Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Cigarette adventure (new transoM and #6 conversion) >

Cigarette adventure (new transoM and #6 conversion)

Notices

Cigarette adventure (new transoM and #6 conversion)

Old 08-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Mounted tabs vertically but they only went as high as level with hull.

The following users liked this post:
HOSSMAN (08-20-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Registered

So after some facebook discussions where half said fine, others said no bueno I gave em a little more lift.
Can`t hurt.

The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
IGetWet (08-10-2022), rak rua (08-12-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 10:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Good lord here we go again hahaha. Looking amazing as always Dan! Probably missed the thread as I haven't been on here in awhile, but what happened with the motors? Saw you were selling your heads and obviously they are out for the drive change but are you going bigger with those too??
Old 08-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 3,019 Likes on 987 Posts

Those tabs look bad azz!!
Old 08-11-2022, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 332 Likes on 164 Posts

Tank, PM me. Thanks
Old 08-11-2022, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
So after some facebook discussions where half said fine, others said no bueno I gave em a little more lift.
Can`t hurt.

been going through the same, but thankfully they came with multiple holes.

I ended up with them level, I like how responsive they are and the ability to stuff the bow. However I’m not sure if they are touching when running wot, on the one hand my boat should be standing up on the pad. But if it has some angle to it, I could see how they might be touching the water.

I also like level because it gives me some effective tab down when planing off with out having to do anything.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:22 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
So after some facebook discussions where half said fine, others said no bueno
I'd be curious why they thought it was not good...i see nothing wrong with it. The tabs are under the greatest stress when they are forced down into the water. The cylinder is trying to get pushed pack into itself at that point. All the stress is on the side of the bolt that trying to push it back in. You have tons of meat on that backbone you drilled....id be more worried if the old hole was on the other side of how its mounted right now as it would weaken the surrounding area when its getting pushed on.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-12-2022, 10:03 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thisistank
Those tabs look bad azz!!
Izoom Mike did a fantastic jobs on them !!

Old vs. new

The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
HOSSMAN (08-20-2022), thisistank (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
I'd be curious why they thought it was not good...i see nothing wrong with it. The tabs are under the greatest stress when they are forced down into the water. The cylinder is trying to get pushed pack into itself at that point. All the stress is on the side of the bolt that trying to push it back in. You have tons of meat on that backbone you drilled....id be more worried if the old hole was on the other side of how its mounted right now as it would weaken the surrounding area when its getting pushed on.
Some responses:

I played with my tabs & trim for over an hour one day, with trim angles & tab angles. Never once did having the tabs level, ever scrub speed. There’s no reason to have them higher than neutral/level with the bottom. Just an extension of the hull at that point.
I never ran my tabs above neutral so I’d think you’d be fine as it sits. I can’t really think of a reason to be above flat unless you’re looking for the last .5 mph and that’s such a small window of operation.
n
For cruising its probably fine but all out speed it wont release the suction and will cause some drag.
]Scott Rutherford
To all that say flat is fine!!
NO ITS NOT
well, I ran a few boats in my life (I think), and even if water isn’t there… air is
It won’t work.
If it works for you then maybe your boat just isn’t fast enough? Not trying to sound negative, I don’t know your boat.
But a 38 cig that runs over 75-80 mph should not have tabs level in a turn or when it’s not more the. 2-3 foot seas!
I rig and set up and modify all kinds of boats and test them and dial them in.
Again, I don’t know your boat, but just because the apple tree grows in your yard, don’t mean it would grow in his!
Anyway it was no big deal to go higher.. and now they are adjustable. Big heavy Cig with 1000# engines and 1200# of drives that transom will be heavy .
Old 08-12-2022, 11:59 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

got it....Well just me thinking out loud here...i can see keeping them dead level as an extension of the hull....(assuming the tabs stop exactly dead level each time and ive never seen a pair do that yet) Otherwise it would be an interesting experiment to see at what speeds the tabs stop contacting the water if they are kept level....(assuming yours are mounted 3/4"-1" above the bottom of the boat) My guess is they would always contact at least on the last parts of the tips no matter how fast you can go. So if that's the case it would affect the nose up/down adjustability of the boat somewhat. Raising them higher allows you to possibly be able to raise the nose of the boat higher not having the drag of the tab trying to force it down....i see it as a win either way

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (08-12-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.