Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Beware and Stolen
What would you do in my situation. >

What would you do in my situation.

Notices

What would you do in my situation.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 221 Likes on 78 Posts
Default What would you do in my situation.

I am not gonna tell or name any names or point any fingers at this time but I want some opinions.

before I get started I do know and understand I bought “ used / new rebuilt engines “

ok here we go.

July 10, 2022

I bought two complete top to bottom big blocks said to be running no issues.

$14,000 +$900 shipping sent and wired quickly and easily no waiting on checks to clear etc etc.

after some time to get them out and boxed and sent to me I was able to pick them up

August 1st 2022 at 130pm

I get them home and unloaded off the trailer still in the crates they were shipped in.

august 22nd I open them up to take to my shop to start the process of putting them in.

starboard engine has a freeze plug completely missing. Another tried to push out but front engine mount stopped it. ( have pictures all texts from day one. )

texted the seller

Hey what’s up with the freeze plug being out?

Seller; didn’t see it etc pop another in let me know if anything wrong.

cool.

move forward

March 6 2023 ( I waited for better weather to work on the boat and instill engines )

I text seller.

Hey they are full of water and pumping water through the valves ( video sent ) and acknowledged. ( both engines full of water less than 20 minutes run time)

send them back I will look into them ( another $900 in shipping )

cool so I do

March 22, 2023 they are boxed up and sent back.

Kinda quite…I texted from time checking in on them

AUGUST 22 2023 I get them back after seller discovered blown intake gaskets on both of them? Swapped changed and ran at shop said to be fixed.

cool.

I install them. And rig them on the week ofaugust 25th with my Father.

Ran them very briefly on the house through the drive the same days.

august 26th ( Saturday) my father and I decide let’s just back her in the water and run them at my local marina. Keep in mind with nearly a 1.5 mile long no wake zone ( that I never made it out of ) . Never once over 1,000 rpms all at 145° and 45lbs of oil pressure at both or better…At 4:20pm that same day starboard side “ blew “ sounds like somebody with a sledge hammer in the top end or lower end I can’t tell ( have video ) port side also sounded like a rattlesnake almost at the EXACT same time. Both IMMEDIATELY I shut down. My father and I (65yrs old ) had to swim her in and put on the trailer.

I’ve been offered a rebuild with the costs of parts etc I declined for obvious reasons at this point.

installed and removed twice. Paid for shipping 3 times now $900 a trip.

where would you be in this situation.

I have every single text from day one till now.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:34 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Do core plugs ever pop out (usually from freezing) without other damage ar same time ?
Old 09-13-2023, 07:40 PM
Registered

Default Idk

Originally Posted by SB
Do core plugs ever pop out (usually from freezing) without other damage ar same time ?

unsure never been in this situation. Port side was the same but engine mounts stopped them…
Old 09-13-2023, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 245 Posts

i would say they were junk from the git go !never buy this stuff without sending someone that is good to ck them out this is now common way to rip folks off....... it is buyer beware
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

Freeze plug can pop out, and still can have cracked head or block, sometimes just inside so you cant see it cracked outside... were the engines bought in some cold weather place or down south?
Old 09-13-2023, 08:07 PM
Registered

Default Way north

Originally Posted by jeff32
Freeze plug can pop out, and still can have cracked head or block, sometimes just inside so you cant see it cracked outside... were the engines bought in some cold weather place or down south?

way north east coast is where they came from I'm in Tennessee.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

If you think the seller has the funds, ask for them back, and eat the shipping costs as an expensive lesson learned.

If they won't give up the funds, and you think they have them, small claims court. I had to sue a dealer, they didn't show up, and via a writ of execution, they paid up! took a few months, but good learning experience.

If they don't have the funds, I'd get an opinion from a local engine shop on if they can be 'saved' or they are junked.

I bought engines from these guys, and 300 hours later, I am very happy.
https://www.michiganmotorz.com/
twin base new 350s.
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but mine came with a warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by SabrToothSqrl:
87CigCafe (09-13-2023), Tractionless (10-03-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

What do you mean by "used / new rebuilt engines??" Used, new and rebuilt all have different meanings.

I know if I bought engines and the freeze plugs were popped, I would not have waited 8 months to install and run them. Freeze plugs, which are really casting plugs don't just fall out for no reason and 99% of the time when they do, its because the engines froze and there is a 90% chance there is more freeze damage. I would have run them on the ground or engine stand ASAP with video. I would have pulled the intakes ASAP to check for cracks. I also would have been asking for a full refund.

At this point, I would tear down the engines and/or have them torn down with video as its being done. See what the damage is and then try and work something out with the seller.
The following 5 users liked this post by Griff:
87CigCafe (09-14-2023), articfriends (09-20-2023), endeavor1 (09-20-2023), jeff32 (09-14-2023), Plowtownmissile (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 09:38 AM
Registered

Default Right

Originally Posted by Griff
What do you mean by "used / new rebuilt engines??" Used, new and rebuilt all have different meanings.

I know if I bought engines and the freeze plugs were popped, I would not have waited 8 months to install and run them. Freeze plugs, which are really casting plugs don't just fall out for no reason and 99% of the time when they do, its because the engines froze and there is a 90% chance there is more freeze damage. I would have run them on the ground or engine stand ASAP with video. I would have pulled the intakes ASAP to check for cracks. I also would have been asking for a full refund.

At this point, I would tear down the engines and/or have them torn down with video as its being done. See what the damage is and then try and work something out with the seller.
I should have worded differently.

but “ recent rebuilds break in time only “ said to be on engines.

that’s the plan tear down wise even though I doubt anything will be done unfortunately.

yes I screwed up with the gaps in timing in between I won’t argue that…
The following users liked this post:
Griff (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Junk from the start…when you found water I would have shipped them back on his dime and got a 100% refund.

they were priced to run…not priced to be paperweights.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1MOSES1:
350scarab (09-15-2023), 87CigCafe (09-14-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.