Convincors and ZT's >

Convincors and ZT's

Notices

Convincors and ZT's

Old 01-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convincors and ZT's

I currently own a '89 251 Convincor and am looking for some info on differences between larger model Convincors (30 and 32's), versus the larger ZT's (28 and 33). Info is needed for future upgrade considerations.

When/Why did the ZT's come out? The only differences I see are in weight and length of the boat. The ZT's look a little more "modern" as far as body lines go. How do they handle, pro's and con's, opinions.

Which do you like and why. Owners please give me your opinions.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:38 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I own a '99 259. I think it is a great hull. A friend has an '89 251, we have run side by side many times. My hull seems to handle the rough a little better. I also like the fact that the 259 has easier access to the motor. I don't like standing on my head to do a simple job on the motor. The 259 makes it alot easier.

I would contact Kip or Mike at the factory. They are the guys that can answer your questions. I am sure they would be glad to help.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Registered

zt models are stepped hulls and have integrated platforms.

i dont have much info on the larger ones, but this i swhat i do know...

i have a 253 convincor and my buddy has a 280zt. when we are rafted up next to each other, we are the same overall length. His zt is about 4 inches taller in the bow area, giving a bit more headroom in the cabin. allthough my cabin is larger (longer). our v-berths are the same exact size, but my bench seats are 8 inches longer (we measured on one boring day).
Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to buy a new 34 Zt when they came out but after having been on a couple I thought the 30 at the time what ever they call it now 32-34-35 was a better value. The step is a joke (no added speed ) the platform is a ripoff just like a fountains beak its not running surface. Thank God I found a used Sonic.....I know I got a platform...but I didnt pay for it!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I am not exactly sure what year the 251 became a 259 but the beam of the boat became wider. The length stayed the same. They also changed the entry way into the Cabin, don't know if you know of about this site
www.checkmate-boats.com, but you might find some more info.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info. I like my '89 251 but it's never too early to plan for the next one.

Hi-Perf, did you and your buddy have the same engine? Were they comparable in speed, planing time, etc.... I'm assuming props were the same.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally posted by In-The-Red

Hi-Perf, did you and your buddy have the same engine? Were they comparable in speed, planing time, etc.... I'm assuming props were the same.
I have 454 575hp B&M setup, and he has an intercooled procharged 502. He never dynoed, but we think he is 600+ with the procharger. He is usually a bit faster than me in muggy weather becuase of the intercooler, but when it's cool out we run about the same speed.

best i've seen was 80.9 on GPS. i run a 27 hydro, and he runs a 28 bravo. Never really compared planning times. i'm never really concerned about that.....i try to take it very easy on my drive
Old 01-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Registered

The 253 became the the 259. The 251 has a much narrowler hull