Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ???? >

Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Notices

Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Old 08-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats only cuz it is safe for Reggie, when you can't see over the windshield and the boat flips, your head is potected by the dash !!
Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Awesome !!!

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
This is an interesting subject.
1) Fountain has now factory installed a seat/shoulder harness system in their 42 poker run boats with sit down bolster seats.

Any comments on why one of the biggest and most knowledgeable performance boat builders has elected to install such a restraint device in this boat?
IMHO: Reggie may need a new hair piece, but the guy does know racing V hulls and building performance V hull boats. If he (and trust me on this one) does not believe in a product, it is NOT going to be on one of his boats. His, yes his because his name is on the side of the boat.

2) Tiger performance sells poker run seat belts that are attached using velcro.
http://www.tigerperformance.com/catalog.asp?pageno=7

Again, IMHO these would help in keeping a person in the seat if they were to encounter a big wake, etc. But, if a subjected to enough force, the velco would release and the person would exit the boat. Same goes for the quick release if the person wants to exit the seat in an emergency. I know, there are some that will say "what if the person is unconious". I cannot answer that but to say, I have been tossed out at 65 mph. It was no fun (thanks for the lanyard for working) and I would rather take my chances while being in the boat.
Yep I Agree with you that I would rather stay in the boat than go flying into who knows what. The record of seat belts in autos for instance, does have some inc idents where the seatbelt itself was the direct or indirect cause of injury or even death...However in the vast majority of cases, the belts saved life and or serious injury ( or would have saved if used). I think these ratios would transfer to boating also. If you hit a solid object and the boat comes to a quick halt, you are going to hurt in or out of the boat! Belts might not make much difference in these cases. However, as most of the boating accidents where the crew gets tossed involved hitting a wake or submerged object or just plain centrifugal forces that delivers much less kinetic energy to your body. If you stay in the boat you have a good chance to recover control of the situation. If you hit the water, you have lost control of everything except if you can manage to loat on top of it.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its no wonder people get hurt boating. Learning respect is usually a hard lesson. I wonder what the people who offer restraints pay for insurance on their products? Do the have some liability release? How many 100s a feet a second are you covering while you collect your self and try to regain control.
God Bless You and those around you.
Jim
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, IMHO these would help in keeping a person in the seat if they were to encounter a big wake, etc. But, if a subjected to enough force, the velco would release and the person would exit the boat. Same goes for the quick release if the person wants to exit the seat in an emergency. It was no fun (thanks for the lanyard for working) and I would rather take my chances while being in the boat.
In theory, this all sounds good, but have you ever gone over on a Hydro-Slide and have the velcro strap refuse to release? It's quite unnerving if you aren't ready for it. I, personally, don't care to be strapped to a boat period (unless I am in a capsule with an air supply). Yes, it hurts when you hit the water at 65mph. But, with the right PFD and your lanyards on, I still say your odds are much better being thrown clear of the boat. Do I have a book full of stats to back up my opinion? No, just enough personal experience from about 10 years of outboard racing to help me formulate a strong opinion on the subject.

Just my .02
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

of course everyone is entitled to an opinion on this subject and there are no laws I know of... so if you wanna take your chances in the boat or in the water - good luck. AND-- I nor any one else is advocating reckless behavior while piloting high speed watercraft - so don't go there! I have great respect for all the dangers involved in this sport as have been active in it for forty years now- I truly beleve that I and everyone else would be better off if they stayed in the boat after a indirect impact or centrifugal event than if they were to be tossed into the water-
Old 08-23-2007, 04:54 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Default I like it!

This is an interesting subject.
1) Fountain has now factory installed a seat/shoulder harness system in their 42 poker run boats with sit down bolster seats.

Any comments on why one of the biggest and most knowledgeable performance boat builders has elected to install such a restraint device in this boat?
IMHO: Reggie may need a new hair piece, but the guy does know racing V hulls and building performance V hull boats. If he (and trust me on this one) does not believe in a product, it is NOT going to be on one of his boats. His, yes his because his name is on the side of the boat.

2) Tiger performance sells poker run seat belts that are attached using velcro.
http://www.tigerperformance.com/catalog.asp?pageno=7

Again, IMHO these would help in keeping a person in the seat if they were to encounter a big wake, etc. But, if a subjected to enough force, the velco would release and the person would exit the boat. Same goes for the quick release if the person wants to exit the seat in an emergency. I know, there are some that will say "what if the person is unconious". I cannot answer that but to say, I have been tossed out at 65 mph. It was no fun (thanks for the lanyard for working) and I would rather take my chances while being in the boat.
YEP! I have ordered the seatbelts from tiger. Gonna put em in every seat. Gonna use my kill switch and hang on tight. Ain't gonna go overboard by hittin a wake ! thanks for info. Do you use em?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jbbeard
YEP! I have ordered the seatbelts from tiger. Gonna put em in every seat. Gonna use my kill switch and hang on tight. Ain't gonna go overboard by hittin a wake ! thanks for info. Do you use em?
I have been debating the same thing now for a few weeks. Take some pictures of your install.

Thanks
Don
Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dgduck13
I have been debating the same thing now for a few weeks. Take some pictures of your install.

Thanks
Don
will do! gonna post some pictures of my boat soon on the awesone site-
Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reggie puts them in because they look "racer cool". This is a guy who targets his product to the "less experienced" boater and sells speed at any cost to these guys. Although I don't have any empirical evidence to back this, I do notice that his boats are the most often mentioned brand in roll-over incidents

and I would rather take my chances while being in the boat.
I would take some breath-holding lessons.

Under 100mph, thrown-free is way better than trapped unconsious and submerged. Over 100 and without the protection of a canopy, it probably doesn't matter where they find your body, either floating or strapped in. Sort of like getting tossed from your crotch rocket at 140. The helmet just keeps the gray matter in one place.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 08-24-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Under 100mph, thrown-free is way better than trapped unconsious and submerged. Over 100 and without the protection of a canopy, it probably doesn't matter where they find your body, either floating or strapped in. Sort of like getting tossed from your crotch rocket at 140. The helmet just keeps the gray matter in one place.
Pretty good analogy.

Quick Reply: Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.