Top Gun/Whipple question >

Top Gun/Whipple question

Notices

Top Gun/Whipple question

Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Jason I'm putting the same motors with stage 2 intercoolers, mine are bravo set ups in my Mystique, i had 500 efis and that whipple set up isnt much taller than that, i should have 1" or 2" of room...
Yeah this is what everyone is saying, only 1" taller than 500 EFI's so should fit. I just got nervous when it was almost the same height as my 525SC's. Granted it was 1/4" shorter and I guess the sombrero's were mainly for the flame arrestors then...I guess I'll find out soon enough

How are you motors coming along? Any pictures yet?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Okay, couple of comments...

First, I can't believe I was asking this question back in July, apparently I thought i was close to installing the engines then

Second, here's the answer
Attached Thumbnails Top Gun/Whipple question-hatch_whipple_cutouts.jpg   Top Gun/Whipple question-hatch_whipple_cutouts-2.jpg   Top Gun/Whipple question-hatch_whipple_cutouts-3.jpg  

Top Gun/Whipple question-hatch_whipple_cutouts-4.jpg   Top Gun/Whipple question-hatch_whipple_cutouts-5.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice... going to be a very clean install. Congrats.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good Jason glad your back on it, sorry that you had to cut the hatch, when i talked to Dustin about my set up he said you wont be any higher than the CMi headers, i feel bad hope i didn't steer you in the wrong direction, I made the cardnial sin "assume", and the funny thing is that i just painted my hatch yesterday, never checked to see if I'm going to have clearance.... From the top of my old efi it looks like i have about 4.5" to the bottom of the hatch....Hope I'm good..
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shallow Minded
Nice... going to be a very clean install. Congrats.
Yeah I'm happy. This is why I love working with Phil...he's amazing. Originally he thought I would need scoops but then I pushed that I really didn't want them and he worked his magic. The way they did the cutouts is top notch and strong as can be, no problem walking on it on top of the sunpad!

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Looks good Jason glad your back on it, sorry that you had to cut the hatch, when i talked to Dustin about my set up he said you wont be any higher than the CMi headers, i feel bad hope i didn't steer you in the wrong direction, I made the cardnial sin "assume", and the funny thing is that i just painted my hatch yesterday, never checked to see if I'm going to have clearance.... From the top of my old efi it looks like i have about 4.5" to the bottom of the hatch....Hope I'm good..
Ehh, don't worry about it and you didn't steer me at all. It was off by about an inch...so close, but soooo far!

I hope yours fits too. I was told the same thing by Dustin and by several others...same height as stock 525, should fit with no problem...well they were close, lol. Either way I'm happy, when the hatch is closed you won't notice it and that's the clean look I was going for. As I said earlier, I would have loved to go with the newer style hatch but it just wasn't in the cards right now.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Theoretically the height thing they may all be correct, where the differences probably lie are with how the engines are mounted in the boat, x dim and set up. Some boats have come from the factory with the drive holes an inch or so higher on one side. guess it depends on who was reading the tape measure on each particular boat as it was being built. Glad to see it coming together and any project worth doing right is worth taking the time to do it right.