Notices

Whos a good Lawyer

Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mallatt442;4084629][QUOTE=eddie;4084623]Let's clear the air here, I - Ed Champion brokered the boat dba Lake Ozarks Marine for the seller. It has 1,000hp blower motors. Lake Ozarks Marine never worked on the boat and soley brought the buyer and seller together as a consignment boat. All infomation known by me regarding the power was disclosed and receipts for work performed given to the buyer.

The boat was towed to the ramp, due to the fact it was around 20 degree outside and we had to move three boats around to get the Nortech off the lift and on it's trailer for the survey and at that time a mechanical inspection at buyers request.

A survey was done but no sea trail due to the weather conditions. Buyer declined to do a mechanical inspection later and instead have his mechanic go over the boat once delivered in OH. The buyer never saw the boat in person before it arrived in OH. He sent drivers to pick it up January 11, 2014,

There you have it, thanks for stepping up to the plate to tell your side. These things can get blown way out of proportion in a hurry ( no pun intended)[/QUO

Thank you for stepping up to the plate. Non of the events in your post are in dispute. All of it is true to my knowledge. Non of what you said has anything to do with the fact that it was still sold as a boat with a blown motor. Live and learn I guess. That's why I do business with pier 57. I'm sure this will be a good lesson learned .

Raf
Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What I don't understand is HOW a DEALER could sell a boat or anything else and advertising said product without checking it out on there own. It IS there reputation after all. EVEN IF IT IS A CONSIGNMENT.
The owner didn't advertise the boat the DEALER DID. I would think a JURY would find the DEALER liable for the repairs. If I was on that jury that is what I would find.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
What I don't understand is HOW a DEALER could sell a boat or anything else and advertising said product without checking it out on there own. It IS there reputation after all. EVEN IF IT IS A CONSIGNMENT.
The owner didn't advertise the boat the DEALER DID. I would think a JURY would find the DEALER liable for the repairs. If I was on that jury that is what I would find.

Not only do I agree with your stament you have time and attorney fees. The three parties should talk and work something out like grown men. A little flexibility on all sides goes a long ways. Bad weather or not we are talking about a above 6 figure rig. Phone calls are cheap...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the guy can swing a 6 fig boat, I'm sure he can swing the attorney fee.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Not only do I agree with your stament you have time and attorney fees. The three parties should talk and work something out like grown men. A little flexibility on all sides goes a long ways. Bad weather or not we are talking about a above 6 figure rig. Phone calls are cheap...
Very true statement. I was just shocked to hear that the dealer is going to do absolutely zero to help a customer in a situation like this on a boat that he and the dealer represented. He's not even asking for the whole bill to be paid. Just cover a bit of goodwill Still nothing.
I also found out from an insider down there that the kid that owned this boat may be a partner in lake of the ozarks marine or the owner? And not just another seller being paired with a buyer as he puts it. Maybe ed can shed some light on that truth. Either way it was just another grossly misrepresented piece. But it happens. Buyer beware. It's ashame to have to say that.

Raf
Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

runafever, See you from my old area I lived in Akron till 2006. Sorry to hear this, but too much of this goes on today. Brokers want their 15 to 20% but don't want to take any responsibility for their representations and unless you can prove fraud and are willing to go through the expense of an out of state lawsuit your S.O.L. Even the dealers who used to have great reputations you have to be careful and not trust. Post up a copy of the ad. I bought a brokered boat from Shogren/Pier 57 Feb.28 2012 and was told by the salesman that they had redone the engines and it was in their web ad that they redid the engines. I had issues and eventually tore one engine down and brought my findings to Scott 's attention. His first response was No warranty as is. His next reply was that they did not do the engine work the previous owner did so basically go pound salt. So I wouldn't trust those lying used car salesmen either.
Chris Bennett
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

most cosigns for marine dealers are a 10% commission fee of the final selling price plus any work ie: winterizations / summerizations, repairs, cleaning, detailing, inside storage fees and so on top of that 10 %. Anyways we never ever took a consignment boat in without a full checkout and running it plus in do time lake test when possible. Also we use to try to buy the boat outright if possible as long as both parties were happy with a lessor selling / buying price.

Six figure boats is or not part of are business but the dollar value should not matter as anything that was wrong with the boat and the owner did not want to fix it or spend no money for repairs, we always disclosed any and all negatives plus all problems with the boat up front 100%. If we had to adjust the price accordingly and some on top of that was part of the selling process regardless.. We never excepted anything above medium repairs not willing to get fixed.

We always tried our best to sell any consignment boats out the door that were 100% turn key lake ready after all of our work / repairs were done by us. Its always better business practices for everyone but sometimes owner consignments are done with their boats not wanting to spend a dime for repairs.

Any boat needing medium and above repairs a lot of those times we turned the consignment down and told that boat owner we do not sell projects out of here with our name on it. If they wanted to have it fixed 100 % for the consignment that was fine. That's how we handled consignments.

Last edited by BUP; 03-05-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Registered

If you are buying a 6 figure boat you should probably afford a complete survey (and should be smart enough to get one as well). A broker is just that a party that brings buyers and sellers together end of deal. Sounds like the buyer is trying to backpedal on their mistake and play the blame game.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brokers get a good payday. I think this was bad from the start..... Guy selling was a scammer, broker didn't do there home work.... Buyer didn't do his. But in the end it's going to cost the broker the most $$$ in the long run. A sales man is as good as his word in my eyes. What you put in your listings is your word. When you pay a premium to work with professionals you expect just that. I know ya can't expect the broker to pay for repairs.... But in this case he should be on the phone with both party's attempting to get this handled ..... Winter boat sales could dip real hard if people don't feel they can trust what's listed. In the end the serv. should have found this.

ED has sold a few parts to friends of mine and has dealt with any problems like a true professional. It's really great that he stepped up and addressed this to. From the sounds of his post in don't think he thinks or is trying to help this guy out. I can only speak for myself .... But if I'm winter boat shopping I know what listings I'm not going to trust.

That's if all this is true
Old 03-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

IMO, A broker is not any more responsible for a brokered boat that he sells than a real estate agent is for a house listing that he sells.

It is up to the buyer to arrange inspections, surveys and mechanical checks for the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.