SCX or SCX-4 >

SCX or SCX-4

Notices

SCX or SCX-4

Old 04-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Frickstyle-
Thanks for the input, and yes the boat will be run on Lake Michigan.

I need to get the boat up to Michigan so I can get more specifics on the prop shaft depth. I believe it is even with the hull, but I'm going off memory. Sticking with the SCX upper would be easier, as I could change things in stages. Going to the -4, it all needs to be done at once. However, I want to set it up the right way, not the cheapest way. I can run 6 props on either set up, I just need to figure out if the extra -2" is needed/ beneficial.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Frickstyle-

I need to get the boat up to Michigan so I can get more specifics on the prop shaft depth. I believe it is even with the hull, but I'm going off memory. Sticking with the SCX upper would be easier, as I could change things in stages. Going to the -4, it all needs to be done at once. However, I want to set it up the right way, not the cheapest way. I can run 6 props on either set up, I just need to figure out if the extra -2" is needed/ beneficial.
Yep, I would start there. Your "cheapest" move to the -4 will be to find someone whos already done it. I wouldn't do anything to your setup until you find that person, or persons. This will save you tens-of-thousands in R&D. Pay them for their time (knowledge), because your ROI would be 10:1 easy.

I can tell you what "experimenting" gets you - because I could probably have a 39 at this point with what I've spent on converting and redoing this old rig....
Old 04-10-2020, 12:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Frickstyle-

the most cost effective is the scx, you can run a cleaver on any scx lower, it just depends on the X and i think you can get any scx lower in a -3 depth as well, then if you really bump it up you can switch to the dual shaft.. i may wind up with those as well.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
the most cost effective is the scx, you can run a cleaver on any scx lower, it just depends on the X and i think you can get any scx lower in a -3 depth as well, then if you really bump it up you can switch to the dual shaft.. i may wind up with those as well.
I think the SCX only comes in a -2, I'm sure only the SC is available in a -3. The biggest problem with a -3 if they made one is its going to limit your prop size by 1/2" with the SCX. If a 16.5" cleaver will fit in an SCX with an SCX lower, then that will probably be the way I go, but I want to talk a few people that have one of these combos first.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I think the SCX only comes in a -2, I'm sure only the SC is available in a -3. The biggest problem with a -3 if they made one is its going to limit your prop size by 1/2" with the SCX. If a 16.5" cleaver will fit in an SCX with an SCX lower, then that will probably be the way I go, but I want to talk a few people that have one of these combos first.
Yes,
Old 04-10-2020, 01:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

You can run current tech cleavers on Sportmaster and "Bravo Style" https://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-p...d-cnc-cleaver/
Old 04-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Registered

Those props are $5600 each and only 15.25". Ha, I've looked into them, I think I would rather run a bigger prop and take full advantage of the cleaver.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Those props are $5600 each and only 15.25". Ha, I've looked into them, I think I would rather run a bigger prop and take full advantage of the cleaver.
Where are you going to be max HP at stage 3..........mine are close to 800
Old 04-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Where are you going to be max HP at stage 3..........mine are close to 800
I believe it is right around the same.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

I wouldn’t mess with an sc lower, not in big water with good power in front of it, unless you want max speed with an scx upper. I’d go scx-4 with #6 shaft. Get the big bullet as high out of the water as possible. You could go scx 4 with 1-1/4 shaft and use adapter to test cleavers and switch to #6 shaft when you find right setup, then blue print lowers while guts are out, but you’d probably have to mess with spacers for bravo style props and no spacers for cleavers then. There are props out there to test. There are cons to cleaver props but pros outweigh them. Hate to say it but maybe run it for a year as is?

Hard to beat this view, at least on what started life as bravo boat

The following users liked this post:
c0ncEpT (04-22-2020), endeavour32 (11-21-2020), seafordguy (04-11-2020), Tinkerer (04-25-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.