Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
Dog life preserver >

Dog life preserver

Dog life preserver

Old 01-29-2020, 12:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I never had an issue with damage to vinyl when our 75# lab was in our boat. Just keep its nails trimmed and filed so they are not sharp.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I never had an issue with damage to vinyl when our 75# lab was in our boat. Just keep its nails trimmed and filed so they are not sharp.
What Griff said. Keep the nails trim and you should be good. We've had our pups on the boat since it was new with no issues to the vinyl. Boating with your dogs is just better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x09C...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If you use nail clippers make sure that they are high quality and sharp. Better yet use a Dremel with a sanding drum. The dogs usually tolerate it better then the squeezing and pressure of cutting type trimmers. You should be able to find some how to videos. Be careful with the speed of the Dremel as you can get the nail hot. If they are quite long do the nails every other day till they are smooth and short. The reason for skipping a day is because you want the quick to recede between trimming or grinding.

Padraig
Old 02-12-2020, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osur866 View Post
I've got a 74lb Golden and I bought her a jacket from ruffgear been the best dog jacket I've seen

www.ruffwear.com

best you can get pretty much right here, pricey but worth it, have a couple of their winter coats been through 2 field dogs with the same coat, have their life jackets also.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Erin Stewart View Post
What type of dog life preserver do you recommend? We have a golden retriever who is 2 years old and she jumps in the water alllllll the time. Thanks!
We got our lab an"Outward Hound" vest.

Had anyone tried the doggie booties, or anything else?
As for booties, we don't use them and prefer some good nail clippers - I always keep his claws trimmed. And we have never had a problem with seats because of it. Though our boy is really big and heavy.