removing bolster frame >

removing bolster frame

Notices

removing bolster frame

Old 11-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default removing bolster frame

1990 Cafe. I'm trying to remove the frame support for the bolsters so I can repaint em. The frames have 4 screws on each side. On both frames all 4 inboard screws come right out, while all 4 outboard screws (bolts?) just turn and go nowhere. Did they really build these so that you have to cut out the floors to remove the bolster frames? I can hardly believe it, but seems so.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 352 Posts

Just had mine pulled out. Put back in and coming out again. Pretty sure they’re just screws.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blown View Post
1990 Cafe. I'm trying to remove the frame support for the bolsters so I can repaint em. The frames have 4 screws on each side. On both frames all 4 inboard screws come right out, while all 4 outboard screws (bolts?) just turn and go nowhere. Did they really build these so that you have to cut out the floors to remove the bolster frames? I can hardly believe it, but seems so.
Cant tell by your pics but I removed mine on my 89 top gun to be re powder coated. I had a couple that were nut & bolted. Mine had an access cover for the fuel sender that I snaked my hand into with a wrench. Tight but it worked out.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 965 Likes on 460 Posts

try putting pressure up on the head of the bolt while spinning it, or rock the seat frame up till it touches and rotate ccw
Old 11-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by smashm View Post
Cant tell by your pics but I removed mine on my 89 top gun to be re powder coated. I had a couple that were nut & bolted. Mine had an access cover for the fuel sender that I snaked my hand into with a wrench. Tight but it worked out.
I just spoke to my mechanic. He said same. Few are through bolted few are large screw. Access to the bolts via panel on the floor.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Got em out. Indeed the round access port on the floor of the starboard side granted access to the bolts on that side, I couldn't get it off before but hammered at it harder today and eventually it screwed out. On the port side you can reach em by removing the panel holding the freshwater hose fixture.

The following 2 users liked this post by blown:
smashm (11-08-2020), thisistank (11-04-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by blown View Post
Got em out. Indeed the round access port on the floor of the starboard side granted access to the bolts on that side, I couldn't get it off before but hammered at it harder today and eventually it screwed out. On the port side you can reach em by removing the panel holding the freshwater hose fixture.
Glad it worked out for you. Can't wait to see the pics when it's back together.