Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Has Cigarette made a 25-30' boatye with a single big block? >

Has Cigarette made a 25-30' boatye with a single big block?

Notices

Has Cigarette made a 25-30' boatye with a single big block?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
BLee... do tell.
I've only actually "seen" one, but I've heard of a couple of others out there. Unfortunately, I have no idea if they were built originally with the single. I'd kind of doubt it since they were built so long ago, that the engines & drives available at the time wouldn't be powerful enough to make it run very well, but they also tried some weird stuff back then. They only ran like 60 or so mph on average with twins in those days anyway.

However, the one I saw had a Hawk engine (or possibly just a Hawk flame arrestor), and speedmaster drive (not a #6). The owner wasn't around to ask about it, so I couldn't find out how it ran. It wasn't a very nice boat to be honest, and had no engine hatch.

When I redid my 28 around 94/95, I asked about doing a big single with a #6. The overall "opinion" was that the drive & transmission weight being so far back, could throw the balance off so bad, that it may not ever run correctly. The backseat/bulkhead would have also had to be moved forward on mine for all of it to fit, since you'd need a high hp engine to spin the drive effectively. We also assumed having that big of a prop sitting lower in the water than two bravo's, could cause some handling issues, without having counter rotation to smooth it out.

The 28 Pantera's, as you obviously know are very similar to the Cigarette 28, but also have much newer, lighter weight construction that can be fitted better for that application these days.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered owning a 20 footer? They ride great, are loads of fun and hold there value due to the small volume produced. My friend and neighbor has a fine example of one for sale. You can see it in the classified section here (see 'Old School' 20' Cigarette). You won't be disapointed with this one. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A 20 footer will be too small. I need the cabin space for stabb'n LOL. Needs to have a bed and fabric up there too.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I do remember some board member had a 28OS that was converted to a single, but thats not what Bigsbetter is looking for. And if your looking for a stabbin cabin, then a 27sqaudron wouldn't work well for that either.
Now, why won't u consider twins.
Dreamer has a real nice 28 that would suit you well, and in your price range.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

The price would have to be exceptionally appealing if I were to get twins. The reason for not wanting twins is the cost issue of fuel and maintenence and twice the price for doing hop-ups. Twice the chances of something going wrong, that sort of thing. It would also be nice if the boat would fit in my 32 foot garage, which limits me to about a 27-28 footer if I want it to fit, but thats not in stone...I can build another garage. So whats the cabin like on the Squadron? My checkmate is nice. It has the 2 couches/seats facing each other and then a bed area that a 6'2 person can stretch out in. Plenty of room for my wife and I and the Kids too. That's atleast what I need.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

from what i know, you have to crawl under the dash to get into the cabin, if there is one. It is a very low freeboard boat.
For $30k you could probably buy dreamers 28 w/ twin sbc's and b1s.
It may hit 70mph, i'm not sure.
It's very clean and was fully re-rigged about 6-7yrs ago.
It's within your price range, updated, and does not have exotic power that will cause you big headaches or drain your wallet.
Otherwise, from what I know, what you are looking for does not exist.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
I have a 28 Cigarette hull on a tandem trailer that I'll sell reasonably if you want to build a single yourself. I also happen to have a Merc 454 / 420 takeout.

Barry
pics what yr how much I am looking at 27 and 28s, pm me or call 617 833 3327, art
Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigsbetter
The price would have to be exceptionally appealing if I were to get twins. The reason for not wanting twins is the cost issue of fuel and maintenence and twice the price for doing hop-ups. Twice the chances of something going wrong, that sort of thing. It would also be nice if the boat would fit in my 32 foot garage, which limits me to about a 27-28 footer if I want it to fit, but thats not in stone...I can build another garage. So whats the cabin like on the Squadron? My checkmate is nice. It has the 2 couches/seats facing each other and then a bed area that a 6'2 person can stretch out in. Plenty of room for my wife and I and the Kids too. That's atleast what I need.
the squadron 27 does not have a cabin its a 1 1/2 ft to 2 ft space between the foot rests sit down only boat.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigsbetter
I'm not sure that a Cigarette is going to be the right boat for your needs at this particular point. They are strictly a high performance setup, and are twin engine boats other than some of their classic, smaller boats, which were still built with performance in mind.

I'd check out maybe a single engine Sunsation? They have an upper 20's boat, and I believe a 32(?) that run a single. Most are equipped with a stepped bottom, so you will have far better performance AND a nice cabin, while staying with a single engine. Maybe look at a Pantera, as well as a 271 Formula out there. I think these might be more of what will suit your needs.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replys. I was afraid I wasn't going to find the Cig I wanted because it was not made. What got me started was seeing them at the Shootout a couple years ago...just sitt'n at the dock. But they were big twins 30-40 footers. Basically I love my Checkmate, but I know I could love a Cigarette MORE! Ohh Well...I keep my eyes open and enjoy my Checkmate for a few more years. Thanks all!