trs vs bravo >

trs vs bravo

Notices

trs vs bravo

Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trs vs bravo

in a 38 topgun does a trs make for a better ride in rough water because the engines are more forward in the boats than a bravo have 625hp per motor is one way better than the other these are my two options?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by humpster
in a 38 topgun does a trs make for a better ride in rough water because the engines are more forward in the boats than a bravo have 625hp per motor is one way better than the other these are my two options?
You might chew up Bravo's if you rip on it much.

I have bravos behind about 575-600HP in my Cafe, but I treat them like they are made of glass.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

trs's also shift nice & smooth, no clunk when going in gear like in a bravo. i think the trs was designed for more power than a bravo so may hold up better. i would love to slap on some konrad's on mine but not in the cards yet.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

TRS Good for 550 - 600 HP. Konrad is an option. Can pick up spare TRS Drives sometimes on the cheap. Only draw back is the replacement gears used today are made over seas and not nearly as strong as the original OEM merc part. Better Shifiting then Bravo Style Drive, Also makes the ride better on the Top Gun with the weight of the drive plus tranny.

Straight Bottom Guns with 500 HP + tend to be Bravo eaters. Depends on the driver.

I ran TRS on 675HP Mistress (Similar Bottom) for 90 Hours without a problem. At 90 hours I think I had some case flex and the pinion gear went. I then converted to Konrads, and that was a great option. I then sold the boat.

I now have 3a's on the Top Gun
Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I have a better idea...1995 top gun with warmed 525SC's on 3A's. Come and get it!

But to answer your question, the CG on top guns were designed for a transmission and the motors to be further forward. When Cig started pitting bravo's in they did not change the CG meaning the bravo boats have a tendancy to porpoise. An the weight of a gun = bravo eater of you're not careful.

TRS was a great drive but people are scared off becausethey haven't been made in 10 years and there's a fear of replacement parts being scarce, though I haven't seen that to be fact.

Good luck on a purchase.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a lot of personal experience with Guns, but I really like my TRS. Has been bulletproof for me with 550-600 HP. Not to mention how smooth they shift.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your comments guys that is what i thought going to go get me one on the weekend
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

If you don't want outdrive problems go with the TRS.
I have had many many TRS boats including a 38 Top Gun & a few Cafes & Mistresses & have NEVER EVER had a drive problem.
I had 1 Bravo 38 Cig T/S boat & had nothing but drive problems for 3 years. Granted I am hard on a boat, but everyone who owned my F-2 Cig had the same story.

In my opinion Bravos belong on houseboats, not on heavy high performance boats.
Oh & my F-2 Cigarette only weighed about 8,500 lbs.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
If you don't want outdrive problems go with the TRS.
I have had many many TRS boats including a 38 Top Gun & a few Cafes & Mistresses & have NEVER EVER had a drive problem.
I had 1 Bravo 38 Cig T/S boat & had nothing but drive problems for 3 years. Granted I am hard on a boat, but everyone who owned my F-2 Cig had the same story.

In my opinion Bravos belong on houseboats, not on heavy high performance boats.
Oh & my F-2 Cigarette only weighed about 8,500 lbs.
I totaly agree with LS. The only thing I dislike about TRS's on a Straighbottom is the minimal amount of room in the engine compartment vs. the bravo counterparts...
Jr.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont understand, if TRS drives are so good, why does everybody want Bravo boats? As far as a nice riding boat goes, I agree with the weight transfer/porpus theory. Makes perfect sense. But I would rather deal with the " bang" into gear and be on the faster Cigarette boat! Jus my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.