Help me understand gun pricing

Notices

Help me understand gun pricing

Old 04-26-2019, 06:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Come on...its not that much to ask for...80 mph twin step gun like new under 100k hahahaha

In all seriousness didn't want this to turn into a "what should I buy" kind of thread although everyones opinions and suggestions are VERY much appreciated!! I was just looking for an explanation on the huge price delta between straight bottoms and T/S and we have def covered that!! Just amazing to me that age really plays no part in the pricing of these suckers lol Its all about what she can do and how it was built really...few MPH little bit more modern motors and you can double the price...heck wish it was that way for my Nordic!! That thing would be worth 100k hahaha..all jokes aside thanks a ton guys! Super informative as always

LS...if its the same boat...believe we talked a little while back about yours...not sure I can stretch my budget that much but when you're ready to sell things may be different!! If plans change maybe I'll see ya at the rendezvous
as far as age goes, don't always matter... look at 41 Apaches... 80's boats big $$ all about demand.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

As with most boats, depends on condition, and equipment. Look at prices, obviously if engines have 300+ hours on them and need attention the price is going to be lower, if interior is beat, gauges original, paint work, Drives need rebuild. Prices will be lower. But TS boats that have 10-15 hours on EFI motors, Newly rebuilt XR drives, Imco Lowers, updated interiors, covers, newer trailers are always going to command the money. Hard to compare boats.

How much parted out do :
2 Newly Rebuilt Mercury EFI Engines go for
2 Newly Rebuilt XR Drives with IMCO Lowers, Transom Assembly
New Style CMI Headers
2 5-6 Blade Props
All New Gauges, New panels
New Trailer
Add the equipment. It all depends. Interior work and Covers also add a premium. Lots of factors and options

Not to mention some boats have paint that sometimes shows age, ugly or just not what the buyer wants.

Last edited by cigrocket; 04-26-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Good news - you’re not alone as I’m seeing the same. But I will save you the same boat pun.

I’m a fan of red boats and the colors aren’t there for me. Ratchet the budget a bit and there are several nice boats near the 200s. However, some are coming up on overhaul intervals or have skeletons in the closet I’m not comfortable committing to owning as I know I’ll upgrade at some point... and I want the least painful boat for resale also I don’t want to buy into a boat needing overhauled. I want to boat!

Stretch the legs and dig up some money and as you go North of 250 you can be in 39s or nearly 42x with 700s. Again, most ready for rebuilds or soon on the horizon which puts it out of reach for me.

But isn’t the best part finding the right one?
Old 04-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

What did those T/S guns cost new, versus a 90s non-step? %-wise? That may be one reason you see resale prices higher. what's a new 42X cost? Hard to say without equipment specified, start @ $500K? Well, after XX years, what's the resale? $350K? Bonkers.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
as far as age goes, don't always matter... look at 41 Apaches... 80's boats big $$ all about demand.
Tim I think that's a little different. What's available, maybe like 15 or 20, 41ft Apaches left?
Old 04-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
What did those T/S guns cost new, versus a 90s non-step? %-wise? That may be one reason you see resale prices higher. what's a new 42X cost? Hard to say without equipment specified, start @ $500K? Well, after XX years, what's the resale? $350K? Bonkers.
that might be hard to determine...have to also adjust for inflation which is a huge factor being 25 years removed from the 1990’s.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Tim I think that's a little different. What's available, maybe like 15 or 20, 41ft Apaches left?
More then that, but simple fact is supply and demand.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I think that has more to do with size, a 42 tiger is a BIG boat. Bigger truck, bigger slip, lift etc. Those things are huge and if you are not on big water why have it.
Exactly!! I should know, But there's nothing like seeing that long deck in front of you and it eats up the swells. Tiger with 575's does 85mph with 700's 90mph
Old 04-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
well other than a step hull being faster w stock power i pretty much disagree with every statement made. I chose a Tiger over a gun and have zero regret (paint by richy excluded).. even with the stock 500's and xrs, my boat rode great in any water and handled great, no porpoise and was a 73 mph boat on 87 octane, when i did the first upgrades i stayed with my xrs and only had one bottom end let loose, and it had 472 hours on it. when i did the whipple upgrade i did switch to scx, but ran the xr lower for a season with no issues at all, i now run the imco sc lower, still xr gears, no problems. a 00 and up tiger weighs less than a late 90s gun as they were vacuum bagged, i know this because my boat was the first bagged hull. the only thing wrong with a tiger with less power is you will eventually want to go faster, with my first upgrades i was in low 80's and in bigger water I outran the shorter boats , I also outlasted the rest of the field in my class and won the 08 miami to bimini race.
Power upgrade and SCX drives = awesome boat.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
What were your "first upgrades"....low 80's is fine with me....being I have never seen a tiger...how does cockpit and cabin compare to a gun honestly?? From what I've seen in pics cockpits look very similar and I would have to imagine that with the extra length being forward that the cabin has to be slightly larger??
plenty of room in engine compartment,
A little shorter between bolster and rear bench seat. cabin is long. locker on each side, sink/counter on one side and cooler on the other, 7.6 long bench seats and 6' bed, storage in front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.