Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP! >

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Notices

Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Likely outcome: You will stretch now to get the Cig. You will have to put a lot of sweat and money into it, and you'll get some pleasure from doing that. You will lose at least one season of boating within the first two years because of a major break down that you can't afford to fix ASAP. 1-3 years from now you'll realize you've got over 50,000 invested in your 30,000 boat (NOT counting gas and oil), only had one or two seasons to use it, and wonder why you didn't just get a seconde job and save like hell for another year and buy a much nicer boat that you can actually use.

But, I didn't listen either. Someday you'll be giving a youg man the same advice, and he too won't listen. In the mean time, hope you have lots of fun boating.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hurleyr
Al,
That is one nice Coupe. My all time favorite. I helped one of the guys I grew up with (or shall I say we helped his dad) restore a 29 roadster.

We were cruising through high school with that car. Lots of good times and funny stories. His dad had the 32 coupe. I've loved those cars ever since. Nothing like doing all the work yourself.
Thanks! It could be yours!

I could only dream about having a car like that in high school (although I did have a '65 GTO then).
Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Here's the problem with budget boating...And don't take that as offensive because 75% of the people on OSO are budget boaters (myself included).

I've always thought this conundrum was funny.....The people that can afford to fix, repair and not worry about what it's going to take to fix an older boat buy new boats that don't require this type of repair/maintenance.

The people who can't afford the repair/maintenance can't afford the price of a newer boat that won't require this.

Bottom line (as a rule of thumb): More money up front = less money down the road....Less money up front = more money down the road.

There's always exceptions to the rule and of course I realize super high end stuff is extremely high maintenance.

The thing you need to do (if you are dead set on a cig) is search hard for a boat that someone has done all the work for you for a price you can afford. At 40k your search may take a while until you find that certain boat that the owner is just done with and wants to dump.

The other thing you can do is save and wait until you can afford a little newer, little better boat that wont require so much once you buy it.

And another thing you can do is take your 40k and look at other brands. You can get a nice 29-33 late 90's Baja Outlaw for around that. There's plenty of other brands in the late 90's in the 29-35 size range in your price range. But again, if you're dead set on a cig it may just take a while. Don't be impatient and buy something that's going to be a problem child just because you want to own a Cig.

I realize where you're coming from, you and I think alike. I look at an old Cig (or any other brand boat/car/house etc.) and see such potential of what it could be and think it wouldn't be that hard to get it to where it needs to be. but if you sit down and run the numbers, you'll think twice.

And always remember....Whatever you plan on spending on engines/interior/trailer/ etc......TRIPPLE IT and be prepared for it to go up from there.

That's my .02
Tank you're like the Dr. Phil of OSO. One of the best posts I've seen on here in awhile.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell you what I have two bullets that are turn key and ready to go call me we can talk. I have redone a few of these.

Dustin
918-232-3503
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by damdonzi
Tank you're like the Dr. Phil of OSO. One of the best posts I've seen on here in awhile.
Just call 'em like I see 'em!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by damdonzi

Tank's the man.

Hey Tank see ya in KW
Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Here's the problem with budget boating...And don't take that as offensive because 75% of the people on OSO are budget boaters (myself included).

I've always thought this conundrum was funny.....The people that can afford to fix, repair and not worry about what it's going to take to fix an older boat buy new boats that don't require this type of repair/maintenance.

The people who can't afford the repair/maintenance can't afford the price of a newer boat that won't require this.

Bottom line (as a rule of thumb): More money up front = less money down the road....Less money up front = more money down the road.

There's always exceptions to the rule and of course I realize super high end stuff is extremely high maintenance.

The thing you need to do (if you are dead set on a cig) is search hard for a boat that someone has done all the work for you for a price you can afford. At 40k your search may take a while until you find that certain boat that the owner is just done with and wants to dump.

The other thing you can do is save and wait until you can afford a little newer, little better boat that wont require so much once you buy it.

And another thing you can do is take your 40k and look at other brands. You can get a nice 29-33 late 90's Baja Outlaw for around that. There's plenty of other brands in the late 90's in the 29-35 size range in your price range. But again, if you're dead set on a cig it may just take a while. Don't be impatient and buy something that's going to be a problem child just because you want to own a Cig.

I realize where you're coming from, you and I think alike. I look at an old Cig (or any other brand boat/car/house etc.) and see such potential of what it could be and think it wouldn't be that hard to get it to where it needs to be. but if you sit down and run the numbers, you'll think twice.

And always remember....Whatever you plan on spending on engines/interior/trailer/ etc......TRIPPLE IT and be prepared for it to go up from there.

That's my .02
Very good responce Well said and I agree with it all. Only thing left out was SERVEY---SERVEY____SERVEY
Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
Tank's the man.

Hey Tank see ya in KW
Hey Kurt, you running a boat down from Miami or just flying into KW?? Your buddies T/G came out sweet!

I'll tell Kelly to get the Big Gulp Grey goose/Redbulls ready for ya!

Cosmic12,

yes....SERVEY, SERVEY, SERVEY!!
Old 09-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

Good Luck on your project.
I've purchased 3 boats from Raymonds, they are great to work with, and will go above and beyond for you the customer, they treat you like family, and want you to come back. I'd buy again from them, for what it's worth.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered

Okay I have been reading this advice as well as talking with my dad (who is also my boss) and I am thinking that I need to take a little more time. I am not as comfortable with the boat at raymonds because of the amount of work it will need and the fact that cost could get out of hand. we have been talking about that Apache as well...

If I was to buy that 28 Apache, how hard is it to find and drop a set of motors into it? If I cant do it myself at my shop how expensive is it to have it done for me?

Guy is asking 20k for the 28 Apache with no motors but everything else. Cabin is **** apparently and would need to be redone which I dont think is a big deal. I have a good upholstery guy who does our cars we restore (this year we are doing a 1969 1/2 Roadrunner M-Code car)

By the way thanks again for all of this help. My dad doesnt know boats at all and we are both kind of in need of some guidance from people who actually know, not just pretend to know.....

Quick Reply: Hopefully Buying a Cig--Need HELP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.