Notices

Checkmate

Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
Well, the bottom line is that Doug has brought much needed change to Checkmate and the overall product is a better boat. Reggie is now building Baja and the new Bajas are better boats with new improvements. So why is everyone pissing and moaning?? Let's enjoy the evolution and improvements that have been made to long lasting boat companies that have alot of history and pride!!
There is a difference.....Doug has retained many employees of the original Checkmate to keep the history intact. That includes two people with the last name of Combs. The new Baja's by Fountain are now just the best looking Fountains in the line-up with zero history on any current Baja boat in the world. If you do not believe me, call Fountain with any question on your Baja and see if they can answer it. Then call Sea Ray and see if they even answer the phone?

XT
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the bottom line is that Doug has brought much needed change to Checkmate and the overall product is a better boat. Reggie is now building Baja and the new Bajas are better boats with new improvements. So why is everyone pissing and moaning?? Let's enjoy the evolution and improvements that have been made to long lasting boat companies that have alot of history and pride!!
Actually, the amount of change that has been brought to Checkmate isn’t all that much….yet…..but he hasn’t owned them for vey long. Doug Smith has brought on a couple new models like the 2400BRX and the 2800OBX, but the rest of the line up is the same as when Bill Combs owned the company. I bought (2) boats last year, a 2100 and a ZT230, both were unchanged from what Bill was building except for new hull graphics. So are the other models…except that many (not all) of the other models have a newly updated windshield, and the larger offshore boats now have McCleod bolsters and some new accessories options. That’s about it, good changes? Yes, but major change, better boat? NO. The way they were built by Bill Combs was excellent and still is….unchanged by Doug Smith. Build methods and materials are still the same. I really like Doug Smith and he is doing good things, but Bill Combs built one hell of a boat, a true pioneer, don’t take that away from him. Just wanted to clarify, Jup.

-Craig
Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
I am new to the forums is this where I post the new pics of my boat. Its a Baja built by Fountain with Checkmate speed.

I like Doc's post maybe he might have stuck it in the wrong thread. But I can see his point. But on the other hand it also upset the Checkmate people that Doug Smith bought them out.

Mr Reggie Cat Killer Fountain bought Baja and that pissed people off.

Mr Baja Doug Smith bought Checkmate and that pissed people off.

So now everybody is pissed off, maybe Cigarette will buy both of them and we all can be happy again.

I think I will go buy a bayliner and smoke all of you clowns

Sonics still ruleNext idea for paint job. The clown boat

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vagrant
Sonics still ruleNext idea for paint job. The clown boat
I found the clowns for your next project

Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the clowns for your next project

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by checkered
Actually, the amount of change that has been brought to Checkmate isn’t all that much….yet…..but he hasn’t owned them for vey long. Doug Smith has brought on a couple new models like the 2400BRX and the 2800OBX, but the rest of the line up is the same as when Bill Combs owned the company. I bought (2) boats last year, a 2100 and a ZT230, both were unchanged from what Bill was building except for new hull graphics. So are the other models…except that many (not all) of the other models have a newly updated windshield, and the larger offshore boats now have McCleod bolsters and some new accessories options. That’s about it, good changes? Yes, but major change, better boat? NO. The way they were built by Bill Combs was excellent and still is….unchanged by Doug Smith. Build methods and materials are still the same. I really like Doug Smith and he is doing good things, but Bill Combs built one hell of a boat, a true pioneer, don’t take that away from him. Just wanted to clarify, Jup.

-Craig
Hey Craig, I'm well aware of Bill, Kip and Mike Combs years of hard work, dedication, and innovation within Checkmates heritage. Yes, the changes that Doug Smith has made are small in the scheme of things, but they were needed changes. Improvements to bring Checkmate's interiors up to date, better hardware, better rigging/wiring, new models, etc. Infact, the new models were long in the design stage before Doug even took over! I've always said that Checkmate's Mold work and construction in second to none! I would like to see them switch over to using less wood in their construction but they've been building boats that way for over 40 years!!..not to mention you still see many old Checkmates running around!!!! I'm on my second Checkmate (Pulsare 2100) and I'm sure I'll own many more in the future!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Registered

Hey Craig, I'm well aware of Bill, Kip and Mike Combs years of hard work, dedication, and innovation within Checkmates heritage. Yes, the changes that Doug Smith has made are small in the scheme of things, but they were needed changes. Improvements to bring Checkmate's interiors up to date, better hardware, better rigging/wiring, new models, etc. Infact, the new models were long in the design stage before Doug even took over! I've always said that Checkmate's Mold work and construction in second to none! I would like to see them switch over to using less wood in their construction but they've been building boats that way for over 40 years!!..not to mention you still see many old Checkmates running around!!!! I'm on my second Checkmate (Pulsare 2100) and I'm sure I'll own many more in the future!

Jup, I know that you know. I just wanted to point that out here. Actually, re: graphics, I believe those were all developed before the take-over as well. But yes, as we both said the hardware/options are a lot better now, lots of stuff that use to be optional for extra $$$ are now standard. Re: wood, I don't have a problem with it, keeps the boat lightweight, as long as everything is sealed should not have problems. There are still other really good hi-perf mfr's that use wood...as much as checkmate does...

-Craig
Old 10-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered

More wood, less wood I don't know but whatever Checkmate does they need to keep it that way. It is rare to see stress cracks in a Checkmate. If it does it was abused, not taken care of or heavly over powered and not reinforced.

I don't see them giving you any extra hardware, have you priced a new boat. The reason why Checkmate sold boats with less bling and goodies was to keep the price down. But their was nothing that was not avalible when you ordered one. And most of the time it was up to the dealer that ordered the boat what it got. Like the standared engine on a 28 foot Convincor is a 350. I have only seen one Convincor that was over 22 foot that had a 350 in it. Yet that was up to the dealer or a special order.

I think people need to read some of the older boat flyers before they comment on what Checkmate did not put on the boat they bought. Because I can make a list of stuff that I wish I had on my Convincor but I have to suck it up because I am not the one that bought it new.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Registered

Here are the basic options that Checkmate offered on their 1996 boats 12 years ago. Plus Checkmate would have at your request put anything else that you wanted in the boat to please you. They would have even painted it pink with blue poka dots if thats what you wanted or sold you a stripped bare hull;

As the 1996 Checkmate brochure states, "the options are for a 253 Convincor:

Deluxe AM/FM Stereo with cassette and four speakers
Remote control for deluxe stereo
two extra speakers
clock
cigarette lighter
halon fire extinguishing system
wired dual battery selector switch with extra battery holder
marine battery
non-skid vinyl flooring in cockpit
hydraulic boster seats
one piece fiberglass windscreen with gel finish
docking lights (pair)
lowrance 3500 depth finder
4" thru transom exhaust with S.S. tips
4" thru transom exhaust with S.S. tips and manual select sound
4" thru transom exhaust with S.S. tips and electric select sound
4" S.S. silencer tips
corsa quick and quiet exhaust
thru transom exhaust (below water line)
bilge fume detector engine compartment lights
compass
color keyed instrument bezels
ski eye
S.S. flame arrestor
dual ram s.s. hydraulic trim tabs
trim tab indicator
offshore motor mounts
crt cordless rotary stern drive trim in steering wheel and morse dual lever controls
hynautic "power planes" with indicators
k-tabs--hydraulic
k-tabs indicator
k-tabs indicator with drive and engine indicator
one piece fiberglass swim platform with fold down ladder
cabin windows
12" opening deck hatch
removable formica table
quick drain oil remover kit
custom cockpit cover
cutrom mooring cover
optional 4th color hull stripe
mach s.s. propellers

Last edited by PURPLE HORNET; 10-22-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More wood, less wood I don't know but whatever Checkmate does they need to keep it that way. It is rare to see stress cracks in a Checkmate. If it does it was abused, not taken care of or heavly over powered and not reinforced.

I don't see them giving you any extra hardware, have you priced a new boat. The reason why Checkmate sold boats with less bling and goodies was to keep the price down. But their was nothing that was not avalible when you ordered one. And most of the time it was up to the dealer that ordered the boat what it got. Like the standared engine on a 28 foot Convincor is a 350. I have only seen one Convincor that was over 22 foot that had a 350 in it. Yet that was up to the dealer or a special order.

I think people need to read some of the older boat flyers before they comment on what Checkmate did not put on the boat they bought. Because I can make a list of stuff that I wish I had on my Convincor but I have to suck it up because I am not the one that bought it new.
On this subject... so far, the only thing on my 1999 Convincor that I would really like (but don't have) is cockpit lighting. Was this an option that year? I think the rest of the boat is equipped really well. But, like you said, it depends on who ordered it.

Quick Reply: Checkmate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.