Notices

wear life jackets

Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
I have had to have a few bathing suits surgically removed after a couple of hard crashes while slalom skiing. I have never been ejected from a boat, but I came close one time and my wife and I got beat up pretty bad. That is why I took Tres's course. Between education, common sense, and high performance life jackets at least you give yourself a chance to survive.
Wouldn't mind go'n through his course. Never one close enough to get away long enough to do it.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recieve the C.G. reports of all boating accicdents in the U.S. since we have signed our contract in 2005 with them to be able to do PSA's and talk about differant types of boating accidents. You would be amazed of how many deaths accured every year due to the lack of life jackets being worn....the C.G. reports, that over 80% of boating fatalities could be avoided if only a life jacket would have been worn. From kayakers to hunters in boats, to fishermen to everyday boaters at even idle speed falling off a boat...but we are seeing more and more speed related accidents with boaters not wearing life jackets....no matter how good of a swimmer you are....it dose nothing for you if you are knocked out or even having the wind knocked out of you to find yourself being a drowning victim....company's like Mustang and many others that make life jackets, continually are working on making life jackets less bulkey and user friendly....but in the end it is up to the captian of the vessel to make sure all occupants are wearing life jackets....its your boat...and the occupants are your responsibility...and as soon as your in a accident...you will be the first one to have to answer to what happen......

Even if you think it will never happen to you because you are and experience boater and are running 30.. 40..50...70 mph...and a mechancial issue arrives in a second ie: gimble brakes or hitting a object in the water...everyday things that happen....can you keep everyone from being ejected......well in these C.G. reports...its a everyday experience.....Its just weather or not it will be you that day......on the other hand...a lot of these reports are successful rescues due to boaters wearing life jackets....it really dose not sink in sometimes till it hits close to home......I hope the attidude of wearing jackets takes a turn for the better.....we have had more then our share of fatalities this year.....

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-22-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWJpFhGreXM[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It hurts every time I watch that video. The Evinrude commercial is a riot though.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Tripping and stuffing is NO fun, I KNOW ! LOL

It hurts still today, and it happend to me in 2003.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gerritm
I took the Tres Martin HP class. He made a couple of interesting observations when giving us the lecture about life jackets. Not to criticize, but I am guessing your boat runs 70-80mph? Do you really think those horse shoe collar, auto inflating preservers are still going to be on at those speeds. I used to water ski quite a bit and I have fallen at 35-40 mph and the impact is severe. Like hitting concrete. What do think the impact is going to be at 70-80? Those types of life jackets are made for slower fishing, cruiser, and blow boats, not for HP boats. I think that is going to give you a false sense of security. They are probably better than nothing. If you are running your boat hard you should at the very least have some good quality, triple buckle ski type vests and really should invest in a jacket that is truly going to protect you and roll you over in the event of an ejection or crash. Just my .02 cents.
Yours and the comments that followed are valid reasoning. You´re quite right that the lifejacket I use do not protect against impact and is not designed for high speed boating. They are a helluva lot better than nothing, but the right option would be to have six Lifeline (or equivilent) vests on my boat, and continue to use them every time.

I´m going to look into it.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM
BRAD SCHOENWALD
Platinum Member

We will have LIFELINE Starter Jackets availible for purchase at the Key West Poker Run. You can buy them each night following the drivers meetings starting Monday Night November 3rd or at Key West.

These are the silver grey starter jackets in all stock sizes. If you want a different color, type, custom size or special order call 954 560 9080 or emial [email protected]

Mercury ignition stop lanyards and wrist bands will also be availible.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered

I get reports everyday of these types of acidents....they were the luckey ones....

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/oct...oat-overturns/
Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered

wearing a tether would help too! and bring a backpack survival kit to secure you. its good to be prepared.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 4,374 Likes on 1,250 Posts

I`m so gonna get flamed but here goes

Pleasure boating adults wearing life vests, soccer moms not letting the kids drive bikes without helmets, and chin pads, elbow pads,kids having to be in car seats till their 8, skiers wearing helmets now, etc..... this is all what i call the p u ssyfication of America.
I mean how did any of us ever survive back in the day without seat belt laws and air bags, car seats , helmets, life jackets etc..?

Maybe it`s cause people no longer have any common sense they need all these things to protect them from themselves.

The day I`m wearing a life vest and some kind lifeline is the day I hang it up and move to a retirement home in Florida.

Until then I`ll just sit at home with my torn ACL, MCL, and bone contusion lol
I guess should have had a helmet, knee brake, elbow pads , full hockey gear, while skiing then i`d be ok right now

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 02-15-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply: wear life jackets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.