Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
87 was the only year without a notched transom
To think we were going to do this Jamie! Haha
Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The saddle tanks create a very tight space to work in. Lots of creative climbing down there required to keep it clean.
Attached Thumbnails Staggered TOPGUN conversion-image.jpg  
Old 05-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
I am not convinced, that staggered, is faster, or better
Yours and MrPickett's staggered gun is a great comparison since both have big power and #6's. Do both handle and fly essentially the same?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bookshelf
Yours and MrPickett's staggered gun is a great comparison since both have big power and #6's. Do both handle and fly essentially the same?
They both sit about the same in the water, mine docks easier, I am more comfortable in mine because the bolsters are 5" farther back, which allows me to be lower in the boat. The short cockpit in Lock and Load dictate where the bolsters mount. They fly about the same as far as I can tell, and the handling is not noticeable to me. We have kinda tested that on the yearly around Key West run we do in the afternoons during race week. (A complete 360 circle around Key West, with some 2-3 g turns). The staggered drives are high, but still lower on the hull, so it has more grounding issues, he used to run aground a lot, even when following me. He does not run aground any more. my slip is 5-6 % less, than the stagger, so I cruise 62 -3500, at about 300 rpm less than the stagger. We have tested all props, 4,5, and 6 blades, diameters, rakes, etc. L&L is faster at top end now, twin 875s vs twin 1150s. L&Ls slip comes down as the speed increases. L&L would be faster, if his wife was not on board.

It is very cool to be able to run both types of setups all over like we do.
Attached Thumbnails Staggered TOPGUN conversion-image.jpg   Staggered TOPGUN conversion-image.jpeg  
Old 05-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpickett357
The saddle tanks create a very tight space to work in. Lots of creative climbing down there required to keep it clean.
Worked on a friends boat with staggered and was mother*ucking the pipes from the port motor while changing plugs and wires on the starboard motor. It also doesn't help being 6'3" tall lol

Last edited by shepnic74; 05-27-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by shepnic74
Worked on a friends boat with staggered and was mother*ucking the pipes from the port motor while changing plugs and wires on the starboard motor. It also doesn't help being 6'3" tall lol
It takes more patience working on the stagger, I have Zero
Old 05-27-2016, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya being a bigger guy I always feel like I'm gonna lean against something the wrong way and break it. I like being able to sit in front of both motors and just give them the reach around lol
Old 05-27-2016, 04:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero Patience
The staggered tailpipes alone are 10k, now add the driveshaft weight, with guard, (it's not light) , plus flanged transmission needed, then you better be putting dry sump 6a on or it's a waste of time. Fill the transom to no holes. Now 5 k for rear standup bolsters, then they don't match the front soooo.. 7 k. Then two custom saddle tanks because the floor tanks were removed. Plus a new longer hatch. Plus, plus plus.

Put big power in what you have and rock on.
Wonder if you could still keep smaller floor tanks as well to help distribute the weight? some apache 41's had both, im sure it would work in a TG
Old 05-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lock & Load has belly tanks also, total fuel load is 300 gallons, 2-100 saddle tanks, 2 50 gallon belly(floor) tanks. I bet it would really go if it did not have those giant, barn door, twin ram, heavy, antique, rectangular, 2" thick, old school, black, drag inducing, boat slowing, last century, k planes that went out of style with the home telephone.

I really don't like those k planes.

Last edited by Zero Patience; 05-27-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our NEXT project will be to fabricate replacement tabs. Skinny, light weight, fast acting, modern material, voice activated, smart phone controlled tabs!
Attached Thumbnails Staggered TOPGUN conversion-image.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.