Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Is there any market for the older boats?? >

Is there any market for the older boats??

Notices

Is there any market for the older boats??

Old 04-29-2008, 06:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I'm doing it right now. Plowing major coin into a nice old flatdeck 35. So are a number of others. Offshoredrillin is dumping sick money into a 20. A Cigarette will always be a Cigarette. I know that I won't see this $$ back but I'd rather put it here than own some one-of-thousands Fountain or something like that.

As far as fuel- who cares? So it costs another couple hundred to run around on a weekend. You should see my wife & daughter at the mall. Now that's painful.
thank you and you're correct, I would rather dump it in it and make it my way than try to buy it. Regardless of the year, cutom is cool.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was list on a Cig 20 the last time they offered it. Six figures?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a passion for the true gear heads. It may seem like a ton of cash but what doesn't cost money? You have to factor in the enjoyment factor. I take a hit every time I buy a new car. I sure don't get the same enjoyement out of a freakin car.

Like I tell my old time buddies. If you can afford it just do it. I don't want to be the old man that just talks about the things he wanted to do when he was younger. My father in law always dreamed of cruising the islands when he retired. By the time he finally did he bought an ocean boat but it was too hard on him to enjoy. He spent most of his time crusing the harbor. Later he sold the boat due to not having the ability to do the maintanence. Burst a long time dream. I've heard many stories like this.

One thing I will say about Cigarrette or any other top name brand is they hold their value better than any other boat and will always be marketable. Not to say you won't take a hit. Just not as bad as other brands. How many 20 year old Bayliner restoration projects do you see? Case closed. Lets hit the pins.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

i think they were very close to 6, on the new ones,Tommy's (omerta) was listed for 54. i think by the time mine is done, IF I was going to sell it I could make some money, But that is only because of Dave and myself doing everything. him physically and me scouring for good deals.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say with the current state of the economy, there is no market for the older boats that have been restored and/or upgraded...but that is temporary because, as with everything else, it is cyclical.

I dumped over 70k in BRAND NEW, warranteed, complete 496HO engine packages in my boat a year and a half ago. I put it on the market last year for 85k and got one call on the boat with an offer of 50k. Overpriced? Maybe, but no calls and no reasonable offers, so in my mind, no market.

I say this because it's guys like me (with a 35 Cafe Racer that I own without a note by the way) who don't have unlimited funds which is part of the reason why we don't own new boats... And with the current state of the economy and the price of fuel, I wouldn't even think about buying a 35' performance boat today. As it stands, i will probably put 1, maybe 2 tanks of fuel in it this summer and use my more economical fishing boat most of the time.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
. i think by the time mine is done, IF I was going to sell it I could make some money, But that is only because of Dave and myself doing everything. him physically and me scouring for good deals.
That's the key.

If you have the knowledge and skills (and a few connections), you're going to be OK. If you drop it off at Lipship and they load you up on all new Merc stuff, it's gonna' hurt.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having sold a couple of restored boats here's my take:

It only helps you sell the boat because it's clean, it won't get you any more $$. I put somewhere around $40K into Red Cloud and I got what I asked for it but I ask right at the top of the market for that age of boat. IE listings were between $95K and $120K and I got at the $120K mark.

Getting ready to do it again and I know I won't recoupe a dime but, I'll have what I want and it's still a lot less than a new one. When I sell (and I will someday) I'll get the top of the market for that age boat again, but I won't get $20K more than the market just because I redid the boat. At least that's how I look at it and all my boats end up going away.

John, your boats top notch, someone will buy it some day just going to have to be the right buyer. Today though, the market is small. Buyers that typically buy in the $50K range I don't think are buying right now because of a combination of economic issues. That'll turn sometime.

Besides 2 years after you sell it you'll be kicking yourself.

Last edited by Von Bongo; 04-30-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That's the key.

If you have the knowledge and skills (and a few connections), you're going to be OK. If you drop it off at Lipship and they load you up on all new Merc stuff, it's gonna' hurt.
yep, but with droppin the coin at phils, you wind up with a quality piece. After Dave redid my Tiger from the assclown paint screwup. he and I became friends, I really think i will have as much in it as if I went to phil, just because of the price of parts. I bought mine on a whim, saw it sitting in a field, then Dave and I planned it out from there. I agree with von bongo, realistic number and it's ok to be at the top end of those numbers. there is an ass for every seat as they say in the car business.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy must have hit a nerve with this one. Didn't realize it would stir up so much interest. Sure is a lot of points that have been made, and a thanks to all that have commented. I share the same sentiments as most. Nothing like dropping her into the water and hitting the switch and hearing those big blocks fire and run. My wife loves it as well and still says it makes her nips hard!! Lets just hope that something happens to turn things around or our household budgets will be strained even farther. Thanks again for all the comments.
John
Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The last new Lip-Ship 20 was $175...but there are no more.

That's why I jumped on the 1995 Special Edition 20....it is one of the very few pad hulls, doesn't need any major work and is in showroom condition. Down the road may upgrade the drive and power...we'll see. (I'm in the market for a Blackhawk if anyone comes across one.) Will I be able to sell it for more than I'll have in it? Today no, down the road who knows.

Last edited by omerta one; 04-30-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there any market for the older boats??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.