Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
removing bolster frame >

removing bolster frame

Notices

removing bolster frame

Old 11-01-2020, 06:45 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Patuxent River, Maryland
Posts: 326
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default removing bolster frame

1990 Cafe. I'm trying to remove the frame support for the bolsters so I can repaint em. The frames have 4 screws on each side. On both frames all 4 inboard screws come right out, while all 4 outboard screws (bolts?) just turn and go nowhere. Did they really build these so that you have to cut out the floors to remove the bolster frames? I can hardly believe it, but seems so.

blown is offline  
Old 11-02-2020, 11:06 AM
  #2  
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
Posts: 12,573
Received 938 Likes on 352 Posts
Default

Just had mine pulled out. Put back in and coming out again. Pretty sure they’re just screws.
thisistank is offline  
Old 11-02-2020, 11:19 AM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fort myers fla
Posts: 165
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blown View Post
1990 Cafe. I'm trying to remove the frame support for the bolsters so I can repaint em. The frames have 4 screws on each side. On both frames all 4 inboard screws come right out, while all 4 outboard screws (bolts?) just turn and go nowhere. Did they really build these so that you have to cut out the floors to remove the bolster frames? I can hardly believe it, but seems so.
Cant tell by your pics but I removed mine on my 89 top gun to be re powder coated. I had a couple that were nut & bolted. Mine had an access cover for the fuel sender that I snaked my hand into with a wrench. Tight but it worked out.
smashm is offline  
Old 11-02-2020, 12:21 PM
  #4  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (6)
 
F-2 Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest & T-Rock
Posts: 8,244
Received 965 Likes on 460 Posts
Default

try putting pressure up on the head of the bolt while spinning it, or rock the seat frame up till it touches and rotate ccw
F-2 Speedy is offline  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:31 PM
  #5  
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
Posts: 12,573
Received 938 Likes on 352 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smashm View Post
Cant tell by your pics but I removed mine on my 89 top gun to be re powder coated. I had a couple that were nut & bolted. Mine had an access cover for the fuel sender that I snaked my hand into with a wrench. Tight but it worked out.
I just spoke to my mechanic. He said same. Few are through bolted few are large screw. Access to the bolts via panel on the floor.
thisistank is offline  
Old 11-04-2020, 07:20 PM
  #6  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Patuxent River, Maryland
Posts: 326
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Got em out. Indeed the round access port on the floor of the starboard side granted access to the bolts on that side, I couldn't get it off before but hammered at it harder today and eventually it screwed out. On the port side you can reach em by removing the panel holding the freshwater hose fixture.


blown is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by blown:
smashm (11-08-2020), thisistank (11-04-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 03:29 PM
  #7  
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fort myers fla
Posts: 165
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blown View Post
Got em out. Indeed the round access port on the floor of the starboard side granted access to the bolts on that side, I couldn't get it off before but hammered at it harder today and eventually it screwed out. On the port side you can reach em by removing the panel holding the freshwater hose fixture.
Glad it worked out for you. Can't wait to see the pics when it's back together.
smashm is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.