Who Knows This Tiger?

Notices

Who Knows This Tiger?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Al,

You got two things going against you here.

Never do a partnership on a boat. It never works out.

2nd. 750 hrp on a Tiger with XR's is a drive buster. You will being doing the drives every year and tha't's if you catch it before you blow the top bearing through the side. It's not cheap!

This combo is too much torque for two heavy of a boat with XR drives. IMCO's will not make a difference, they simply will pass on the breakage to the next weakest link, the uppers.

are you going to Desert Storm?

KS
Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Kevin,

When I talked to my buddy about this boat I mentioned a certain TS/TG with 750/XR package and the associated drive problems. That is a lighter boat and steps so the Tiger would have to be babied for the drives to live and that kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a waver crusher boat!

Unfortunately not going to make DS. I am taking the hot rod to the NSRA Street Rod Nationals in Bakersfield that weekend to promote my hot rod business.

Are you going to Dana Point for memorial Day?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that far from me. I have a few buddies that might know a thing or 2 about it, ill see what I can find out when I talk to them.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

4195 chimed in at the same time I posted, should have know his tiger radar would go off!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Frank at Scorpion Racing Engines in Livonia MI did the motors not too long ago.. Give him a call and see what he says about the boat... pretty sure he knows the previous owner as well...Ill sell you my 99' gun with SSM drives for that same price!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Al,

The best thing to do would be to just stay away from it. There's a reason why they don't use Bravos on 42's any more. These boats eat em up. I wouldn't touch one unless it had 6's. You could try the big IMCO drives, they work great and will bolt up, after a helmet change, and if the gimble ring is worn, which it probably is then those will have to be replaced. But by the time you get done with all of that you could have purchased a newer twin step, with 6's.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Registered

Hi Tim,

I hear what you are saying and tend to agree.

Is this your old boat?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o41150-en.html

More money but looks bullet proof.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 3,060 Likes on 998 Posts

Al, have you thought about buying the tiger, pulling the blowers off and just making them 550 NA's? That would be easier on the drives and you could recoop some of the cash from the purchase by selling the blowers/chillers...Just a thought. Big blowers to bravos/XR's is a nightmare, just simple fact.

Last edited by thisistank; 04-16-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 3,060 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Hi Tim,

I hear what you are saying and tend to agree.

Is this your old boat?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o41150-en.html

More money but looks bullet proof.
That is Tim's old boat. The owner (that is selling it) is some sort of drag racer and was trying to make it the fastest Tiger in the world (see the thread in the general section). By the way the thread died and he never reported how it worked out, I'd guess he didn't reach his goal.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Hey Tank. Hadn't really thought of that. Not sure how much $ I could get for the take offs.

Also, not sure I'd want to go less power. You know me, too much is not quite enough! And, wouldn't that boat be a bit of a dog with only 550's?

It's a shame because it is such a super clean boat. If it had 6's it would be perfect. On the other hand, if it had 6's it would probably be another $50K!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.