Bottom Wedge... >

Bottom Wedge...

Notices

Bottom Wedge...

Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
Im sure phil wont be doing any glass work himself and he will probably out source the work anyway. i Don't see how the mexican kid that would probably end up doing the work will do any better of a job than say some one like "glass dave". Dont especially want to trailer it all the way to FL for a simple mod when there are guys more than capable of doing it just an hour away. If there were two identical boats side by side and one was a lipship and one wasn't im sure 98% of people couldnt tell the difference. just my .02 cents....
+ Was thinking the same thing! Give him specs and he can deliver. Not trying to dis anyone in florida!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Registered

I talked to phil after a poker run this summer about my setup...i don't think he wanted any part of it. In a nut shell he told me to sell what i have and to move to a twin step and to get in a boat with newer technology. Sure easier said then done but i'm trying to work with what i have. Tres Martin is a guru on setting these boats up and i have no doubt that he knows what he's talking about....I was just wondering who had this modification done to their boat and how it handled after. I believe he started dong it to stop the porpoising issue these boats had.

Yea Phil won't touch it, in fact he rarely talks to anyone who doesnt want to dish out 200+ K for one of HIS boats, With that said, I am curious why you would go the hull route for 5 MPH ?? I would think a little engine work, props, x dimension, boxes etc... might get what you are looking for and not scare off any potential future buyers cause you changed the hull. I build custom choppers and I have customers come to me all the time to chop their harley frame to make a better rake, my answer is always, you chop it , you own it for life cause 80% of the resale value will be lost immediatley !!

Just my .02
Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would listen to Tres, him and his father were Cigarette Dealers and have worked on alot of Cigs from mechanical to Bottoms probably more than anyone.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Im sure phil wont be doing any glass work himself and he will probably out source the work anyway. i Don't see how the mexican kid that would probably end up doing the work will do any better of a job than say some one like "glass dave". Dont especially want to trailer it all the way to FL for a simple mod when there are guys more than capable of doing it just an hour away. If there were two identical boats side by side and one was a lipship and one wasn't im sure 98% of people couldnt tell the difference. just my .02 cents....
I talked to phil after a poker run this summer about my setup...i don't think he wanted any part of it. In a nut shell he told me to sell what i have and to move to a twin step and to get in a boat with newer technology. Sure easier said then done but i'm trying to work with what i have. Tres Martin is a guru on setting these boats up and i have no doubt that he knows what he's talking about....I was just wondering who had this modification done to their boat and how it handled after. I believe he started dong it to stop the porpoising issue these boats had.

Originally Posted by tanner
Yea Phil won't touch it, in fact he rarely talks to anyone who doesnt want to dish out 200+ K for one of HIS boats, With that said, I am curious why you would go the hull route for 5 MPH ?? I would think a little engine work, props, x dimension, boxes etc... might get what you are looking for and not scare off any potential future buyers cause you changed the hull. I build custom choppers and I have customers come to me all the time to chop their harley frame to make a better rake, my answer is always, you chop it , you own it for life cause 80% of the resale value will be lost immediatley !!

Just my .02

I don’t believe it is just being able to tell the difference between looking at two boats it is also about the service and good advice that he gives his customers. I am sure that Phil would love to sell you a boat that you can use every day without having handling problems, rather then to keep throwing good money at an experiment. And in the end you could have bought a step bottom. Believe me I know. But if you like your straight bottom boat run it and be happy with it. It will never run as good as a step bottom.

I did not spend any ware near 200k for my boat when I bought it from Phil. Some guys are tire kickers that want to haggle and beat you down, tell you what is wrong with the boat. They want something for nothing. In the end they are not a serious buyer.

Just my .02
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dnebo
I don’t believe it is just being able to tell the difference between looking at two boats it is also about the service and good advice that he gives his customers. I am sure that Phil would love to sell you a boat that you can use every day without having handling problems, rather then to keep throwing good money at an experiment. And in the end you could have bought a step bottom. Believe me I know. But if you like your straight bottom boat run it and be happy with it. It will never run as good as a step bottom.

I did not spend any ware near 200k for my boat when I bought it from Phil. Some guys are tire kickers that want to haggle and beat you down, tell you what is wrong with the boat. They want something for nothing. In the end they are not a serious buyer.

Just my .02
Very well said Darren...some people just dont get it.

Todd
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

I have talked to people that said Tres will do this mod for very cheap (couple thousand $) and they have seen 3-5mph. In my mind its a no brainer. I really don't know so don't get mad but how many race boats has Phil setup and tried to squeeze every last mph out of? Meaning messed with drive heights, bottom config, etc... It's like your car, would you ask the salesman or the mechanic about your brakes?

Last edited by 302Sport; 03-15-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
I have talked to people that said Tres will do this mod for very cheap (couple thousand $) and they have seen 3-5mph. In my mind its a no brainer. I really don't know so don't get mad but how many race boats has Phil setup and tried to squeeze every last mph out of? Meaning messed with drive heights, bottom config, etc... It's like your car, would you ask the salesman or the mechanic about your brakes?
Really?? You honestly do not know how many boats Philly has set up for racing / pleasure on just trying to get "every last mph out of it"...hell Tres raced the gladiator twin step for all those years that Philly and Neil designed...I think thats pretty cool to design a boat / bottom (ANY CIG TS) that everyone wants now a days! If you ever get a chance to deal with Philly you will realize he is much more than a salesman...on the first day!

Todd
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tanner

Just my .02
QUOTE=302Sport;3642120]I have talked to people that said Tres will do this mod for very cheap (couple thousand $) and they have seen 3-5mph. In my mind its a no brainer. I really don't know so don't get mad but how many race boats has Phil setup and tried to squeeze every last mph out of? Meaning messed with drive heights, bottom config, etc... It's like your car, would you ask the salesman or the mechanic about your brakes?[/QUOTE]

Anybody can buy a new boat and go fast but not everybody can make a an old boat go fast... Not too many flat bottom full cabin guns can hit 100mph, 3 to 5 would get me in that range. In my opinion a 100mph gun is something worth bragging about. Even if i had a 2012 39' id tear it apart and try to make it go faster, its just the way iam i guess. Since i didn't buy my boat from philly i don't get the lipship service, id rather not talk to someone who has no interest in helping and who is probably rolling his eyes the whole time he is on the phone with me. A Cigarette is a Cigarette and i wouldnt "not" buy a boat because the previous owner did something to it to make it ride and perform better. If that was the case nobody would buy aftermarket or performance parts, there is always room for improvement. im not ripping on phil but what does he actually do to a boat? he supervises it at the factory to make sure everything is done right? the only thing i see is that all the screw heads are matching and all lined up the same and he put a embroidered logo in it....I have two good friends who have top notch cigs that are probably as good as they get and are right from the factory. BUT BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT...."Has anyone ever added a wedge to the bottom of their flat bottom gun?"
Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Are you serious? Phils been racing boats since he was a teenager. Guy holds American and international championships and has been "tweaking" cigarettes to get the top MPH for the better part of his life oh, and he still works with cigarette on changes to the overal design, the bottom, the deck etc.

"salesman"? Yes. But if that's all you know of him then you don't know much. Sure, you hear about the large dollar sales he makes on new cigs all the time but these pale in comparisson to all the "offline" deals he does putting people into their dream boats. Wont talk to you unless you spend 200k? Really? I paid 85k for my gun through him, he helped me on financing and became a very good friend. Me and my wife have had countless meals with him, stayed at his house and have been invoted on poker runs with him. But yea, he only caters to the high end customers!

One of, if not thee most knowledgable people in the industry when it comes to Cigarette and the only person that I know of in the industry that has dedicated his life to cigarette.

I'm not trying to start a Phil vs tres argument. Tres is great in his own right and if he says he can do the work and you respect him so highly why are you on here second guessing what he told you?

Knowing Phil the way I do, you asked Phil about screwing with the chines in order to get a few mph. Instead of being a "salesman" and seeing dollar signs telling you to bring it down and start throwing money at it, it sounds to me like he gave you some sound advise. Which was basically, if you're looking to keep pushing a hull that has met its limits why not sell the boat and get into a used twin step that will run those speeds with virtually stock HP?

Don't dog the guy because he gave you his honest assessment just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear. And definately don't disrespect the guys knowledge and heritage. I those are pretty clear from the vast majority of people in the industry and customers alike that respect him. But there's always haters out there. Go figure.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Registered

No offense taken by me.
If Tres can do this modification and gain 3-5 mph (especially for a couple thousand) I think it may be the way to go. I agree it is a no brainer. I can’t tell you how many race boats Phil has set up. I know he has set up his share of race boats.
But I also can’t tell you how many race boats Tres has set up either. I don’t think Phil is interested in setting up a pleasure boat like a race boat. He sells pleasure boats.
I would like to see how this modification turns out.
I know Bigfarmer and I know his boat. And I think he will get his best results with these modifications from Tres.
I am not trying to sound negative; I thought of some same modifications, it was getting frustrating throwing money at my old boat.
I have a friend of mine that told me over and over again ride your boat and enjoy it. It took me a while before I listened. I like my boat a lot more now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.