Notices

Replacing Dash Panels - Help

Old 01-10-2005, 03:08 PM
GRS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Dash Panels - Help

I will be replacing my dash panels on a 1999 Top Gun - I thought I might solicit this forum for any suggestions and words of wisdom before I get started.

I also have a couple questions:
(1) are all the wires labeled sufficiently?
(2) is there a easy way to replace the switch panel? - do all the wires have to be removed and reconnected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GRS
Old 01-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Replacing Dash Panels - Help

Nothing is labeled. One at a time doesn't workvery well unless you cut alot of wire ties. Make your own diagram. I have them for the Top Guns with the rocker switches in a line if that will help. Very time consuming.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 40 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Garry
Learn how to do it. Then I'll let you do it on the Revolution. Ha Ha. I am just starting on the dash. Looks like it may take awhile. Good luck!
Heath
Old 01-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots an lots of wires take your time .Mark any wires you can ,Ex: senders.grnds.lites..............
Old 01-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

rewiring is really not that tough. All the gauges have common wires, and are labeled on the gauge. Main colors are, power=purple, ground=black, white=lights. The different colors are the ones comming from the senders. When you disconnect just label them. I use a piece of masking tape with the location written on it. Best to pull the panel and take it inside and pre wire all the common wires. (I did)The switch panels can be done but take your time and label all the wires. Usually they come up right behind the switch, unless someone got in there and buggered them up.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Take it apart only when you have all the stuff to replace with.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Last spring a buddy of mine repowered his boat. He's not a wrench so I told him I'd pull the motor for him. He thought he'd get a head start on the job and pulled all the wires off the guages!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When removing the Dash board, how high can you lift it before the wires start getting taut. Inotherwords, how much elbow room does Cigeratte usually leave?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to pull the dash out and turn it up side down on a towel in its places or just above , to view everything. however not every boat is built the same. I recommend marking the wires if you can also take photos of the back and everything before removing any wires. you can use this as a reference later. also use clear nylon washers for the screws before reinstalling the newly painted panels. this will help the corrosion in the future. also we drill the holes out slightly before painting to compensate for the paint filling the screw holes so the new screws dont tear the new paint and cause corrosion.

Last edited by grafikworx; 01-11-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

all i can say if it's yourfirst time your going to have a fun time. it is very time consuming. the best advise i cn give is lable each and everyone of them with tape and another great think to do is take pictures of it in different angles trust me you won't regret it

donz jr mike

Quick Reply: Replacing Dash Panels - Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.