Boxes on a flat bottom

Notices

Boxes on a flat bottom

Old 01-28-2024, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
6 or 7 transmissions!? Daum.
Transmissions are the only thing that has never broken, (knock on wood)
The stupid drive guardians are another story.
I also never give it any throttle in reverse, that`s one quick way to fry a trans.Reverse clutches are the weak point otherwise pretty bullet proof.
Also have to make absolutely sure when in forward or reverse the detent is right on, otherwise you`re slipping the clutch and that wont last a day either.
Yes. Yes. And Yes.

I blew one because it wasn't engaged all the way, or it was slightly off. I think that one lasted about 30 minutes. Oh yeah, then the tailshaft housing inside the box rattled loose once - sounded god awful like something was coming apart. Tore the whole thing down just to find out it was a spacer ring rattling a little loose. Fun stuff these boats are - never ending. I'm sure there are a few other things, but I think I've blocked them from memory.

Good point on no throttle in reverse, sometimes I need to do that or risk banging into a dock (and I don't tend to dock "fast") sometimes it's just windy.

Last edited by frickstyle; 01-28-2024 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tartilla (02-29-2024)
Old 01-28-2024, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bamx bolts up directly to merc Helmut
the scx comes with a new Helmut so that needs to be swapped as far as lowers I have considered the dd lowers as well and also drive gaurdians the b max drives had lasted with no issues with 850hp and neg 2 SC lowers for years not even a sign of wear but unfortunately he isn't doing them anymore so looks like guys are having good luck with the scx and they also look way better and are serviceable by anyone that does drives unlike bmax