Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
Hatch Scoops >

Hatch Scoops

Notices

Hatch Scoops

Old 02-11-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch Scoops

Anybody have pictures of hatch scoops on their Checkmate? Looking for different styles in case we install a roots style blower.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hatch Scoops

I was contemplating putting a scoop on this winter. I came close to doing it but didnt. I dont need the extra clearance, I dont have a blower motor. I just wanted some extra air flow for the engine. I couldnt figure out how to add a scoop and still keep the upholstery on the deck looking decent. The other reason is that the only scoop I could find that was the right length was not very high. I am afraid it may not even be in direct air flow. It would be just about 2" above the upholstery. I thought about when someone is sitting on the rear seat. When running, they are barely in the wind flow. If I were to go through the trouble of adding a scoop, I want it to be functional. This year, I plan on checking where the air flow actually is. Maybe next winter I will add a scoop.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I was contemplating putting a scoop on this winter. I came close to doing it but didnt. I dont need the extra clearance, I dont have a blower motor. I just wanted some extra air flow for the engine. I couldnt figure out how to add a scoop and still keep the upholstery on the deck looking decent. The other reason is that the only scoop I could find that was the right length was not very high. I am afraid it may not even be in direct air flow. It would be just about 2" above the upholstery. I thought about when someone is sitting on the rear seat. When running, they are barely in the wind flow. If I were to go through the trouble of adding a scoop, I want it to be functional. This year, I plan on checking where the air flow actually is. Maybe next winter I will add a scoop.
I am not sure being in direct air flow is an issue. I think while running at speed the engine compartment will be pressurized with air coming into the scoop. Fresh, cool, pressurized air into the intake has to make a difference.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Fresh, cool, pressurized air into the intake has to make a difference.

I agree 100%. I want to make sure that the air would be forced in . I just think that the wind may be deflected above the scoop in my boat. As I said, I dont need the extra clearance, just want the air flow. For now, I opted to upgrade my vents on the sides of the hull. The ones from the factory were very restrictive. Problem was, no company made a direct replacement. The holes in my hull were too big. Attached are a few pictures..
Attached Thumbnails Hatch Scoops-opt.-old-vent.jpg   Hatch Scoops-opt-old-vent-2.jpg   Hatch Scoops-holes.jpg  

Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I had to use part of the old vents. I cut them up and mounted a billet vent plate on them.
Attached Thumbnails Hatch Scoops-done.jpg  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i likey those vents....but i like hatch scoops and blowers too.....i say both
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered

I had to use part of the old vents. I cut them up and mounted a billet vent plate on them.
Last coast guard guy I talked to said this type of vent is not approved. He stated that one must be facing forward to force air in and one rearward to draw air out wile under power. Has any LE ever questioned you (or anyone) on this?

P.S. They look good thought!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mike Paula
Last coast guard guy I talked to said this type of vent is not approved. He stated that one must be facing forward to force air in and one rearward to draw air out wile under power. Has any LE ever questioned you (or anyone) on this?

P.S. They look good thought!
I have been pulled over a few times for safety checks and noise. They never questioned the original vents. Those plastic vents were on there from the factory. They didnt have any angles either forward or backward. They had alot less air flow than these new billet ones. I guess I will find out in a few months.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:23 PM

Nice billet vent plates. Where did you get them? I am very interested in doing the same thing to our boat. How did you cut the original vents?
Rob
Old 02-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I got the billet vents from Fred @ TrickMarine. They are Eddie Marine vents. To get the old vents apart, I carefully tore off the plastic cover by hand. I cleaned them up with a hand grinder. Then bolted on the billet vents.

Quick Reply: Hatch Scoops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.