Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
need help converting rocker switches to toogle switches! >

need help converting rocker switches to toogle switches!

Notices

need help converting rocker switches to toogle switches!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help converting rocker switches to toogle switches!

I currently have a 1999 35 top gun that I am re doing the dash. I have found the carling toogle switches lit tip. Does anyone no exactly which switches I need for the 19 that are on the dash? This seems a little harder than I thought. I know there are several people that have done this conversion already. Looking for the correct switches! Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Registered

Or do you know who I could call and get help in ordering them from as well?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Lip Ship Cigarette, he sell's them, and has them listed in his online store
Old 03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Registered

BuckeyeFountain - I'm wanting to do this same thing if possible. Please let me know what you find out....if it is a fairly easy conversion I'm all for doing it but I've been told it is difficult and fairly expensive.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 3,032 Likes on 994 Posts

Have you already redone the dash piece itself to fit the smaller toggles? I know everyone says "call phil" but seriously, each switch has a different throw (some single - ignition, some double - light switches, and some triple - bildge) and different prongs. I don't know how much time Phil will have to put together a toggle package but it's worth a shot. If not, you'll have to pull each switch figure out how many prongs, throws and if they're constant on or not (as in, ignition switches are not constant on).

It is a huge undertaking. I was going to do it on my gun with a custom built back lit dash piece to light the switch labels but gave up after seeing how involved it would be!

I know Darren's (Dnibo) has done it on his straight bottom gun but I think Phil actually did it. But he may be able to give you some insight. Good luck brother. Sweet new ride you got there!

Last edited by thisistank; 03-16-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Have you already redone the dash piece itself to fit the smaller toggles? I know everyone says "call phil" but seriously, each switch has a different throw (some single - ignition, some double - light switches, and some triple - bildge) and different prongs. I don't know how much time Phil will have to put together a toggle package but it's worth a shot. If not, you'll have to pull each switch figure out how many prongs, throws and if they're constant on or not (as in, ignition switches are not constant on).

It is a huge undertaking. I was going to do it on my gun with a custom built back lit dash piece to light the switch labels but gave up after seeing how involved it would be!

I know Darren's (Dnibo) has done it on his straight bottom gun but I think Phil actually did it. But he may be able to give you some insight. Good luck brother. Sweet new ride you got there!
What he said... before you call Phil, figure out what you need.

single pole single throw, simple on/off toggle single pole double throw on/off/on ( for pumps and such) and momentary meaning switch works when continuous pressure on it. you need to check each one and its function. Also check the posts on the back to see what else may or may not be hooked to it.

Here is a simple graphic that will explain how each switch works and you can liken it to the ones as you test them.

http://www.exman.com/switch.html

SPST or Single Pole Single Throw – Simple on-off switch, this means there
is only one circuit through the switch and one on position. Used to interrupt
current for a single pole of a circuit. (lights, stereo etc)

SPDT Centre Off - ON-OFF-ON - A special version of the standard SPDT switch. It has a third
switching position in the centre which is off. (used for bilge pumps or tabs etc)
Momentary (ON)-OFF-(ON) versions are also available
where the switch returns to the central off position when released. (Hatches, cabin doors)

once you figure out what you need, phil can handle it. I got the lighted end ones for my 20 cig.

Last edited by offshoredrillin; 03-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Yeah I can tell you exactly how to do it...Call Phil!!!

I was going to do it myself too. I bought the dash panels and bought the switches FROM Phil and spent almost a whole day just messing with all the wiring and after that was only about 40% done...I brought the boat to Phil and let him finish it. Granted I'm right down the road from him but it's a pain in the A$$!!!

The new panels probably won't exactly line up with the old screw holes, the wires might not be long enough, there are a number of little things that make it much more complicated than it looks. Not that it's impossible, it certainly is, it's just a lot more involved than it looks. And as everyone has said, you need to know what each switch is, SPST, DPDT, etc, etc, etc...

But if you want to tackle it yourself and your rocker's match up with what I have on my old pic then let me know and I can tell you what most of the switches will need to be...off my receipt FROM Phil

Here's some before and after pix for reference
Attached Thumbnails need help converting rocker switches to toogle switches!-dash_old.jpg   need help converting rocker switches to toogle switches!-dash_new.jpg   need help converting rocker switches to toogle switches!-dash_toggles.jpg  

Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

THanks Guys!

Jason, I sent you an email last week did you get it? Yes, I called Phil but he seemed very busy! I ordered a few things from him and he seemed to be a very nice guy to deal with! He really wanted me to bring the boat to him! But, this is not feasible! I live in ohio! Plus, its boating season! He really didnt want to help me with the switches because he said it was a big job and he didn't want to just order the switches! Obviously, there is not much mark up on switches! I totally understand his position! Just thought I would ask around on the forum!

I have already ordered the dashes from Steve at Innotech! He has been AWESOME to deal with.

Jason my dash is exactly like your old one! I bought all my Livorsi products from Steve he gave me a GREAT package deal. The problem is Livorsi goes not carry the lit tip switch. I do not want rockers switches back! They look so old school!

I received all my goodies today in the mail! This was like the best christmas ever today. I received the monster mega gauges in red bezels with white gauge and all red writing and red needles. They look bad A$$! also, new red cup holders, new steering wheel, new red ultra thin indicators, bullet chrome shifters with red knobs and bezels. Also, received my 740i garmin.
Hopefully, I will have my carbon fiber black dash next week!

I really need to get the switches ordered. I have a list that Livorsi did for rockers couldn't I just order the same thing but in toggle?

I also received new optima batteries today. ALong with red bullet battery holders from diamond!

Still waiting on my red carpet from snap in carpet. SHould be done in another week. I ordered the embroidery logo on foot carpet and the shaved carpet logo on cabin runner and the cockpit carpet!

I still need some cool 7.7 JL audio speaker grills! I hate the old school grills. Does anyone have a lead for these! Would be cool to just get the new still grill I guess in white.

I am also having all the cockpit vinyl done in July. I thought I wanted carbon Fiber but this stuff is not very soft. I think I am going with the new ultraleather in white and red. Does anyone know anything about this? Do you know what kind cigarette is using NOW?

Will post some pictures when done.

ALso, have all gauges and dash panels available in good condition if anyone is interested in them!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

Hey buckeye I did get it, just been super busy with work and building my motors. I just PM'd you back

BTW, great mods! You're boats gunna look sick!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I replaced all my rockers with toggles last year. I wouldn't call it difficult if you have any electrical experience or are mechanicly inclined. It is very time consuming though. I ordered all double pole switches so I had enough terminals, You can use one side of the switch if you don't need both. I wouldn't order switches from any marine store as they will double the price, which is normal. I found some online wholesale electrical store and all the switches ranged from $7 to $9. Just make sure to get carlings in stainless steal. I also replaced all the breakers with push buttons. If you can replace gauges I think you can handle the switches. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.