Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ???? >

Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Notices

Are Seatbelts Safe For Boaters ????

Old 09-22-2007, 11:51 AM
JBBEARD
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHO wants to manufacture a poker run type belt for the offshore crowd?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easy to make them. I think the problem is product liability. The first person to drowned with the belts on will start a lawsuit to sue the air out of you and try to take everything you own.
I understand every ones logic but I believe if you going fast enough to toss people out your going too fast. Why do you think Hi performance insurance is so expensive? There are so many dangerous operators out there. Its kind of like other sports where the intermidiate experience group causes the most accidents. Where the are good enough to have confidence but not experienced enough to have good sense. Well just my old school 2 cents.
Jim
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a right answere here. The velcro seat belts will hold you in beter than nothin.You will be able to take a bigger jolt than you would without them but the bottom line is speed kills Used inproperly and carlesly someone is gonna get hurt It's no differant than a car.......run it fast enough....hard enough.......long enough......and be stupid about it someone will pay the price
Old 08-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what would be nice is a restraining system that would release when Submerged ...LIke the Hydrostatic Life Vest ... I wonder what the statistics are for boating injuries .....Striking part of the boat type injuries versus being completely ejected and injuried ? Or even being ejected and the boat races on out of control (see Lanyard) ....
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
I'd like to bring up another angle.

I wear my seatbelt in my car in part because it holds me in my seat during emergency maneuvers and allows me to maintain contol and avoid a crash.

Perhaps there are cases where a boat operator might be able to make corrections and avoid a roll or a stuff if he is belted into his seat and able to retain control of the steering and throttle, whereas if he were not belted he'd be on the floor or in the water and the boat would be rolling, spinning, or stuffing.
Get tighter bolster seats. They will hold you in place better then a lap belt.

Originally Posted by offthefront
what would be nice is a restraining system that would release when Submerged ...LIke the Hydrostatic Life Vest ... I wonder what the statistics are for boating injuries .....Striking part of the boat type injuries versus being completely ejected and injuried ? Or even being ejected and the boat races on out of control (see Lanyard) ....
Whats the point, you'd already be dead from hitting the water and the boat falling on top of you.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Racer
Racer

Having rolled a boat and having to unlatch my belts while under water, I would NEVER strap into an open boat without an on board full time air supply. In the time it took me to unlatch my belts I would have drown. I would rather slow down than die strapped into an open boat

Furthermore, if you have ever seen what is left of most boats that roll, you would not want to be strapped to it without a protective canopy. Having a 10,000 lbs boat land on you at high speed is only gonna have bad things come of it.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Get tighter bolster seats. They will hold you in place better then a lap belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihN6dNUP5Sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsOvV...eature=related
Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Registered

Vid 1 I cant see the seats.
Vid 2 it looks like they are standing?

lap belts may have kept them in the boat in Vid 1, but if i recall correctly, they both SURVIVED. If it went over and they were strapped in, they'd be DEAD. Thank you for proving my point.