What you never want to see >

What you never want to see

Notices

What you never want to see

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
One more reason why you shouldn't try to save a buck on rod bolts.

Look ath the color of the rod, spun bearing looks more like the problem
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
That's what happens when you pump the oil out of an engine due to a cracked oil cooler. It had absolutely nothing to due with rod bolts.

....sorry, didnt read the rest of the thread.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it would seem that Dean is right (as usual )
I'm having the oil cooler pressure tested so that will tell us for sure. But, not too long before the motor let go, I noticed a gasoline type film on the water where we anchored....so did someone else who was aboard. I didn't think anything of it, but apparently the oil was being pumped out the exhaust through the water system...UGH. Hey, welcome to high performance boating RIGHT?!?!?!?!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

You need any help or advice , as you already know, please feel free to call anytime.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
LZH
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
You need any help or advice , as you already know, please feel free to call anytime.
Much appreciated, Dean.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean is KING!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 PM
LZH
Registered

Well I guess my string of bad luck didn't stop with one blown motor....
The second motor let go a few weeks ago. Luckily, it was not nearly as bad as the first one which totally grenaded. I caught this one pretty quick and was able to get'er shut down before any major damage could occur. Seems the #8 rod bearing (standard, not a 10 or 20) let loose. I noticed the revs on that motor drop right away, oil pressure fell off from 60 psi to 40psi and the oil temp skyrocketed.
We just got the motor torn down yesterday and noticed something very strange....Seems the first motor that blew (strbrd) had aftermarket wiseco flat top pistons. However, when we tore this motor (port) down we found some no name dome topped pistons. It was clear that the motors had both been recently rebuilt because they were bored 30 over...It's just strange that one motor had the standard flat top pistons and the other had dome tops.
The other thing that caught our attention was that the crappy stock graphite head gaskets were used on both motors. On this most recent motor (port) we noticed that the head gasket was getting ready to let go (between cylinders where it's the thinest) and showed major signs of wear and was already starting to burn....Just as a point of reference, both motors let go within 5 hrs of eachother.
Anyway.....both motors now have been upgraded to the stronger Scat H beam rods, upgraded rod bolts, new JE flat top pistons, better FelPro head gaskets and new upgraded springs. Both motors are now built to the EXACT same specs and the boat will be back in the water and ready for the Spring and Summer !!

Last edited by LZH; 02-20-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LZH
Well I guess my string of bad luck didn't stop with one blown motor....
The second motor let go a few weeks ago. Luckily, it was not nearly as bad as the first one which totally grenaded. I caught this one pretty quick and was able to get'er shut down before any major damage could occur. Seems the #8 rod bearing (standard, not a 10 or 20) let loose. I noticed the revs on that motor drop right away, oil pressure fell off from 60 psi to 40psi and the oil temp skyrocketed.
We just got the motor torn down yesterday and noticed something very strange....Seems the first motor that blew (strbrd) had aftermarket wiseco flat top pistons. However, when we tore this motor (port) down we found some no name dome topped pistons. It was clear that the motors had both been recently rebuilt because they were bored 30 over...It's just strange that one motor had the standard flat top pistons and the other had dome tops.
The other thing that caught our attention was that the crappy stock graphite head gaskets were used on both motors. On this most recent motor (port) we noticed that the head gasket was getting ready to let go (between cylinders where it's the thinest) and showed major signs of wear and was already starting to burn....Just as a point of reference, both motors let go within 5 hrs of eachother.
Anyway.....both motors now have been upgraded to the stronger Scat H beam rods, upgraded rod bolts, new JE flat top pistons, better FelPro head gaskets and new upgraded springs. Both motors are now built to the EXACT same specs and the boat will be back in the water and ready for the Spring and Summer !!

Bad news....but at least they are both getting the same setup now and a fresh lease on life.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Luke, sorry to hear about the motor. Glad it'll be ready for spring. Hope to see you out on the water this summer.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
LZH
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Luke, sorry to hear about the motor. Glad it'll be ready for spring. Hope to see you out on the water this summer.

Thanks , Tank !! No worries man, at least I got this one shut down before it BOOM !!! Matt will have it buttoned up in no time. BTW, his work is awesome and his rigging is equally as good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.