Like Tree23Likes

Protect yourself from Skin Cancer

Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 12:16 PM
  #21
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: spring valley,ny usa
My Boats: varied
Posts: 1,987
Default

I used my COOLA yesterday ,organic and it stays out of your eyes.It's expensive,around $35 per but it's cheaper than medical issues ! I never heard of this product until my daughter gave me a tube..

Last edited by sy goldberg; 05-15-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: wrong info
sy goldberg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:34 PM
  #22
Member #154
Platinum Member
 
Indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SW CT & Long Island Sound
My Boats: Missing my PowerPlay
Posts: 6,728
Default

I work outside all the time, in the summer I wear long SPF shirts and pants and an absurd looking wide brimmed hat. I look like an idiot. I don't care, I spent much of my life on the water with little to no protection, not to mention my work. I'm ok right now in my later 50s but I'm not fooling around...don't really give a hoot how stupid I look, better than the alternative.
Indy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 AM
  #23
Registered
 
On Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston
My Boats: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission
Posts: 3,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprink58 View Post
You are welcome !!
July 25 7:00 AM, appt for MOHS surgery left ear for 2 separate areas, inside the ear and outside above earlobe. My MD says once it starts it doesn't stop just a routine of getting them treated every 6-12 mos.

The other thing I started was the hearing protection. Any ringing in the ears guys? Use ear plugs unless your windshield deflects the air up above your head.
On Time is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 AM
  #24
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
rak rua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Thailand
My Boats: 27 ZR
Posts: 1,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Time View Post
July 25 7:00 AM, appt for MOHS surgery left ear for 2 separate areas, inside the ear and outside above earlobe. My MD says once it starts it doesn't stop just a routine of getting them treated every 6-12 mos.

The other thing I started was the hearing protection. Any ringing in the ears guys? Use ear plugs unless your windshield deflects the air up above your head.
Ringing in the ears? AKA Tinitus. Had it for about 12 years now and there's nothing you can do. It's a bit like that 2-3 hour period after seeing a rock concert and sitting in front of the speaker. You can hear a ringing sound and it never ends.

There is a couple of new pills in testing stages at the moment but as far as I know, nothing definite yet.

Cancer, deafness, what's next? Hope the old fella doesn't give up on me......

RR
rak rua is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:53 AM
  #25
Registered
 
On Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston
My Boats: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission
Posts: 3,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak rua View Post
Ringing in the ears? AKA Tinitus. Had it for about 12 years now and there's nothing you can do. It's a bit like that 2-3 hour period after seeing a rock concert and sitting in front of the speaker. You can hear a ringing sound and it never ends.

There is a couple of new pills in testing stages at the moment but as far as I know, nothing definite yet.

Cancer, deafness, what's next? Hope the old fella doesn't give up on me......

RR
Yes very similar to the rock concert effect. I will never forget an Anthrax concert in New Orleans in the 80's. Small venue, packed with people and girls, and absolutely unbelievably loud. Dance floor was in front of the stage. Ears rang for a full day afterwards and I kept rubbing them felt like I had cotton inside. Now I need to lean back behind the windshield in the Fountain but better yet wear my foam earplugs or I get more ringing.
On Time is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:50 AM
  #26
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
My Boats: 1979 Formula 255 Liberator...My 4th Formula
Posts: 3,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Time View Post
Yes very similar to the rock concert effect. I will never forget an Anthrax concert in New Orleans in the 80's. Small venue, packed with people and girls, and absolutely unbelievably loud. Dance floor was in front of the stage. Ears rang for a full day afterwards and I kept rubbing them felt like I had cotton inside. Now I need to lean back behind the windshield in the Fountain but better yet wear my foam earplugs or I get more ringing.
So...my wife just happened to read your post with me and asked "What...??? Girls aren't people ?!"...LOL

I have considered hearing protection lately at concerts...most of the time they are distorted and over amplified...especially those indoor. My friend Jerry Gwynn...who is a retired AA Fuel NHRA Champion told me after all the years drag racing he always wears hearing protection when he is running offshore.

I asked Tommy Hoffstetter one day at his shop after a Dyno Test why he doesn't wear "Muffs" when he's running an engine up. His reply was "What...???" LOL

Last edited by sprink58; 05-16-2016 at 11:54 AM.
sprink58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:58 PM
  #27
Registered
 
On Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Houston
My Boats: 2005 42 Fountain, 1998 Marlago 35 FS, 2007 Sea Ray 230 Fission
Posts: 3,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprink58 View Post
So...my wife just happened to read your post with me and asked "What...??? Girls aren't people ?!"...LOL
Tell her yes, the best kind! And I guess my head was distinguishing between all the generic people, and then, the GIRLS
On Time is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:44 PM
  #28
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
My Boats: 1979 Formula 255 Liberator...My 4th Formula
Posts: 3,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Time View Post
Tell her yes, the best kind! And I guess my head was distinguishing between all the generic people, and then, the GIRLS
Roger that...
sprink58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM
  #29
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
My Boats: 1979 Formula 255 Liberator...My 4th Formula
Posts: 3,051
Default

Another update...I'm taking a break from anything requiring "Skin Grafts" and everything is healing nicely. I have had 5: surgeries in five weeks, 3 of which required Skin Grafts. Skin Grafts can be INCREDIBLY painful as they heal!!

I had 3: small biopsies yesterday...awaiting results. The pathology on everything that has been done so far shows 100% clear margins...whew !!
sprink58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:52 PM
  #30
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, Fl
My Boats: 1979 Formula 255 Liberator...My 4th Formula
Posts: 3,051
Default

With Memorial Day weekend upon us I again am sacrificing a great boating weekend due to ongoing recovery from my numerous surgeries. I can't risk getting any of these areas wet until completely healed...so my boat will be on the trailer inside my warehouse.

This is the kick off for the summer in most parts of the country (just another 3 day weekend for us in South Florida) and all those pale, pasty bodies will be exposed to the sun for the first time in 6 or more months !!

Just a reminder...in addition to the normal stuff we always do...PFD's, Extinguishers, First Aid Kits, Extra Dock Lines, etc....make sure EVERYBODY on board gets at least a 30 second Sun Screen/Protection lecture.

Your family and guest will appreciate it deep down inside knowing that you care enough about their safety and comfort to make sure they understand.

Feel free to use me and what I'm going thru as an example if you wish as to what can and will happen over time.

Have a great holiday weekend...get out there and have fun, be safe...and try not to get burned up !!! LOL

John
sprink58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.