Like Tree17Likes

another lanyard reason

Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM
SB
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

I have done the same stupid schit with it attached to my waist loops or etc.
Sydwayz likes this.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 PM
Registered

My Boats: Velocity 290 VR- 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckkat View Post
yikes, that could have been way uglier! I need to start to get back in the habit. I miss how my old pair of inflatable vests had a dedicated rung on the bottom for lanyard. Sadly our new set of Mustangs don't have one which kind of sucks as I never seem to have a good place to hook it to.
I am not sure of the construction of the Mustang inflatable but if there is some webbing, a canvas shop can sew a ring on it. I did this on my Mustang jacket type vest. It had a ring on it but was on the wrong side. I simply had a matching brass ring sewing on the opposite side.

Padraig
Old 07-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
I have done the same stupid schit with it attached to my waist loops or etc.
I can understand that. I walked away from the helm once, (just once) with the lanyard attached and killed the motors; but less likely to do such on the AT with the side by side bolsters though. Once was enough. To add though, you could accommodate a longer lanyard though, like coupling 2 coiled lanyards; and both of them being lower would allow you more movement, but also not in your way all over the dash and/or your wrist.

The Mercury red string lanyard is junk though. I always replace the mercury lanyard with one from one of the PWC accessory vendors; in color(s) to match the boat. They are much better quality and design; as the Mercury one ages fast, stretches, gets dirty, and it also doesn't float should you drop it in the water. IF you have a specific end piece on your switch end of your lanyard, you can always move that over to your new lanyard of choice with a stainless keychain hoop.

https://www.amazon.com/UL-1-Ultimate.../dp/B0000ATZBN

The little plastic pieces clip right off with a pair of dykes, and just the bare plastic (purple in this case) lanyard loop end fits right into the standard kill switch and works perfectly.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-27-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

I have to get back in the habit of wearing my lanyard. I ALWAYS did with my 2 Superboats. I need to get a longer lanyard for my CC. The one that came with it is only long enough to go around my wrist. I usually clip the lanyard to the belt loop on my shorts or the drawstring if I am wearing a bathing suit.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (3)

I always use this style Saf-T-Stop Switch - CP Performance because you do not need an extra lanyard to restart the engine if the person that was wearing the lanyard gets tossed out, just flip the switch and go pick his azz up.
Sydwayz likes this.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:11 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I always use this style Saf-T-Stop Switch - CP Performance because you do not need an extra lanyard to restart the engine if the person that was wearing the lanyard gets tossed out, just flip the switch and go pick his azz up.
Thats the one I run along with a velcro wrist band and about 6' length.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
i like that kill switch, and i need a new one.
this thread has about 100 views a day so far,
so how about some feed back about where to mount the kill switch so it doesn't get hung up on the way out of the boat.
anyone test theirs ?
Old 07-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 2017 30 Concept, 300 Verados

Quote:
Originally Posted by outonsafari View Post
so how about some feed back about where to mount the kill switch so it doesn't get hung up on the way out of the boat.
anyone test theirs ?
I have one now and on my last two boats. Yes, I test it once a season. The last one is hard to see but mounted to the right of the wheel. It's nice, as mentioned above, if the driver was tossed, you can just flip the switch and restart. No extra lanyard needed.
Attached Thumbnails
another lanyard reason-2010_0718_104819aa.jpg   another lanyard reason-2011_0510_125427aa.jpg   another lanyard reason-img_0750.jpg  

Last edited by Dave M; 07-28-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:55 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet

Mine is mounted just behind the throttle to my right
Old 07-29-2017, 09:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outonsafari View Post
i like that kill switch, and i need a new one.
this thread has about 100 views a day so far,
anyone test theirs ?
Use a couple of zip tie sticky back mounts to test where you are thinking about mounting it, before you actually start drilling. Zip tie the actual switch to a couple places, and stretch the lanyard to see how far you can get before it pops out.

With a majority of setups having the controls to the right of the wheel, like Dave's pictures above; my recommendation is down below the wheel hub or controls about 6-8 inches, maybe even a foot if you plan to clip it to your life jacket, over your short's waistband; or short's-leg-opening like I do. Most of us never take our hand off the throttles; so that's your most common anchor point/area for the kill switch.
outonsafari likes this.