Flat deck transducer location

Notices

Flat deck transducer location

Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
pull the access cap and put it in their,out of the way and you can hide the waire better that way..p.s. not the one on the strainer the one in the bulkhead part..
That is access to the fuel lines the fuel tanks are under there.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCIG
I will be out by my boat over the weekend if I remember I will take a picture
I must have missed the email. Maybe it went into my spam folder....
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixx's spot sounded like a good idea to me. I put in a P79 this summer in my much smaller Cig 24. Since it was only silicone for the install, I gambled that it'd like the spot I picked. Did fine, though I wouldn't have chanced it if I didn't know just what the glass was like at that spot.

Sounds like you know the drill based on the bag of water question, so I may have no new info. But I'll share what AirMar support told me in case it's of any use.

They said the 22 degree max on a P79 is just what you'd expect--all about the beam angle. 24 degrees is no problem except it's more than the mounting base is made for. And thus that you can usually cheat and build up a little extra adhesive on the keel side to add some angle for a 24 degree hull.

Also, can't recall exactly why (glass thickness I THINK) but I went a bit more than the aforementioned 4-6 inches up from the keel. More like 10. To get away from the thick, radiused area right along the keel, where the glass was likely thicker than recommended. And went about 4-5 feet forward of the transom.

Put mine on the starboard side as I have a single engine, right hand prop, so the tranducer wants to be on the side of the keel where pressure waves from the prop go downward. With twins and the props well off the centerline, that might take more thinking...maybe the install guide addresses this. (see below).

Mine is a non-cored hull, of course. Transducer shoots right through the glass, no cutting required. Had it been cored, would have to do all the work to get through the coring to the inner side of the outer glass. Standard fare. Not sure what you have.

Also, (apologies if you said you had bought all the equipment already) I took AirMar's advice and ordered a p79 unit straight from a distributor (can't recall the name offhand but AirMar will tell you). The reason for this was to get a universal connector hard-wired to the transducer and NOT one specific to an electronics manufacturer. With that, any brand of sounder is usable with the $5 manufacturer-specific cable that bridges from the universal to whatever maker you choose (Raymarine, Simrad, etc). If you ever switch your sounder, you'll be very happy you started this way.

Here's the P79 install guide too, if you've not seen it.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo.../17-217-01.pdf

From the sound of it you probably knew all of that, but WTH, maybe it will help somebody.

Regards,

Mike

Last edited by Ghost24; 03-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Sounds like its near where my strainer is, no??

Put it at the bottom right of you picture. Outside the stringer, ahead of the transom, behind the bulkhead.

You can't see it with the motor in and it shoots straight down.

Kris
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 4,255 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Thumbs up

^^^ I like that location!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is where mine is at