Gladiator Speeds

Notices

Gladiator Speeds

Old 12-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Gladiator Speeds

Originally Posted by mavrick10
JCPERF.......You say you have seen 108 with 6 blade herrings and 750's. Was that with a very light load?? What will it run on a daily basis w/ people and some fuel??
Also what pitch are those props? Sorry for so many questions. I have some 31 pitch 6 blade herrings but i don't know if i'll have to have them reworked or not. My boat will have 750 sterlings. Thanks in advance.
I am not bashing Sterling cause i work for Zul,but our motors seem to run faster then the sterlings.The reason being we build our 750s with 598 ci and the Sterlings to my knowledge are 557s.The 598 combo has more stroke which will make alot of bottom end torque over the 557 combo.Torque plays a major role in turning a large prop.Philly runs alot of pitch with our motors.Im sure the sterlings have big cams and will rev higher than the Zul package.108MPH was gotten with a light load.Still in FL heat though.They lose 2 to 3 loaded down.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:42 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BEAST1
I always wondered how is the ride when you are sitting down at those speed vs standing up???

big cats run 130-200 MPH and they are all sitdown..... so is mine, i won't stand again...
Old 12-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
big cats run 130-200 MPH and they are all sitdown..... so is mine, i won't stand again...
V bottom sit downs and cat sit downs are a little different.

I'm sure there are other people on here who can give you a better comparison, but here is mine. I've only been in one Gladiator and we had it up to 75mph in 3 footers only becuase the motors were still new. I felt very secure sitting down and it almost feels like your part of the boat. I also like the fact that when you sit down you are about eye level with the waves. I have no doubt that running 90mph feels like your on rails. I know it did in "TwinStepGun's" Top Gun. I thought your back would take a huge beating sitting down. I was wrong, and it wasn't bad. The nicest part about sitting down is after we left Shooters we had to idle home. I just sat back, turned the stereo on, and relaxed . Thanks Steve .

Bobby
Old 12-30-2004, 08:54 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Hey GL, which boat is this?

LS JR.
I'm sure he'll chime in when he comes around...
Old 12-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
I'm sure he'll chime in when he comes around...
I just figured it out.......I think

LS JR.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 Blade = more stern lift (more boat in water, flies level)

4 , 5 Blade = more bow lift (less boat in water, bow can "kite" if you are so inclined)
Old 12-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
I am not bashing Sterling cause i work for Zul, but our motors seem to run faster then the sterlings.

I can first hand back this claim. A 2003 Top Gun on Grand Lake powered with 750 Sterlings barely pulls my rig by 2-3 mph. I have the 625 Zul package. This is after an entire Summer of working on the Sterlings to get them to run reliably. The 2003 Lip-Ship Top Gun powered with 750 Zul's ran 105 (light) and was featured in Powerboat Magazine.

The 750 Sterling Gladiator that was at Lip-Ship (not built there) would only run high 90's when it arrived, if you could keep it running. After much tweaking and tuning, it finally broke 100 to run 102 or so with a light load.

Enrique Eglesias had the 750 Zul package. Neill, Philly, and myself ran it up to 106 with a half tank. That's pretty much normal operating conditions.

No slam here either. Just calling it as I've seen it.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be one very unhappy camper if my gladiator is
not a 105+ boat. I had a problem with my fountain not reaching expected speeds and I don't want back into that same situation. Back when I was trying to decide which engines to go with, sterlings or zul, I was pretty much set on the Zuls. After some discussion with my dealer and the fact that they had easier access to the sterlings, i went with the sterlings. Sterling is a big name on the race circuit so i figured i wouldn't have any problems. We'll just see though, hopefully everything will work out!

JCPERF......Are you 100% sure on the Sterlings. It is my understanding, from talk over the phone, that the Sterling 750's are the same as the 700's they build, which are 572's, yet with aluminum heads. However, i guess it really doesn't matter b/c 598's are still going to make more torque. I can see your point!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i've been in a Gladiator side by side with 575 sc's that runs 98 and some change...and Lucky Strike Jr witnessed it
Old 12-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

that boat is equipped with Xr's, shorties ...i believe 32 p 4 blades and she hits the limiter...

Quick Reply: Gladiator Speeds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.