Winter modifications, who's tested

Notices

Winter modifications, who's tested

Old 05-03-2005, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Winter modifications, who's tested

mboger,
my motor dynoed at 558hp, with great torque numbers.
i spin it up to 5600 to get the max hp out of it. the engine is built for it so im not too worried.
i was able to spin a 25 but not get the speed, it was labbed and slipped over 20%. im still testing.....

what was your best prop?? let me know if you want to sell that 26 bravo, i have a friend interested if its stock and you want to sell!!!

kevin
Old 05-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Registered

mboger, send me an email at [email protected], id like to talk about the boats, ill give you a phone number.

kevin
Old 06-22-2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by RJBBC
Anyone out there who has had an early sea trial after modifying the power? How did it go? Checkmate454mag do you have any water time with the 540? Does it feel like the same boat?
Checkmate 454mag talk to us. What do you think of the new power? Sounds like the re-powering process had a few curve balls thrown in. Give us the good, bad and ugly in upgrading your 454MAG to a 540 monster motor.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Well it has been a battle, but I think I am getting a handle on it. To start with, I had a real bad case of reversion with my Gil manifolds and pipes. They didn't make it past the first run with the 540. So, I got a set of CMI elbow top headers and wet tailpipes. Getting the headers or I should say tailpipes proved to be a very difficult thing to do. The order got all screwed up with CMI. Eventually the tails came and guess what....THEY REVERTED WATER... Not as bad but they still reverted. I did run the boat because the reversion was managable. I just kept the idle up , no water made it to the heads. But to be safe, I ordered a set of fully dry tails. I just got them on this week. All I can say is it is LOUD!!!! If I don't get bothered by the police, I can live with it. But, I did say if. I think I am going to get nailed for noise. I have only 1 test day with the dry pipes. Anyone looking for a very slightly used set of wet CMI tailpipes or a set of Teague ST-450 switchable tips????

As far as performance, I am still trying to get it dialed in. I have played with a few props. The one I am running now seems to be O.K. , but I only ran it 2 times. I have a labbed 25 Hydromotive P-5X. Throttle-Up did the prop for me. Mat dropped the pitch to 24". I have spun it to 5650 r.p.m. @ 78 mph on GPS. Speedo said 85 mph. That equates to only 8.25% slip. Pretty good #'s. However, the 2 times I ran this prop were not under good conditions. The first was the NYC Poker Run, which ended up ( as usual) to rough for me to run fast. The ocean ride to the city and back was a bit of an ass kicking, not prudent to open it up. Then this past Sunday after installing the dry tails, I went out. The ocean was too rough again and the bay was either too calm or full of fisherman drifting through the marked channels. And they look at me when I go blowing by them. They should not be in the channels drifting. Thats another story. So, for now I would say that I have definetly run 78 mph on GPS. I don't see why 80 will be a problem with better conditions. I hope to get a better weekend next time out.

Last edited by Vinny P; 06-22-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered

I might be interested in your used exhaust. How much do you want for it?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Russ,
I just want to make sure we are talking about the same parts. I have a set of Gil Manifolds and risers, a set of very slightly used CMI wet tailpipes for a stock Bravo application and a set of Teague ST-450 Switchable tips. Which are you interested in?

Vinny
Old 06-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Registered

Vinny I'm sorry I thought you had a set of CMI's for sale. Not just the tail pipes. I'm looking for the exhaust also. I have the gils on my 240 Baja and would like to try tube exhaust on the Checkmate.

Russ
Old 06-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
Well it has been a battle, but I think I am getting a handle on it. To start with, I had a real bad case of reversion with my Gil manifolds and pipes. They didn't make it past the first run with the 540. So, I got a set of CMI elbow top headers and wet tailpipes. Getting the headers or I should say tailpipes proved to be a very difficult thing to do. The order got all screwed up with CMI. Eventually the tails came and guess what....THEY REVERTED WATER... Not as bad but they still reverted. I did run the boat because the reversion was managable. I just kept the idle up , no water made it to the heads. But to be safe, I ordered a set of fully dry tails. I just got them on this week. All I can say is it is LOUD!!!! If I don't get bothered by the police, I can live with it. But, I did say if. I think I am going to get nailed for noise. I have only 1 test day with the dry pipes. Anyone looking for a very slightly used set of wet CMI tailpipes or a set of Teague ST-450 switchable tips????

As far as performance, I am still trying to get it dialed in. I have played with a few props. The one I am running now seems to be O.K. , but I only ran it 2 times. I have a labbed 25 Hydromotive P-5X. Throttle-Up did the prop for me. Mat dropped the pitch to 24". I have spun it to 5650 r.p.m. @ 78 mph on GPS. Speedo said 85 mph. That equates to only 8.25% slip. Pretty good #'s. However, the 2 times I ran this prop were not under good conditions. The first was the NYC Poker Run, which ended up ( as usual) to rough for me to run fast. The ocean ride to the city and back was a bit of an ass kicking, not prudent to open it up. Then this past Sunday after installing the dry tails, I went out. The ocean was too rough again and the bay was either too calm or full of fisherman drifting through the marked channels. And they look at me when I go blowing by them. They should not be in the channels drifting. Thats another story. So, for now I would say that I have definetly run 78 mph on GPS. I don't see why 80 will be a problem with better conditions. I hope to get a better weekend next time out.
Keep us posted with additional speed runs. 80mph in a single engine 26 ft non-stepped V-hull is impressive. Sounds like you learned alot in the re-powering process as well.