Notices

Rocky pics..

Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rocky pics..

Originally Posted by littlenige
I have a great picture of Pleasure Seeker that I will upload tomorrow.
From the 1982 Beken's calendar?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I am not sure if that boat ever made it into the Beken calender - I don´t think so. What I do know is that the Beken shop was just down the road from me in Cowes and I used to go and buy a lot of his prints of offshore racers which for whatever reason he considered to be not good enough(slightly under-exposed and things like that) - so Beken would have a box full of shots going cheap! The shot I have is the same as seen on the ceiling in an earlier post!!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered

The only one pic of Pleasure Seeker it's in my Beken's calendar of 1982.
But I can scan it because too much big!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
I am not sure if that boat ever made it into the Beken calender - I don´t think so. What I do know is that the Beken shop was just down the road from me in Cowes and I used to go and buy a lot of his prints of offshore racers which for whatever reason he considered to be not good enough(slightly under-exposed and things like that) - so Beken would have a box full of shots going cheap! The shot I have is the same as seen on the ceiling in an earlier post!!
What Ever happened to Beken,His Calenders just disappeared one day. I knew the distributor for the Calendars in the States, he didn't know what he when he started to sell them. I told him to take a truck loadof them to Key West that year for the worlds and he could sell a bunch,,he did and sold out all he could get his hands on.
I think i had just about every year that was imported to the States.
thank you

Jim
Old 10-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered

The Beken of Cowes Shop have a website but they are little crazy,because once upon a time I asked them some offshore pics to buy but they never answer.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Marco,

Thank you,, Beken had some great offshore photos at one time.
Shame if they are hidden away some where?

Thank you
Jim
Old 11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

Jim,

Here the Beken website. Good luck with them!
http://www.beken.co.uk/
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Registered

Jim,

I think the answer to your question about the lack of powerboat calenders from Beken stems from several things. I think the main reason is that he has always (in my opinion) my a good living from shooting the action locally in the Solent of the numerous yachts out there. (As a kid at the weekend I used to work in a gas station in Cowes filling up cars and he certainly drove a nice Lamborghini for a number of years!!). The frequency of events that actually offered Powerboat Racing in the UK where the big boats attended (which let´s face it are more impressive in their presence in a photograph) have always been few and far between. The audience numbers for an offshore powerboat calender must be minute compared to the yachting fraternity. (Although that may have changed for the better in recent years).

I could never understand why he sometimes had obviously chartered a helicopter or light a/c and gone to take shots of the raceboats in America - because he once told me directly that it just wasn´t good commercial sense to continue to produce the calenders. (I once applied for a job with Beken).

I met the guy who used to produce the alternative calenders over in the states years ago - Greg Grabowski?? Really nice guy who took some great shots.

Now I have my scanner working again I will upload some over the weekend!!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:48 AM
Registered

Nigel,
but because' Beken Of Cowes doesn't make the catalog available with everybody or a part of the 500.000 photos that it says to have in file? They make it so many photographers and other sites of auto-racing that put in sale their photos and that for this they make to see the catalog of the images so' one can choose and to order.
In their site you must go to intuition. You try to make an application and then, after having paid you to them they answer if they have it or no.
Don't seem me a good method of business.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Registered

Marco,

You say about requesting specific photo´s is not a good way to do business, but as I said before, prior to more recent times (thinking of the benefits of this new found internet marvel), I just don´t think it made good business sense to continue to incur the costs of producing a powerboat calender for a very small number of people.

With regard to selling photo´s from their library by request - this system works well. My avatar is courtesy of Beken. For years Eraf was and still is my favourite boat of all time (sorry Richie!) - something about that Cig 36 wide body shape and colour! I contacted Beken and they sent me a proof sheet from which I ordered a wonderful colour print of De Angelis´ trusty steed.

If any of you want a photo of any old racer, it´s well worth contacting them for proof sheets. The final prints are tremendous.

Quick Reply: Rocky pics..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.