Uncle Dave. I have many 540 motors out there...all running strong and I do not charge an arm or a leg for them. All the internals are what I consider the best that money can buy. Do a GOOGLE for MotorsbyShooter.
No problem just pointing out what seems to be working.
You have a combination that seems to work at a reasonable cost and your clients are happy, and your dyno numbers repeat. BTW - quite the squeaky clean shop. (looks like all of mine)

Love the valve train lesson with Carly Simon, Neil young etc. in the background with you talking over the tunes... seems to me you are a regular guy that got fed up getting screwed and decided to handle the issue yourself. Respect.

Heres another group to stay away from- there was a gas station in Parker Az called "Manor Mobile"- tons of boats in the lot and in the stall always busy- he got the engine after dave Smiths magic build ended in minutes (I could have done that for the costs of parts alone)

The Manor Mobile guys build lasted 2 months before ending in calamity- I chalked it up to too much compression on a supercharged engine in the hot parker air, and a lack of skill in jetting the carbs correctly.

Ill think of a few more (unfortunately)

Uncle Dave
Old 06-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
No problem just pointing out what seems to be working.
You have a combination that seems to work at a reasonable cost and your clients are happy, and your dyno numbers repeat. BTW - quite the squeaky clean shop. (looks like all of mine)

Love the valve train lesson with Carly Simon, Neil young etc. in the background with you talking over the tunes... seems to me you are a regular guy that got fed up getting screwed and decided to handle the issue yourself. Respect.

Heres another group to stay away from- there was a gas station in Parker Az called "Manor Mobile"- tons of boats in the lot and in the stall always busy- he got the engine after dave Smiths magic build ended in minutes (I could have done that for the costs of parts alone)

The Manor Mobile guys build lasted 2 months before ending in calamity- I chalked it up to too much compression on a supercharged engine in the hot parker air, and a lack of skill in jetting the carbs correctly.

Ill think of a few more (unfortunately)

Uncle Dave

You are correct...I blew a head gasket when Dereberry screwed me over and I have called him out on several times, but he ALWAYS runs to hide. I have always been involved with racing...usually drag racing and I know that a drag race motor will not hunt in a normal boat...so I went to self-learning school and did exactly as I was told and shown. The guys that taught me dont give a damn about boat motors but they are highly known Pro-Stock drag race guys. I am not in competition with them and they are not in competition with me resulting in a great relationship. I dont know how many motors I have done...havent kept count, but most are in the 650 HP range. There are some under that and some over that...I just give the customer what they asked for. But the one thing I will say is that NONE of my motors have had any issues or blown up and a few of the guys that have them only know of 2 speeds...balls out or sitting. All the big named guys...Teague, Paul Paff, Cobra, etc...sell their motors for 2-1/2 to 3 times more than what I charge for mine and I use the same quality of parts and I get the same, if not more, horsepower and torque. Dont get me wrong here...I have met Bob...like him and have a HIGH respect for him...havent met any of the other guys, but they all build a great product. I just dont have the overhead that they do. Actually NONE of them actually build the motors...their employees do, but I am a one man show. I do it all myself and I dont have an issue with someone watching or helping.

I do like my oldies music...especially from the 60's. My neighbors at the shop like the music sorta loud too so that they can also hear it. I get calls all the time asking for help and if I know the answer...I will tell. I always try to help someone out...the dollar is NOT the bottom line with me. I had so many calls on how to adjust the valves, I just decided to make a vid so that people could see it being done, but I dont think I will be getting my name or a star onHollywood Blvd anytime soon...ho-hummm...bummer.

Call me if you are out Fort Worth way...817-657-5662...as there is always something to drink in the fridge at the shop.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Will do sir, thanks for the invite & taking so much personal time to share your info with us.

Uncle Dave
Old 06-07-2010, 01:22 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have done business with Boyd Motorworks in NY for several years & found thier products to be second to none!

The guy is the best in the business in my opinion and the opinion of everyone I know that has had work done by him.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GORT
I have done business with Boyd Motorworks in NY for several years & found thier products to be second to none!

The guy is the best in the business in my opinion and the opinion of everyone I know that has had work done by him.
Maybe sonic can share his side of the three sided story.

The three sides always being "Yours, mine, and the truth "

On that note I am happy to share mine regarding anyone I fail to recommend.

Uncle Dave
Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its nice to hear you guys give this eng. guy a great rep. living in FL there a too many fly buy night guys. Anyone lookin to build a motor just do your homework on your builder it dosn't matter if you spend alittle more to send your parts to someone you can TRUST...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
You are correct...I blew a head gasket when Dereberry screwed me over and I have called him out on several times, but he ALWAYS runs to hide. I have always been involved with racing...usually drag racing and I know that a drag race motor will not hunt in a normal boat...so I went to self-learning school and did exactly as I was told and shown. The guys that taught me dont give a damn about boat motors but they are highly known Pro-Stock drag race guys. I am not in competition with them and they are not in competition with me resulting in a great relationship. I dont know how many motors I have done...havent kept count, but most are in the 650 HP range. There are some under that and some over that...I just give the customer what they asked for. But the one thing I will say is that NONE of my motors have had any issues or blown up and a few of the guys that have them only know of 2 speeds...balls out or sitting. All the big named guys...Teague, Paul Paff, Cobra, etc...sell their motors for 2-1/2 to 3 times more than what I charge for mine and I use the same quality of parts and I get the same, if not more, horsepower and torque. Dont get me wrong here...I have met Bob...like him and have a HIGH respect for him...havent met any of the other guys, but they all build a great product. I just dont have the overhead that they do. Actually NONE of them actually build the motors...their employees do, but I am a one man show. I do it all myself and I dont have an issue with someone watching or helping.

I do like my oldies music...especially from the 60's. My neighbors at the shop like the music sorta loud too so that they can also hear it. I get calls all the time asking for help and if I know the answer...I will tell. I always try to help someone out...the dollar is NOT the bottom line with me. I had so many calls on how to adjust the valves, I just decided to make a vid so that people could see it being done, but I dont think I will be getting my name or a star onHollywood Blvd anytime soon...ho-hummm...bummer.

Call me if you are out Fort Worth way...817-657-5662...as there is always something to drink in the fridge at the shop.
its good to see your one of the good guys you need to have customers post there good stories which will help get you out there. BUT what helps the most if you do a motor in the time asked otherwise it won't matter how good someone is. I shipped a motor that was only needing to be put back together 5grand later in new parts and 22months later its still a short block but being finished next week and this was paid over in full, big name guy who is a friend I just can't yell at him but the dead line is on and sad thing is my other motor back up is going to a guy who was my second pick 2 hours away he takes 3 weeks on averge time. good luck get your name out there.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRS71
Its nice to hear you guys give this eng. guy a great rep. living in FL there a too many fly buy night guys. Anyone lookin to build a motor just do your homework on your builder it dosn't matter if you spend alittle more to send your parts to someone you can TRUST...
I thought I did got warned by one or two that he takes a long time, I thought that ment 6 mons not 22. and we were new friends a year before this. I should of went to Tim DORR in maine he does rigging and drives with motors and is fast. has people hold on to there stuff until he is about ready that way no one complains but he will if you don't come on time to pick it up with a check for him. same with pete nopper tranny drive guy no cash up front on small stuff. boy new boat 8 mons no motor I was never excited because Iwas worried about the motor all winter
Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
its good to see your one of the good guys you need to have customers post there good stories which will help get you out there. BUT what helps the most if you do a motor in the time asked otherwise it won't matter how good someone is. I shipped a motor that was only needing to be put back together 5grand later in new parts and 22months later its still a short block but being finished next week and this was paid over in full, big name guy who is a friend I just can't yell at him but the dead line is on and sad thing is my other motor back up is going to a guy who was my second pick 2 hours away he takes 3 weeks on averge time. good luck get your name out there.
Hey Art, would real friend put you out for 2 years. Same as this crap with Chris Sunkin, he kept trying to say he was my friend...Friends don't lie to friends Art, no matter what the issue is...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered

Seems there has to be some way for both sides to work that one out.

It would be great if you guys could.

- because everyone wants to see the new engine in your boat.

UD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.