My 1979 28SS Finally!!

Notices

My 1979 28SS Finally!!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMagloo
I think that's Clark's old boat?
It might be, when I called original engine builder to see what info I could get on engines I am almost positive he mentioned Clark.

Tried putting first engine in last night, engine WON, could not get the engine and trans to mate up right very frustrating....
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Registered

Yeah, going way, way back, the first owner used to own a 20 that was named Smoke'm. His last name is escaping me. Clark had a Donzi named Beep, Beep I think, and the two of them raced around the chain together. I had my 302 at the time and the only place I could catch them was going down the river on the weekends. I thought the Smoke'm guy ordered the boat from Stuewe when he had his place in Palatine. However, I really thought the thing had 400's? If the boat has white patches on the deck, that's got to be it. It was in storage at the marina at the corner of 59 and Grand for many years, and then I lost track. Things that far back are getting a little fuzzy. Good luck with this. I can't wait to see it finished!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Congrats. Very cool paint scheme - funny that some new stuff from CIG has recently had the same design!!

Don't let that engine get the best of you! That tight of an engine compartment could frustrate anyone.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Registered

Boat looks great! I am in the process of doing the same project as we speak. It is ALOT of work but well worth it in my eyes.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MrMagloo
Yeah, going way, way back, the first owner used to own a 20 that was named Smoke'm. His last name is escaping me. Clark had a Donzi named Beep, Beep I think, and the two of them raced around the chain together. I had my 302 at the time and the only place I could catch them was going down the river on the weekends. I thought the Smoke'm guy ordered the boat from Stuewe when he had his place in Palatine. However, I really thought the thing had 400's? If the boat has white patches on the deck, that's got to be it. It was in storage at the marina at the corner of 59 and Grand for many years, and then I lost track. Things that far back are getting a little fuzzy. Good luck with this. I can't wait to see it finished!
Thanks for the info,
I started boating on the chain approx. 14 years ago or so and I remember seeing this cigarette out there and I always wished I owned it....now I do.... If the engines are 400's great! I did not bring the engines back to the fellas who did these engines originally, my gut told me not to and I am glad I did they would never have informed me of the wrong repairs put into these motors...

I cannot wait to see it finished either LOL...
Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Looks like the Miami boat show 28 Cig. in 1979, Whats the hull number?

Is it the original Gelcoat?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a fairly original 1979 SS She was a western drug runner, Original owner was running drugs up from Tijuana to San Diego

Originally, twin 454's 330 HP with TRS drives. What's your Vin # ? my serial number is CRT282850879.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 AM
Registered

sorry for the long delay have been extremely busy, Cigarette is back together in the water and runs excellent I love the boat. Interior turned out beautiful except for the strips not lining up on seat bottom, but he is fixing that in fall, I did have those cup holders added I liked the way they turned out. I also had one added underneath throttle controls hidden from sight... I have countless hours in this boat it is nice to see it finally in the water! I am thinking I will be updating the steering over winter....

Now if somebody will part with a steering wheel center cap life will be complete

I will post VIN # in the next couple days I do not have with me at my office.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Looks like the Miami boat show 28 Cig. in 1979, Whats the hull number?

Is it the original Gelcoat?
Yes the original Gelcoat, it has lost some of its color on the bottom nothing to major, but I will be having redone over winter, but sides look excellent.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your boat looks great, almost identical to mine.
Your exhaust raisers are SS tubing in stead of cast iron and sit much lower than mine, mine has 3 scoups across the back of the hatch. Have the manifolds or raisers been up dated? It looks like your exhaust tips are muffled, what kind of tips are you using?
Mine come right off the risers to stainless tips with the ends cut off at a 45, look fine but pretty noisy.

Last edited by Crallscars; 06-10-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.