Things to look for? >

Things to look for?

Notices

Things to look for?

Old 01-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhythm and Blues
Really!? Dammit! I live on a 19 mile tidal river and strait bottom Cigs are what my heart is set on... F$!K... Well it does chop up quite a bit, I'm not throwing in my hand just yet... Thanks for the insight.
Our 94 flat bottom TG with bravos doesn't porpoise often. We run it a lot on the CT River. I have several videos to prove it. Running on flat glass water...she is running on rails with no bunny hop. Actually here is a video

http://youtu.be/JUaS2DF--BI
Old 01-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 4,385 Likes on 1,253 Posts

My Flat Deck doesn`t porpoise much . Not anything more than any other boat I`ve owned anyway

Can`t say the same for the Sonic at the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs-2XkHYkts
Old 01-22-2016, 08:59 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you absolutely love the classic boats like most in this thread you would be better off to spend $150K on a nice clean twin step gun. That is what you will have into the boat by the time it is reliable!!

As far as things to look for, I would pull all the dash panels up and look at the wiring, remove a speaker and look for extra wires run to the bilge (from shorted out engine harnesses) We just rewired my gun because it had 20 years worth of clust****ing idiots working on it.....

Look at receipts for all work done, if they can't provide them consider it as nothing was done and move to the next boat. Nobody spends $60K on these things and doesn't keep a folder with receipts.....

My gun porpoised like crazy on flat water but after taking Tres Martin's class and driving the boat his way it has never done it again. It is perfectly smooth at all speeds in flat water now!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:02 AM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
All straight bottom cigarettes will porpoise in flat water. Bullet, cafe, top gun and it doesn't matter what drives they have. They are not made to run on the river, once you hit a little chop they level right out
They will run perfectly smooth if you drive the boat correctly! Tres Martin fixed my porpoise issues after taking his class... It is 100% operator thats making the boat porpoise.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by mmb
Unless you absolutely love the classic boats like most in this thread you would be better off to spend $150K on a nice clean twin step gun. That is what you will have into the boat by the time it is reliable!
Disagree. There are several flat bottom examples out there for sub 70k that are ultra reliable, in good shape, etc. our boat is one of them. It didn't need anything when we bought it. Haven't had any issues knock on wood. Even with top end refreshes we are well below 150k.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Our 94 flat bottom TG with bravos doesn't porpoise often. We run it a lot on the CT River. I have several videos to prove it. Running on flat glass water...she is running on rails with no bunny hop. Actually here is a video

http://youtu.be/JUaS2DF--BI
No, not at all; as a matter of fact it carries the bow real nice in calm water..
Old 01-22-2016, 11:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Disagree. There are several flat bottom examples out there for sub 70k that are ultra reliable, in good shape, etc. our boat is one of them. It didn't need anything when we bought it. Haven't had any issues knock on wood. Even with top end refreshes we are well below 150k.
+1, I've found several worthy candidates, some with single digit hours on rebuilds.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
My Flat Deck doesn`t porpoise much . Not anything more than any other boat I`ve owned anyway

Can`t say the same for the Sonic at the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs-2XkHYkts
Truly inspiring my friend!! Loved that. Naturals or blower motors? I didn't think I heard the whine of roots; but it looks like race fairing..
Old 01-22-2016, 12:08 PM
mmb
Registered

Im sure people do ok every now and again, but the fact is the majority of them out there are money pits. Better to be prepared and catch a nice one then expect to go boating reliably in a 50-60K Cigarette.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

'90 Cafe with 525 Hawks and TRS on Miami Craigslist. $35,000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.