What would you do in my situation.

Notices

What would you do in my situation.

Old 09-15-2023, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 221 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Probably

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I suspect you will just have to cut your losses and move on. Tear the engines down and see what is salvageable and what is not. They might be loaded with good parts that you can reuse most of or they may be totally junk.

probably right but I won’t let this one go regardless.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 598 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I suspect you will just have to cut your losses and move on. Tear the engines down and see what is salvageable and what is not. They might be loaded with good parts that you can reuse most of or they may be totally junk.
Yep that’s what I would do and than mic the hell out of everything and find a reputable machine shop to machine the blocks .

I messed around with top ends on my hot rod cars back when I was a teen but never bottom ends. My buddy lost a piston in one of his 454 crusaders in his cruiser right before Covid hit.

So I pulled the motor and tore it down in the salon and went to work with what I could find during Covid.

I would feel much more at ease assembling my own motor over dropping it off at a engine shop along with a substantial amount of cash only to have your motor held ransom with empty promises as summer wastes away.

That famous marine big block rebuild book needs to go back in print or be copied and loaded onto a file for access to those who could learn from it.
The following 3 users liked this post by tommymonza:
87CigCafe (09-15-2023), sonicss42 (09-15-2023), the deep (09-15-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
What do you mean by "used / new rebuilt engines??" Used, new and rebuilt all have different meanings.

I know if I bought engines and the freeze plugs were popped, I would not have waited 8 months to install and run them. Freeze plugs, which are really casting plugs don't just fall out for no reason and 99% of the time when they do, its because the engines froze and there is a 90% chance there is more freeze damage. I would have run them on the ground or engine stand ASAP with video. I would have pulled the intakes ASAP to check for cracks. I also would have been asking for a full refund.

At this point, I would tear down the engines and/or have them torn down with video as its being done. See what the damage is and then try and work something out with the seller.
You saved me the time of typing the same reply
The following users liked this post:
Griff (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

Doesnt anyone else think who the seller is adds some context to this?
Old 10-03-2023, 11:12 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Pair of Rebuilt gen 5 HP 500’s - Offshoreonly.com
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 242 Posts

Those pic's in post #13 look like those were sitting in a barn with chickens ****tttting all over them. Any "fresh" motors should have been disassembled, checked, replaced and test run before the deal was done. This thread still pissses me off!
Old 10-04-2023, 08:25 AM
Registered

Default Post 13

[QUOTE=Helmwurst;4881708]Those pic's in post #13 look like those were sitting in a barn with chickens ****tttting all over them. Any "fresh" motors should have been disassembled, checked, replaced and test run before the deal was done. This thread still pissses me off![/QUOTE

post 13 don’t even show a barn or chicken sh*t ? Shows an engine full of water and paper towels amongst them lol
Old 10-05-2023, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 242 Posts

Reference ^^^^ Prior to selling to 87 CigCafe. Lots, of rusty parts, paint chipped everywhere, those freeze plugs look questionable, rust between the block and head.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:48 AM
Registered

Default Right

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Reference ^^^^ Prior to selling to 87 CigCafe. Lots, of rusty parts, paint chipped everywhere, those freeze plugs look questionable, rust between the block and head.
gotcha I misunderstood you at first sorry bud. Yeah they were trash from the get-go it seems and me being the trusting type I screwed up.

if you look at the one photo with the freeze plug is missing you can see the others that had tried to push themselves out also…
Old 10-05-2023, 02:39 PM
Registered

Default Claims

Seems to me anymore best case scenario on a screwing like this is an attorney / small claims dealings which I didn’t and don’t want to do… I would have been way more than happy with a partial settlement to make things right. I can’t take a nearly 18k hit on the chin. So there’s that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.