Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ???? >

Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Notices

Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Old 07-30-2007, 06:26 PM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Been seeing all the accident reports where go fast boats lose the operators and passengers suddenly when things go wrong. Seems like the guy in LOTO got ejected with his passengers when they hit a wave at dusk WOT but the boat kept going just fine until impact with boat and dock. Lucky no one in the boat or on the dock... any how, if the driver had his kill switch attached .. end of story? But I was wondering what if he had seatbelts? Would this be more dangerous than ejection ? I guess it the same in a car , sometimes the belt kills you but most of the time it saves you...Any studies about this as pertains to boats as I am thinking about the installing of some belts in my cat boat!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered

No, but lanyards are !!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

in an open boat no thanks! closed canopy boat yep!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Default Reasoning?

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
in an open boat no thanks! closed canopy boat yep!
So far two negatives on the belts in a open boat which is , I believe, the conventonial wisdom on this subject. I am thinking a little out of the box here but wonder why anyone is willing to or wants to get ejected from the boat when there is a chance to stay with the boat and regain control! What is the compelling reason that it is safer for you to be ejected?? Do you know of any logic / reason / argument / fact / studies/ safety laws/ to support this idea? most of the accidents quoted in this forum were not direct, hard impact crashes into a solid object but rather sharp turns or rough water which caused the crew to be ejected.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue is that if the boat were to flip or sink, you'd most likely drown- that is, if you weren't already dead from the impact. It's hard to unfasten a seatbelt when you're unconscious.

If you're in a pleasure boat with big, comfy buckets going really fast in rough water, there's a good chance you could get tossed. Now, if you're in a boat made to be doing that kind of running, chances are you'd be in a nice, deep, snug bolster and you'll probably be alright. Now, if the boat you're running is one of those models that has a bottom design that's prone to spinning and/or rolling, your chances for survival are probably much better if you're tossed free. If you're wearing the proper life jacket (i.e. one that won't be torn off in the impact and will float you upright when unconscious) then your chances are pretty good.

If you're strapped into the seat, you'd better have a canopy to prevent the onrush of wanter from breaking your neck and you'd probably want a safety diver in a helicopter to remove your unconscious body from the capsule.

This one is about a week old- if you were belted in, your chances of making it out would be slim.
Attached Thumbnails Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????-071707_boat_capsized.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris got to it before I did to answer it fully. But stuffing and being restrained where I couldnt move would not work. A lot of these wreck lately havve been some form of driver error as well. Also if a boat hits hard enough to eject a person that type of shock going into the body with "seatbelt" holding them down it no where to go lot of force for an open boat.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

OK, so I get the idea that to belt into the bolsters is not good. Guess I will squeeze my fat ass in as tight as possible and hang on for dear life with laynyards attached to my approved life vest and try not to do anything stupid while rocking along in my canoe!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

jpd motorsports, where are you located never heard of you before.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

not directed at you,JPD MOTORSPORTS in okc.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
jpd motorsports, where are you located never heard of you before.
Yeah, I'm not seeing where you asked jbbeard where he was located or who he is. I think he needs a drink

Quick Reply: Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.