Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
factory rigged x-dim off 5/8" side for side? >

factory rigged x-dim off 5/8" side for side?

Notices

factory rigged x-dim off 5/8" side for side?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default factory rigged x-dim off 5/8" side for side?

Anyone else ever ran into this? My port drive was 5/8" higher than my star.noticed this when i layed out my new holes and its quite obvious.possibly why my boat handled for spit.i measured and measured time after time getting the same results.im just surprised to see the kind of tolerance on a cig much less any boat.i could understand 1/8"-1/4".just curious if anyone else has run into this.either way she's all trued up and almost ready for warm weather.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Were your drives centered off the centerline off the v or were they off to the port side?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Registered

Center lines seem to be good.the heights are(were) just off by a mile.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are you measuring?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered

Bottom center of transom up and over.jacked boat level shot a laser across at the first chine on both sides.also ran 2 8' straight edges along the bottom.also measured from notch up.for good measure i went from bottom of rub rail on each corner shot a line and measured down.regardless its fixed but i was wondering if this is common?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Too often a boat is not perfect when manufactured. I would measure from the bottom of hull (not notch) with a straight edge directly in front of the nose of the drive. Not the very bottom of the V. Make sure the drive is at neutral trim and measure up to the prop shaft center line. That will give you a very accurate measurement of drive height in relation to the bottom of the boat as the drive sees it.

Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 12-19-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Too often a boat is not perfect when manufactured. I would measure from the bottom of hull (not notch) with a straight edge directly in front of the nose of the drive. Not the very bottom of the V. Make sure the drive is at neutral trim and measure up to the prop shaft center line. That will give you a very accurate measurement of drive height in relation to the bottom of the boat as the drive sees it.
Layed out, cut holes, hung the new hardware, checked, disassembled, painted and ready to throw it back together.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Sounds like your moving right along with your project. Gonna be a sweet setup when done.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE: either way she's all trued up and almost ready for warm weather.

Almost ready for warm weather??? If I remember right, you've got a ways to go......(I grew up in Peru)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Sounds like your moving right along with your project. Gonna be a sweet setup when done.
Definitely learning alot.had to find a tail stock, rebuild the other, replace gimble ring, run all new steering, play with ppg's concept series paint and hopefully soon experiment with props.definitely enjoying the project though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.