Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Any factory 28ss w/ big blocks?  How would it handle? >

Any factory 28ss w/ big blocks? How would it handle?

Notices

Any factory 28ss w/ big blocks? How would it handle?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bookshelf
Thanks for the input, can you elaborate on the trs to bravo though, I had thought by doing that you'd be taking weight out by losing the transmissions, but changing the center of gravity by moving the motors back too. Are you changing the x dimension at the same time?

You have to re-cut the X dimension no matter what if you do the change, since the Bravo housing is smaller than a TRS. The transom has to be filled to do this, so you can cut the X however you want.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I've never been on a 28 cig, but I have been on a 28 pantera with twin big blocks. The pantera had a serious porpoise at WOT in calm water. I've heard that the porpoise issue with the pantera helps to have more power. The one I was in was a 310hp 454.
Never really noticed the porpoise with twin 415HP 502's, but then again it wasnt my boat, the driver may have done something to overcome it.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I've never been on a 28 cig, but I have been on a 28 pantera with twin big blocks. The pantera had a serious porpoise at WOT in calm water. I've heard that the porpoise issue with the pantera helps to have more power. The one I was in was a 310hp 454.

My Apache handles great and the motors are relatively easy to work on. You don't need to use the tabs or constantly adjust the trim. Get on plane touch up the trim and thats it. Its balanced well and easy to drive. You can pull both motors without removing anything, including exhaust. Last summer we pulled and installed the starboard side without taking off anything. I'd venture to say the 28 Apache has the biggest engine room out of all the 28's. There is enough room for twin 850SC Merc's without modifying the hatch. Gun Smoke had twin 850's. It actually has somewhat of a raised hatch you can see from the rear. I have been able to sit on the floor of the engine bay with the motors in. In order to change out the plugs I will probobly have to pull the inside risers. I will say that I'm not looking forward to pulling the drain plugs. Freeboard and cabin headroom is also a huge plus.
I like the looks of the Apache, where did they find the swim platform...looks good. I have considered adding one to my SS, but my exhaust comes out above the rib and I dont think it would look good with 4 big pipes above the platform.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

I've seen a 28ss with BBC and prochargers....no room to slide a piece of paper between them! but cool as hell!
Attached Thumbnails Any factory 28ss w/ big blocks?  How would it handle?-28ss500efi.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
I've seen a 28ss with BBC and prochargers....no room to slide a piece of paper between them! but cool as hell!
Even getting to the batteries to check on them is a challenge.

I just changed mine over from 3EE's to Group 27's, I had to roll the battery box up like a taco to get past that tube on the right hand side and into the new battery tray and may have to pull the right motors exhaust manifold to put the battery in the battery box.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Registered

Nice hatch, I would love to see more pictures of it, the stock hatches were flat and had 3 scoups across the back edge for riser clearence. Mine with late model stock 425HP 454's had to have a hole cut for the carbs to stick thru.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, thanks for posting.

That is the best setup I've seen on any of the 28's I've even seen. I had the pics of the rest of that boat somewhere, & can't find them now!

Their engine compartments don't allow for much, but as you can see, they can be fit with decent sized power with a little work.

When I redid mine, I decided to supercharge my SB's, instead of trying to fit BB's in it. I did the conversion from TRS drives to Bravo's, so when I added the superchargers, the boat REALLY woke up. The ProCharger setup allowed for the best clearance & power at the time, so that's the route I took:

Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

here are the only other pics i have of that boat. These were taken back in 02 during one of the fun runs we had to Racine. This 28 has ext box's on the back of it as well....the owner at that time said she runs in the low 90's
Attached Thumbnails Any factory 28ss w/ big blocks?  How would it handle?-28ss500efi_2.jpg   Any factory 28ss w/ big blocks?  How would it handle?-28ss500efidash.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 175 Posts

Holy cow, how do you get to the drain plugs? Or do you just fill it up with anti-freeze?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Crallscars
I like the looks of the Apache, where did they find the swim platform...looks good. I have considered adding one to my SS, but my exhaust comes out above the rib and I dont think it would look good with 4 big pipes above the platform.
Not sure, it came with the boat. The transom is a lot taller than the Cigs so plenty of room for a swim platform. Really nothing custom about it. Have you thought about making one with cutouts for the exhaust. Or maybe just doing a single step platform in the middle of both exhaust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.