Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Nauti by Nature Cigarette 38 Top Gun Refresh!! >

Nauti by Nature Cigarette 38 Top Gun Refresh!!

Notices

Nauti by Nature Cigarette 38 Top Gun Refresh!!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmb
Got an Update from Joe at Fast Forward. Joe did not like the way the spray mounted on the block, it required drilling holes into a structural area of the block... So instead of potentially making the block weaker Joe decided to make his own spray bars for the engine.

New CNC Spray bar Joe Designed!!

Billet CNC Clamps for the Spray bar.

Complete Spray bar with an oil shield to keep the hot oil off the bottom of the intake. That should help to keep the intake from getting heat soaked!!
Looks like a T.P. holder

Just kidding, boat looks great!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Looks like a T.P. holder

Just kidding, boat looks great!!!

It's fully adjustable... Front / Back then rotate the spray bar.... That way you are sure it's hitting the cam lobes!!

I'm sure it will look much better when it is machined out of Billet Aluminum and has an Aluminum Hard Line feeding it
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mmb, awesome thread, and as someone said earlier, your attention to detail is inspiring. A lot of people (myself included at times) get anxious and start skipping steps. Recipe for disaster.

Looks like you did some business with a couple guys from my neck of the woods. I know Bob did your cam/valvetrain layout, but I saw a Cam Motion box in your goodies. Kip's a good guy. He ground a couple cams for my old Formula and I couldn't have been more pleased. He also does a bunch of work for a friend of mine that drives an outlaw truck.

Now Earl Zimmer, I had to chuckle when I saw his name come up. That guy is definitely one of a kind. I've done gobs of business with he and Danny, and you're right - first class individual. He has been in business for many years here in Baton Rouge and has forgotten more about powertrain/transmissions than most of us will ever know. I remember talking to him when he had just taken over the Huber line.

Another tidbit - Earl's brother-in-law is Ted McIntyre of Marine Turbine Technologies. ETA: May be former brother-in-law now!!

Again, awesome thread. I don't follow OSO like I used to, but when I see a thread like this, I'm tuned in!!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 AM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by Croozin2
mmb, awesome thread, and as someone said earlier, your attention to detail is inspiring. A lot of people (myself included at times) get anxious and start skipping steps. Recipe for disaster.

Looks like you did some business with a couple guys from my neck of the woods. I know Bob did your cam/valvetrain layout, but I saw a Cam Motion box in your goodies. Kip's a good guy. He ground a couple cams for my old Formula and I couldn't have been more pleased. He also does a bunch of work for a friend of mine that drives an outlaw truck.

Now Earl Zimmer, I had to chuckle when I saw his name come up. That guy is definitely one of a kind. I've done gobs of business with he and Danny, and you're right - first class individual. He has been in business for many years here in Baton Rouge and has forgotten more about powertrain/transmissions than most of us will ever know. I remember talking to him when he had just taken over the Huber line.

Another tidbit - Earl's brother-in-law is Ted McIntyre of Marine Turbine Technologies. ETA: May be former brother-in-law now!!

Again, awesome thread. I don't follow OSO like I used to, but when I see a thread like this, I'm tuned in!!

Thanks!! It motivates me to post more pictures when I know people actually enjoy seeing it!

My custom cams were ground at Cam Motion as well!! Bob must have a pretty good business relationship with them. They are for sure some of the nicest cams I have seen yet!!

Yeah old Earl is awesome!! Reminds me.... I need to bug him again for some new trans pumps. They were out getting heat treated last time I called him! I decided to put brand new pumps on..... Might as well do it while I still have easy access to them. The old pumps are in great shape, but I like the idea of heat treated gears!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 AM
mmb
Registered

Some Pics from last nights session!! While we are waiting for the new Lifter Spray Bars to get machined and installed on the blocks. I am putting the heads together.

I took all the heads to Joe Irwin at Fast Forward. He wanted to check all the guide clearances even though Dart just installed new guides in the heads. Turns out Joe's hunch was right!! He thought the new guides would be a little tight for a 4000-5000rpm endurance Marine engine. Joe ended up Resizing all the guides in both sets of heads!! All I can say is they feel silky smooth now compared to what Dart had them at!! Awesome!!

Heads cleaned and all the valves installed with some lube in the guides

Double Checked my Spring Micrometer before setting up the heads! Springs will be installed at 1.900" Install Height

Setting up The springs heights with the correct amount of shims

Again

All the valves Set and ready to install seals & springs

Installing the screw on seals! I remove the spring and install it last. Otherwise it gets messed up when your screwing the seal on.

Springs on the seals installed. You can see the valve spring seats and shims pretty good in this pic too!

All the seals installed & ready for valve springs

Checking retainer to seal clearance on the exhaust. Cams are right at .650 lift so we are all good!

Retainer to Seal clearance on the intake.

Installing the springs with the spring compressor.

Spring compressed & ready for the valve locks

Springs Installed

Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 AM
mmb
Registered

Now that the heads are set up with a 1.900" spring height. You should have 170 pounds of pressure on seat according the Isky's chart.

Setting up seat pressure gauge.

170 pounds of pressure exactly!! Now it's time to do the remaining heads
Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 378 Likes on 254 Posts

Why Is There paint on valve spring?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 AM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
Why Is There paint on valve spring?
That is how Isky marks there springs. You can look at an old springs and figure out what spring it is by the color code on the spring.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 755 Likes on 407 Posts

Incredible attention to detail.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered

Great job!! The three most expensive words in boating "Might As Well"!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.