Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Underwater Boat Lighting >

Underwater Boat Lighting

Notices

Underwater Boat Lighting

Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used superbrightled's for my cockpit lights and engine compartment red LEDS, great website.

But.... they don't have RED>....!!@>!>@ I want red.
Thanks for the help though.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Registered

I just found out last weekend it is illegal in VA to run with my blue underwater LED's. I got this information directly from a VA marine police officer stationed out of my marina.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its illegal pretty much everywhere to add blue or red lights on your car or boat unless you are an LEO but for the most part it is not enforced on the water..

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 08-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Recreational boats, while underway, are required to display navigation lights between sunset and sunrise and during periods of restricted visibility.

No other lights shall be exhibited that could impair the visibility of required running lights or impair the visibility of approaching vessels.

Special Lights for Enforcement Vessels

Enforcement vessels of the VDGIF, the USCG, and other law enforcement agencies may display a rotating or flashing blue light. When such a light is observed you should stop immediately and maneuver in such a way as to permit the boarding officer to come alongside or aboard.

By federal law, blue lights may only be displayed by enforcement vessels of the federal, state or local governments, and have the same effect on the water as the rotating or flashing blue lights on law enforcement cars traveling our highways.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

We do allot of night time boating at LOTO. All of the different lights, other than the red/green/white, are a hazard, in my opinion. The ends of docks are supposed to be marked with a blue light, but when a boat has blue LEDs, it makes you not be able to trust any of them. If a boat has red LED's all around, how do you know which way it is heading? Many times, the brightness of the LED's also dilutes the visibility of the regular navigation lights. The other thing that I have found is that bright LEDs take away your "night vision" (dilated pupils) that help you see other things in the water (when dark out, look at a bright light and then look back into the darkness and you will have diminished vision). If everybody just got "willy nilly" with lights, none of them would make sense, and the waterways would be more dangerous, in my opinion. Is the reason for having them on while running just to be one of the cool guys?

That all said, they can look cool as hell at the dock, and I do not believe that there are any laws keeping one from doing so.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Registered

I only have mine on when at the dock or anchored which is legal according to the VA marine police officer I spoke too. I've never run with mine on but he just wanted to make sure I was aware of the law so as not to get a ticket.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JcookMI
I used superbrightled's for my cockpit lights and engine compartment red LEDS, great website.

But.... they don't have RED>....!!@>!>@ I want red.
Thanks for the help though.
Boom. Red. Got them on my boat, work GREAT!
http://www.shadow-caster.com/shadowc...v-ultra-caster
Attached Thumbnails Underwater Boat Lighting-sb14.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
We do allot of night time boating at LOTO. All of the different lights, other than the red/green/white, are a hazard, in my opinion. The ends of docks are supposed to be marked with a blue light, but when a boat has blue LEDs, it makes you not be able to trust any of them. If a boat has red LED's all around, how do you know which way it is heading? Many times, the brightness of the LED's also dilutes the visibility of the regular navigation lights. The other thing that I have found is that bright LEDs take away your "night vision" (dilated pupils) that help you see other things in the water (when dark out, look at a bright light and then look back into the darkness and you will have diminished vision). If everybody just got "willy nilly" with lights, none of them would make sense, and the waterways would be more dangerous, in my opinion. Is the reason for having them on while running just to be one of the cool guys?

That all said, they can look cool as hell at the dock, and I do not believe that there are any laws keeping one from doing so.
Last Saturday night heading home at 11 pm, large cruiser a ways in front of me had blue underwater lighting. From a distance, at first the lights appeared green. I could see his all around light and then what appeared to be green light, but was actually his underwater lighting. It made it very difficult to tell his direction of travel. It wasn't till I was actually fairly close to him that I was certain we were travelling the same direction. I've heard of people at LOTO getting pulled over for running underwater lighting. WP stated that it distracts from normal navigational lighting on the vessel. Although cool looking, I would have to agree. So best just to use them at the dock.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Lesson learned...Keep lights off when staying out too late.

I have 3 blue stern under water LED's. One day I went out by myself. That turned into late that night. Wife didn't like it. Wanted me back home. I wasn't ready.

She drove around looking for me. Because I had those lights on while docked she seen my boat.

The worst part was telling her I first have to drop off some other chick I let ride along. Not good. I kissed my wife's a** for what seemed 2 weeks. It cost me too.... a new couch and carpet for the house.

Damn lights.

However, it did wake her butt up so when I ask her to come along she better say yes next time.

Last edited by foosdaddy; 08-18-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Registered

just want to say that this is NOT a law or a requirement at loto people just chose to do that back in the 90,s when they thought about doing that as a law and it never went through...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.