My 1979 28SS Finally!!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:52 PM
yss
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha24
Bryan,

Apology accepted.
Not going to lie that thru me for a loop seeing a stranger getting picked up on my dock........

Funny story,I am gong to look at Larry's old cigarette tomorrow, a friend of the family owns, most likely there will be two black 28ss's in my driveway by tomorrow afternoon.
If that happens I will pick my favorite one and sell the other very soon.

Stayed tuned..
Cool. Larry took great care of that boat and last time I saw it (last year) it was in excellent shape. I almost bought it before I bought my Cig. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Last time I saw Larrys boat was front of the Port for sale,2-3 summers ago,around 24k,,,looked good from the road but up close it showed its age and pretty much a leave and drive as is or restore the complete boat..
Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
I know that boat! dennis macwell use to own it and it was named starship...reason that is had 2 different engines was because one engine injested water and kicked a rod out the side ..one of the exhaust headers were cracked so watch out for those things..anyhoo tony at a shop in addison il just put a bone stock 454 engine it it and it was a pooch and the other engine needed to be gone through..i detailed the boat years ago ...
Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Both engines run excellent right now very solid and "safe".
BUT... I wished I would have thought about this a little more before the rebuild, right now I am running 65-67,
Not exactly happy with that already making my winter list, which will definitely include upgraded steering system desperately needed. The exhaust system will be replaced also, there will be engine work involved I am working with someone on this now.

I know I am putting more into this boat than I probably should. I really do enjoy the boat.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
Last time I saw Larrys boat was front of the Port for sale,2-3 summers ago,around 24k,,,looked good from the road but up close it showed its age and pretty much a leave and drive as is or restore the complete boat..
I decided I did not need two 28 cigarettes, I have yet to see one as clean as the one I own now, only hull work boat needs is top side, deck area, all above rub rail, bottom could use a little attention, but could stay the way it is. My cockpit area is all excellent especially with the new interior and carpet, the teak cleaned up excellent.
I like the old school look, i know it is not for everybody, I like the fact that all my gauges are original nice and work excellent.
Don't get me wrong I enjoy the new boats also, if I did not own this it would most likely be a 32 Fountain.