Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP! >

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Notices

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you should ask about a police officer. I got my 1st ever ticket on the water last weekend. I work for a government contractor.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Registered

That Apache is nice but I do have a hardon for a cig. I like the big power in the Apache and the fact that it is 'similar' to the cigarette but wont those motors be hard to find parts for. I mean they do look cool but I am nervous about cost to repair and also about finding parts. Our season is short up here and I dont want to be down 2-3 weeks with issues waiting for parts.

The Cigarette is in need of work. I dont really have the money to buy one that is much better and I cant find them in much better shape than that one for under 40k.

I am already stretching my finances to buy anything in my price range. I want to be able to run it and afford the gas as well which is why I decided not to buy a 60-70 thousand dollar boat on a finance but to go with somehting I can afford to run and fix because from all the guys I have talked to these are major considerations (this is also obvious from my 4 months lurking on OSO)

I saw this boat and I thought exactly what some people here think. Seems like I could get it for a good price, less than asking price because there are others that are better and alot of guys would sooner have a Bullet that was closer to being complete. If I get this boat for around 30-31 (or less if that is possible) hypothetically I could be around 40k with a new interior and after having someone go through the drives and motors. Am I out to lunch?

This is all obviously pending a good checkup on the boat, survey and listening to all of you guys and doing more research on the particular boat.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Man that Apache is real nice

Those motors are awesome.

Is there a classifieds add anywhere with more pictures?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Here's the problem with budget boating...And don't take that as offensive because 75% of the people on OSO are budget boaters (myself included).

I've always thought this conundrum was funny.....The people that can afford to fix, repair and not worry about what it's going to take to fix an older boat buy new boats that don't require this type of repair/maintenance.

The people who can't afford the repair/maintenance can't afford the price of a newer boat that won't require this.

Bottom line (as a rule of thumb): More money up front = less money down the road....Less money up front = more money down the road.

There's always exceptions to the rule and of course I realize super high end stuff is extremely high maintenance.

The thing you need to do (if you are dead set on a cig) is search hard for a boat that someone has done all the work for you for a price you can afford. At 40k your search may take a while until you find that certain boat that the owner is just done with and wants to dump.

The other thing you can do is save and wait until you can afford a little newer, little better boat that wont require so much once you buy it.

And another thing you can do is take your 40k and look at other brands. You can get a nice 29-33 late 90's Baja Outlaw for around that. There's plenty of other brands in the late 90's in the 29-35 size range in your price range. But again, if you're dead set on a cig it may just take a while. Don't be impatient and buy something that's going to be a problem child just because you want to own a Cig.

I realize where you're coming from, you and I think alike. I look at an old Cig (or any other brand boat/car/house etc.) and see such potential of what it could be and think it wouldn't be that hard to get it to where it needs to be. but if you sit down and run the numbers, you'll think twice.

And always remember....Whatever you plan on spending on engines/interior/trailer/ etc......TRIPPLE IT and be prepared for it to go up from there.

That's my .02
Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Registered

I think you should buy my 24' Superboat so I can buy a Cig!!

It is smaller, but it is definitely in your price range. It also has (will have next week) a fresh .030 over 454 MAG MPI turning about 500hp. That should put her over 80! It's worth a look!

Then we can get our Playboy, and my wife will get off my back!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by WAYNOFZR
Funny you should ask about a police officer. I got my 1st ever ticket on the water last weekend. I work for a government contractor.
Oh Okay - I couldn't tell from the name on your boat and your screen name. Sorry to hear about the ticket - for what???

ar15meister - The "interior" doesn't look too bad - I know that when I bought mine the FIRST thing I said I would do was redo the interior, and the truth of the matter is - we haven't and probably won't do it this winter because the cost/beneifit isn't there. The "cockpit" on the boat you are looking at might be a different story, and could get VERY expensive. Just bear in mind that you will spend twice what you think redoing it and get 20% of that back at resale - Not always a bad thing if you plan on keeping the boat for a while, but definitely something to think about.

Decide if you are buying a bullet because you want to keep it for 10 years and are infatuated with the boat like many are, or if you are buying it because it is the "more affordable" (if there is such a thing in offshore boats) cig. I kind of get the feeling that you are the latter, and in that case you might want to buy something you can use for a few years, and get your money back out of. Whether that is a redone bullett that you buy cheap and don't put ANYTHING in, or a more "used" bullet that you don't put anything in and rather just enjoy for a few years is up to you.

Again - survey, motorwork, have an OSO member that knows the boat look at it initially, etc..... just make sure it is the right boat for your needs/budget/plans. (OH - and check on insurance too. It is not the easiest thing in the world when you are young).
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Here's the problem with budget boating...And don't take that as offensive because 75% of the people on OSO are budget boaters (myself included).

I've always thought this conundrum was funny.....The people that can afford to fix, repair and not worry about what it's going to take to fix an older boat buy new boats that don't require this type of repair/maintenance.

The people who can't afford the repair/maintenance can't afford the price of a newer boat that won't require this.

Bottom line (as a rule of thumb): More money up front = less money down the road....Less money up front = more money down the road.

There's always exceptions to the rule and of course I realize super high end stuff is extremely high maintenance.

The thing you need to do (if you are dead set on a cig) is search hard for a boat that someone has done all the work for you for a price you can afford. At 40k your search may take a while until you find that certain boat that the owner is just done with and wants to dump.

The other thing you can do is save and wait until you can afford a little newer, little better boat that wont require so much once you buy it.

And another thing you can do is take your 40k and look at other brands. You can get a nice 29-33 late 90's Baja Outlaw for around that. There's plenty of other brands in the late 90's in the 29-35 size range in your price range. But again, if you're dead set on a cig it may just take a while. Don't be impatient and buy something that's going to be a problem child just because you want to own a Cig.

I realize where you're coming from, you and I think alike. I look at an old Cig (or any other brand boat/car/house etc.) and see such potential of what it could be and think it wouldn't be that hard to get it to where it needs to be. but if you sit down and run the numbers, you'll think twice.

And always remember....Whatever you plan on spending on engines/interior/trailer/ etc......TRIPPLE IT and be prepared for it to go up from there.

That's my .02
Tank........ Well said !

LS
Old 09-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

I thought the 454 mags in the 89 bullets were the 365 hp ones
Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered

I am looking at the boat as something to keep for some time.

I really appreciate all of this advice guys. It helps me more than you even know.

Now back to business. That Apache that was mentioned in the early going of this thread is offered without power. Could one grab that and stuff some newer motors in it for a reasonable cost? I am nervous about those 650's and all of this talk is scaring me about the Bullet. Maybe I would be biting off mor ethan I can chew. If I buy the Apache I could trade up to a Cafe or a Gun once I am older and have some more $ and understand the boating world a bit better.

With the Apache I wouldnt have cockpit work, cabin needs work apparently which is crappy but not as bad as the cockpit needing work. The bravo drives are good. The only questions is what kind of BS am I getting into buying with no power and trying to find some new 496HO's or somehting similar for a reasonable price to put into it so that I can run it problem free...?

Last edited by ar15meister; 09-14-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: ..
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Steve_H

Finding power for the Apache shouldn't be a problem. Watch the classifieds here on OSO and other boating forums for turnkey motors. 28 Apaches are RARE and hard to come by. You will most likely not lose money on it unless you keep it forever. Plus its just as cool if not cooler then a Bullet.

you will lose your shirt on that particular bullet!

Quick Reply: Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.