wear life jackets

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scarab kv
Nice ride. Kind of like a new age Batmobile

Thanks man.

I like to dream of being Bruce Wayne at times.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As posted in another thread, everyone wears a PFD (lifevest) on my boat. If I have a full crew of guests (with no clue about what they are about to experience), i help them into them before starting the motor. Explanations are easier when the motors not running.

If it is the usual suspects, I start the motor and then click in.

I hook in the lanyard (onto a D ring on the belt of my PFD) everytime I leave the dock. Once the fenders and lines are in and stowed, the clamps are down.

You often don´t know beforehand if there is going to be an 80 mph blast in there somewhere.

Also, a boat cruising at 50 mph can be more likely to have an accident, just because the driver thinks that he is well within his boats capabilities, and is not paying maximum attention to what is going on around the boat!

I use automatic lifevests, which give absolutely no rib and neck protection in an impact (bad) but full floatation and neck support in the water, even if the user is unconscious (really good!). They fulfill all recreational boating requirements and laws, over here!

The reason I use them is because one size fits absolutely everyone (only one belt needs to be adjusted) and they are really comfortable to wear. Often people get off the boat forgetting that they have still got one on!

The advantage is that there is no reason not to wear one (suntan, can´t breath, looking like a nonswimmer.... and so on).
Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
As posted in another thread, everyone wears a PFD (lifevest) on my boat. If I have a full crew of guests (with no clue about what they are about to experience), i help them into them before starting the motor. Explanations are easier when the motors not running.

If it is the usual suspects, I start the motor and then click in.

I hook in the lanyard (onto a D ring on the belt of my PFD) everytime I leave the dock. Once the fenders and lines are in and stowed, the clamps are down.

You often don´t know beforehand if there is going to be an 80 mph blast in there somewhere.

Also, a boat cruising at 50 mph can be more likely to have an accident, just because the driver thinks that he is well within his boats capabilities, and is not paying maximum attention to what is going on around the boat!

I use automatic lifevests, which give absolutely no rib and neck protection in an impact (bad) but full floatation and neck support in the water, even if the user is unconscious (really good!). They fulfill all recreational boating requirements and laws, over here!

The reason I use them is because one size fits absolutely everyone (only one belt needs to be adjusted) and they are really comfortable to wear. Often people get off the boat forgetting that they have still got one on!

The advantage is that there is no reason not to wear one (suntan, can´t breath, looking like a nonswimmer.... and so on).

I took the Tres Martin HP class. He made a couple of interesting observations when giving us the lecture about life jackets. Not to criticize, but I am guessing your boat runs 70-80mph? Do you really think those horse shoe collar, auto inflating preservers are still going to be on at those speeds. I used to water ski quite a bit and I have fallen at 35-40 mph and the impact is severe. Like hitting concrete. What do think the impact is going to be at 70-80? Those types of life jackets are made for slower fishing, cruiser, and blow boats, not for HP boats. I think that is going to give you a false sense of security. They are probably better than nothing. If you are running your boat hard you should at the very least have some good quality, triple buckle ski type vests and really should invest in a jacket that is truly going to protect you and roll you over in the event of an ejection or crash. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
I took the Tres Martin HP class. He made a couple of interesting observations when giving us the lecture about life jackets. Not to criticize, but I am guessing your boat runs 70-80mph? Do you really think those horse shoe collar, auto inflating preservers are still going to be on at those speeds. I used to water ski quite a bit and I have fallen at 35-40 mph and the impact is severe. Like hitting concrete. What do think the impact is going to be at 70-80? Those types of life jackets are made for slower fishing, cruiser, and blow boats, not for HP boats. I think that is going to give you a false sense of security. They are probably better than nothing. If you are running your boat hard you should at the very least have some good quality, triple buckle ski type vests and really should invest in a jacket that is truly going to protect you and roll you over in the event of an ejection or crash. Just my .02 cents.
I agree with gerrit.
I've never been ejected from a boat, but seen first hand the force of blowing the a$$ end of a 30' go fast out of the water in a tight low speed turn. Never seen it com'n. Bodies get thrown around pretty hard. Banged up every one in the cockpit pretty good.
I use to do a lot of slalom skiing. The ultimate speed for slalom is 35-38 mph. When you lay it over to make an aggressive cut behind the boat your speed doubles. Let the cutting edge of the ski get loose and your skip'n across the water like a stone. (Sort of like an ejection) Being that low to the water you're most likely gonna skip until your speed slows down, but you still tuck your arms in close in case you tumble or it'll feel like they were ripped off. No wet suit and water intrusion will feel like some one ripped ya a new a$$hole. An improper vest would be gone in a heart beat leaving your sides unprotected from impact. All in all, a couple good spills in an afternoon will leave ya feeling pretty beat up.
Couldn't imagine what an ejection at 100+ mph would be like. For starters your gonna be 6-8 feet above the water. I would think the angle of impact to water is gonna make you bounce and tumble pretty violently, making my skiing spills seem pretty tame.

Last edited by scarab kv; 10-21-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab kv
I agree with gerrit.
I've never been ejected from a boat, but seen first hand the force of blowing the a$$ end of a 30' go fast out of the water in a tight low speed turn. Never seen it com'n. Bodies get thrown around pretty hard. Banged up every one in the cockpit pretty good.
I use to do a lot of slalom skiing. The ultimate speed for slalom is 35-38 mph. When you lay it over to make an aggressive cut behind the boat your speed doubles. Let the cutting edge of the ski get loose and your skip'n across the water like a stone. (Sort of like an ejection) Being that low to the water you're most likely gonna skip until your speed slows down, but you still tuck your arms in close in case you tumble or it'll feel like they were ripped off. No wet suit and water intrusion will feel like some one ripped ya a new a$$hole. An improper vest would be gone in a heart beat leaving your sides unprotected from impact. All in all, a couple good spills in an afternoon will leave ya feeling pretty beat up.
Couldn't imagine what an ejection at 100+ mph would be like. For starters your gonna be 6-8 feet above the water. I would think the angle of impact to water is gonna make you bounce and tumble pretty violently, making my skiing spills seem pretty tame.

I have had to have a few bathing suits surgically removed after a couple of hard crashes while slalom skiing. I have never been ejected from a boat, but I came close one time and my wife and I got beat up pretty bad. That is why I took Tres's course. Between education, common sense, and high performance life jackets at least you give yourself a chance to survive.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

I have had to have a few bathing suits surgically removed after a couple of hard crashes while slalom skiing. I have never been ejected from a boat, but I came close one time and my wife and I got beat up pretty bad. That is why I took Tres's course. Between education, common sense, and high performance life jackets at least you give yourself a chance to survive.
Wouldn't mind go'n through his course. Never one close enough to get away long enough to do it.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered

I recieve the C.G. reports of all boating accicdents in the U.S. since we have signed our contract in 2005 with them to be able to do PSA's and talk about differant types of boating accidents. You would be amazed of how many deaths accured every year due to the lack of life jackets being worn....the C.G. reports, that over 80% of boating fatalities could be avoided if only a life jacket would have been worn. From kayakers to hunters in boats, to fishermen to everyday boaters at even idle speed falling off a boat...but we are seeing more and more speed related accidents with boaters not wearing life jackets....no matter how good of a swimmer you are....it dose nothing for you if you are knocked out or even having the wind knocked out of you to find yourself being a drowning victim....company's like Mustang and many others that make life jackets, continually are working on making life jackets less bulkey and user friendly....but in the end it is up to the captian of the vessel to make sure all occupants are wearing life jackets....its your boat...and the occupants are your responsibility...and as soon as your in a accident...you will be the first one to have to answer to what happen......

Even if you think it will never happen to you because you are and experience boater and are running 30.. 40..50...70 mph...and a mechancial issue arrives in a second ie: gimble brakes or hitting a object in the water...everyday things that happen....can you keep everyone from being ejected......well in these C.G. reports...its a everyday experience.....Its just weather or not it will be you that day......on the other hand...a lot of these reports are successful rescues due to boaters wearing life jackets....it really dose not sink in sometimes till it hits close to home......I hope the attidude of wearing jackets takes a turn for the better.....we have had more then our share of fatalities this year.....

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-22-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWJpFhGreXM[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered

It hurts every time I watch that video. The Evinrude commercial is a riot though.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Yours and the comments that followed are valid reasoning. You´re quite right that the lifejacket I use do not protect against impact and is not designed for high speed boating. They are a helluva lot better than nothing, but the right option would be to have six Lifeline (or equivilent) vests on my boat, and continue to use them every time.

I´m going to look into it.

Quick Reply: wear life jackets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.