Notices

36 Gladiators, how do they run??

Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
Brandon,
Rob (offshoredrillin) can sell you or anyone that may want it a 3m clear rubrail. It is the same stuff they put on the front of cars to save them from stone chipping. The gauge is thicker, and I think its not such a bad idea. It definetely would help for some of the lighter taps against the docks.
Yeah, I actually talked to Rob about that a couple of years back as well. That would be some killer protection for the deck, as well as the sides as you mentioned. Hell, I'd cover the whole damn boat with it, if there was a way to make it seamless, without driving the installer completely mad in the process.

That stuff is harder to clean the bugs off of as well, as opposed to the painted surface. That's been my experience on the cars I've had it on at least?

I wonder if it would cut down any on the heat over the darker colors, having that soft "plastic-like" buffer between the paint & your bare feet? Rob?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Wouldn't change the heat factor much, all the films are UV compatible, now as for the bugs being harder to wipe off, it sounds like the film the installer used isn't top/clearcoated. this is on the F cars correct? Lots of installers will go and use a non clear/top coated film because it is easier to install, even as my Design company grows bigger, lots of guys still hand cut because they dont want to spend the money for a quality design, PCNA is using our designs now as well. non coated film will offer a similar resistance to rock chips, however the film will feel tacky and the bugs will stick more as when they implode and dry, they resulting acid leaches into the film, try using white vinegar and water on them as they vinegar will break down the acids. the widest we have now in coated films, is 48" the new avery nano film is awesome (especially on black) and will soon be out in 60" rolls...but as with all things that good it comes at a premium price too, just did a ford GT and a brand new TT cab, wow, totally invisible.

I still have some of the 20 mil film in 3 inch rolls.. I'll send you some out if n/c if you want to try some, sent some to another guy for a bow protector for beaching and he loves it.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
however the film will feel tacky and the bugs will stick more as when they implode and dry, they resulting acid leaches into the film, try using white vinegar and water on them as they vinegar will break down the acids.
That's exactly what it does. I've had to replace the sheets that go down the rocker panels, then back up & around the brake cooling duct in front of the rear wheels. I was just commenting the other day, about how it's already time to replace the chit again, AND how it looks like chit because the rocks & bugs have beaten the chit out of it. The hood takes about 15 extra minutes to clean, and that's for a little better than a half ass job, because the bugs are almost impossible to clean off of the film.

I had the dealership do it both times, so after your explanation, it's obvious they are using ghetto film.... I have another guy that does everything else to the cars I'd rather use anyway, so thanks for giving me a reason to switch!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
That's exactly what it does. I've had to replace the sheets that go down the rocker panels, then back up & around the brake cooling duct in front of the rear wheels. I was just commenting the other day, about how it's already time to replace the chit again, AND how it looks like chit because the rocks & bugs have beaten the chit out of it. The hood takes about 15 extra minutes to clean, and that's for a little better than a half ass job, because the bugs are almost impossible to clean off of the film.

I had the dealership do it both times, so after your explanation, it's obvious they are using ghetto film.... I have another guy that does everything else to the cars I'd rather use anyway, so thanks for giving me a reason to switch!
let me know who you use, if he is using my designs awesome, if not I would like to get him to try them, I think he will be impressed with them, also on the F cars the new Avery Nano film on black is incredible...the link below is a black ML I did...everything from the windshield forward is done as well as rockers, and behind rear wheels...

http://picasaweb.google.com/11786804...49713435278002