Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
39 2008 TG .  Old Tommy Gun boat.  Any body have the skinny on this boat? >

39 2008 TG . Old Tommy Gun boat. Any body have the skinny on this boat?

Notices

39 2008 TG . Old Tommy Gun boat. Any body have the skinny on this boat?

Old 02-04-2017, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 39 2008 TG . Old Tommy Gun boat. Any body have the skinny on this boat?

Looking to maybe do a deal on this boat, but have picked up some not so glowing information on the boat from sources on OSO. Questions about the true hours on the boat? Boat was over sea's for awhile? Has lived a significant amount of its time in salt? Boat has 200 hrs on one motor and 298 on the other. Know one ECM has been replaced? Mercury says those things don't go bad very often. Trying to avoid another project boat as I purchased my current 38 last year and immediately had to put brand new motor's in it. Just looking for info on the boat. Is it a take, or cubic zirconia dressed up as a diamond?

Thanks,

Last edited by blewsmoke; 02-05-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

If you toss out a shorted IAC motor frying the ECM, then no, they don't go bad very often.

Last edited by JaayTeee; 02-04-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 126 Posts

The boat spent most of it's life at LOTO, Then went over seas, then back. IT was a very nice boat, one of my personal favorites, The original Owner is on OSO or you could call him direct, PM me if you want his info. He has talked about the boat since he sold it and should be able to fill you in on what the current condition etc is.

I have not personally seen the boat in the last year or so, but it is/was definitely a Diamond.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

As with just about any boat of these calibers, I would not buy it without a thorough survey, as well as a mechanical inspection to include:
-Removing and checking the headers for leaks; as well as checking appropriate areas of engine where header leaks cause havoc
-Leak down tests
-Compression tests
-If possible, borescope of the blowers and other accessible areas (also into seawater sides of cooling system looking for corrosion; and be sure to quick inspections inside the heat exchangers as well)

228 hours with 175 hours at idle is a lot different...
than 228 hours with 175 hours over 5000 rpm.
And if you are unsure of what the PCM hour readouts will tell you, visual inspection is your best bet.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered

Default Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
As with just about any boat of these calibers, I would not buy it without a thorough survey, as well as a mechanical inspection to include:
-Removing and checking the headers for leaks; as well as checking appropriate areas of engine where header leaks cause havoc
-Leak down tests
-Compression tests
-If possible, borescope of the blowers and other accessible areas (also into seawater sides of cooling system looking for corrosion; and be sure to quick inspections inside the heat exchangers as well)

228 hours with 175 hours at idle is a lot different...
than 228 hours with 175 hours over 5000 rpm.
And if you are unsure of what the PCM hour readouts will tell you, visual inspection is your best bet.
Thank you
Old 02-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Most "overseas boats" that I have seen, are used hard, put away wet, and are in less than average condition.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

True story ^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Blewsmoke - clean out your inbox. When I sold it it had about 150 hours on it. I put it up for sale after the Miami to Bimini race in 2010. I know the boat had 1 Stbd. ECU go out when I had it and a second ECU went out after it went to Turkey because I sold the repaired one to the guy thru Lip-Ship. I don't know which engine, Phil may remember, but that's all I know about engine, tranny, drive issues. I had the ECU's reflashed by Whipple, Stage 2 upgrades, but the air cleaners were swapped back out for stock ones before I sold it. Did you check the hours gauges under the dash as compared to the Smartcraft? It has new cabin, cockpit and hatch upholstery which is different than the original. I don't know what else was done to it after it came back. I'm pretty sure new exhaust.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats up Tommy ? are you still boating ?? havent seen you in ages That TG was an awesome boat
Old 02-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by omerta one
Blewsmoke - clean out your inbox. When I sold it it had about 150 hours on it. I put it up for sale after the Miami to Bimini race in 2010. I know the boat had 1 Stbd. ECU go out when I had it and a second ECU went out after it went to Turkey because I sold the repaired one to the guy thru Lip-Ship. I don't know which engine, Phil may remember, but that's all I know about engine, tranny, drive issues. I had the ECU's reflashed by Whipple, Stage 2 upgrades, but the air cleaners were swapped back out for stock ones before I sold it. Did you check the hours gauges under the dash as compared to the Smartcraft? It has new cabin, cockpit and hatch upholstery which is different than the original. I don't know what else was done to it after it came back. I'm pretty sure new exhaust.
Will do, I will reach out to you and get a call with you soon. Thanks for all the info!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.