Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP! >

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Notices

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Old 09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Steve_H

tell yaa what. keep the Apache for a year or so and when your ready ill trade you my Bullet for the Apache + some cash

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=167266
Attached Thumbnails Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!-bullet.jpg  

Last edited by Steve_H; 09-14-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step 1: Evaluate whether you really want to spend $40,000 on a boat right now or save over the next 2 - 5 years/summers and buy something in better shape. Your young, which means you have plenty of years ahead of you to enjoy the water and power of an offshore. I was broke when I was 23! If i had $40 grand when i was that age, I would wait till I was 28. Then go out and buy myself something that the chicks would like. Man I wish I was that age again : )

Step 2 : Key = Go see the boat, without a visual and a survey you can't gain a grasp of what shape it's in! Make sure the dude selling it has proper paper work and point out that your interested in other market boats for the same price. If he has no paper work, WALK AWAY!

Step 3 : Take your time on the reconstruction, enjoy the boat & the way it was originally made, b/c CIG's are prob the highlight of performance boaters dreams.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

$40K vs. $60K

It's not more per month, it's just more months!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Clay Washington
$40K vs. $60K

It's not more per month, it's just more months!
haha
Old 09-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cauzmik
Step 1: Evaluate whether you really want to spend $40,000 on a boat right now or save over the next 2 - 5 years/summers and buy something in better shape. Your young, which means you have plenty of years ahead of you to enjoy the water and power of an offshore. I was broke when I was 23! If i had $40 grand when i was that age, I would wait till I was 28. Then go out and buy myself something that the chicks would like. Man I wish I was that age again : )
Once you get your mind set - no matter how young you are and how impractical it is - you are gonnna make the plunge - trust me on that one.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Tank is 100% correct on this. I went through the same thing. Living in "S.C.O.P.E. country", I had to have a Cigarette. My boat budget was tight but I picked up a redone 28OS. I loved the boat and it was a wave crusher but I put a ton of $ into it. I would have been much better off spending more money and buying something that was more turn key. I eventually got the Cig dialed in but I missed a lot of boating time and always had that worry of breaking down out in the ocean. The boat I have now is not a Cigarette but it is bone stock and completely reliable. I would not hesitate to head to Catalina or any ocean run solo. And I don't have to put any money into it other than gas and general maintenance (motor oil, drive oil, etc).
Old 09-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve_H
tell yaa what. keep the Apache for a year or so and when your ready ill trade you my Bullet for the Apache + some cash

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=167266
Seeing your bullet was what made me want one

Is the Apache a sit down only boat?

Cauzmik- I know what you mean about waiting. I have thought about that but there is the other thought in my head that by the time I am 28 I may be married, have a kid and have to spend 500,000 on a house in Toronto to keep my kid (and not live near 'undesireable people').

At that point I wont have any money to spend on somehting like this and everyone will be telling me to buy a house, build my life and get a boat when I am 35-40.

I have come to the point where I am thinking screw it I should have some fun, then one day sell this and either upgrade or just use the money to start being a responsible adult and paying a mortgage.

Would an Apache be unreliable with new motors?
What do a set of 496HO's run used for a year or two?
Would they be suitable for a 28 Apache?

Last edited by ar15meister; 09-14-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Al,
That is one nice Coupe. My all time favorite. I helped one of the guys I grew up with (or shall I say we helped his dad) restore a 29 roadster.

We were cruising through high school with that car. Lots of good times and funny stories. His dad had the 32 coupe. I've loved those cars ever since. Nothing like doing all the work yourself.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Registered

28 Apaches are very rare boats and they hold there value! You will probably not lose on this particular boat. You mention you want to hop up the power in the Bullet you buy this boat is already done for you. Bottom line like others said is boat ownership is expensive, you need to plan for the worse. Things you wouldn't think of add up fast, gas being one of the worst of them!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Get the bullet. No comparison between the 28 apache IMO.

I would wait until you could afford a nicer bullet because in the long run it will cost you the same, if not more. You might as well just wait another year and save yourself the headache. I mean come on man.........you've come this far so don't sell yourself short on a fixer upper. Save some more and buy one that needs nothing.

Another FYI - if something comes up and you need the cash its going to be real hard to sell that bullet vs one that is in better shape.

Quick Reply: Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.