My Flat Deck transom replacement and paint project >

My Flat Deck transom replacement and paint project

Notices

My Flat Deck transom replacement and paint project

Old 02-28-2015, 08:53 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sonic700
Here is a update. Stringers were shot so replaced all of them and added two more. Also changed the layout of them so the water was able to drain better. There was so many patches to be made to the transom we decided to cut the entire thing out. All the glass work and paint is finished and getting everything together to re-rig it.
Keep up the work. Know all about the stringers not draing well.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks great man. Bet you gotta be excited to start bolting it back together.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Here is a update. Stringers were shot so replaced all of them and added two more. Also changed the layout of them so the water was able to drain better. There was so many patches to be made to the transom we decided to cut the entire thing out. All the glass work and paint is finished and getting everything together to re-rig it.
Looks great! I don't miss the winter I cpmpletely redid my Baja....
Old 03-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan the boat looks great with new blue stripes
Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Chris. Bet you are ready to run that cig you picked up. Going to start putting it back together next weekend. At least the parts will be clean going back in.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So , with all the new stuff I'm sure it will be in Key West in November. Nice work.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick question....

Everything I have read about transom replacements has said never remove the outer glass/gel without the wood inside as you lose the structural position and stability of the sidewalls and hull. Did your glass guy do anything to brace everything so it stays in position? As I embark on a transom replacement I am always thinking of how much easier this replacement would be if done from the outside. I am willing to take a few extra steps to brace the inside if that would make it possible Just wondering if your glass guy had any insight?

Thanks
Jim
Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chris. Bet you are ready to run that cig you picked up. Going to start putting it back together next weekend. At least the parts will be clean going back in.
I am it is at (Jim Watson) Ozark speed and marine down in the Ozarks in his shop. I cant wait to see yours in the water with the new paint. I aways like the colors of your's and mark's boats.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Registered

I'll be in Key West, the boat will be put away. Much better for me to be down there with no responsibilities. Thats awesome Jim is a good guy. Can't wait to see yours as well.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Registered

Jim. I am not even close to a glass guy. What happened was I removed the inside glass and the rotted wood. Then it was taken to the glass shop, That's when it was decided to cut the transom out due to the amount of repairs that had to be done to the outside. When the back was cut out they left about an 1-1/2 all the way around. That's what kept the sides, top, and bottom true. Then the boat and the transom were ground to a 45. After that the inside has multiple layers of glass as well as a couple on the outside. Hope this helps. I can get more specific info if need be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.